What's leather and what's not!

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Can anyone confirm what's actually real leather, and what's not on a 4200?
Okay the seats and the middle/lower dash are leather, but what about the top dash, pillars, and door trims?
I don't really want to be treating leather, that's not actually leather!
Cheers
Mike

Parisien

Thread on this on Maseratilife.................I beleive.....its just the seats....nothing else!

P

nigw

From memory it's not all of the seats either, just the seat faces. A quality 3200 on the other hand......

Woody

I was surprised to learn the dash-top is not leather.....surprised = disappointed. I almost dont want to know if the rest is plastic....is smells like leather!

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Searching on Maserati Life it does appear that the seat facings are the only leather parts.
Does it really matter? it looks good if not leather!
At least I know not to condition the vinyl.
Thanks
Mike

Parisien

Leatherette............no idea of actual composition........feel free to be disappointed.....

;)

P

adam01

I was surprised to learn the dash-top is not leather.....surprised = disappointed. I almost dont want to know if the rest is plastic....is smells like leather!

MCV's dont have that issue, just fake suede :)

conaero

Forum Owner
The 3200 is indeed all leather where the only parts that are leather on the GS are the seat faces and the door card grab handles. The option leather headliner is leather, and maybe the gear knob on the manual 4200 but apart from that everything else is leatherette.

conaero

Forum Owner
No it's all plastic. Forgot to say, the steering wheels are naturally leather too.

TBF the plastic vs leather match is perfect and the plastic is more subtle and takes the shape better.

Andyk

Dead right there Matt...Looks like leather.......But for some reason I feel a bit cheated. Always thought it was leather......

Parisien

.............such it life eh Andy..................if it looks like a duck....waddles like a duck..............quacks like a duck......it MUST be ..............................leatherette......;)

P

abyss

I pulled dashtop off my GS and it is definitely real leather as well as the seat face

So far in real leather in mine are:
- seat face
- dashtop
- sunvisors
- headliner
- rear armrest

conaero

Forum Owner
Abyss, its basically the things you touch that are leather, so I can believe the rear armrest being leather.

My 2006 GS dash top was definitely plastic as it had a wrinkle in it, so I pulled it and restretched it and glued it.

The leather sun visors come with the optional leather headlining, as they are alcantar as standard from memory.

So, on a stock GS, the leather items should be:
Front and Rear seat faces
Front door card grab handles
Rear seat armrest
Steering wheel center
and dash top on some.

Option:
Headliner and sunvisors.

Emtee

MCV's dont have that issue, just fake suede :)

Fake suede?? !! Alcantara is an Italian mountain goat? The Balkan Chamois gets chopped into cleaning cloths and the Italian Alcantara gets to adorn the interiors of exotic Italian super-cars? Please don't tell me I'm wrong!?

I don't know, next you'll be telling me that carbon fibre doesn't come from the desiccated horn of the unicorn!

Gullible

Options for leather above standard Plastic/leatherette were:
DRS1 Custom lower door panels 364014594 Nero (Italian soft Black leather option)
DSH1 Custom Dashboard 364014594 (Italian soft Black leather option)
according to my build sheet.
:)