My Boot wont close

chippiepilot

Hi all, tried to open the boot this morning, after a couple of attempts (using the key and the button in the glovebox) then when I brought the lid down it did not want to close, could it be the cold weather?

cheers

hodroyd

Check that the latch is fully open (the hook bit that goes around the pillar on the body), sometimes they do not fully open and then will not latch properly when trying to close. If sticking try to grease it.

davidhowson

I had this happen to me once. Turned out to be the rubber seal had moved right by the lock and this was catching when I tried to close the lid.
-David-

Parisien

Boots are not the strongest points in these cars...either they leak....or only close after 2/3 attempts......middle ground is hard to get sometimes

P

Parisien

Well....mine took 2/3/4 attempts to seal petrol filler opening, take off rears lights to reseal, drill hole in fibre glass spare wheel well...check rubber seals.......the list goes on.....

P

Parisien

Lots have had these issues Robert....common flaw......eventually get them fixed.....in this instance...the rear lights were unsealed along on side....water makes its way in and goes to lowest point( rmember we get 366 days rain here EVERY year....;)...).....gathers up....rank smell after a while

P

conaero

Forum Owner
If the seal looks ok and the lock too, then you might have pushed the catch bar on the boot frame down.

Its only a couple of 13mm bolts, then raise it a little and see if that sorts it. Not the position of you boot in relation to the rear wings alignment before you go moving the catch.

I think you might have to remove the plastic panel to get to the bolts, they are just held on by cross head screws.

Parisien

You can check closure by using chalk on top edge/bottom edge to ensure they meet evenly and completely also.

P

hodroyd

Well what can I say, does this mean the 3200 is better!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Emtee

I had this a while back, but thankfully just the once, as it could have been rather embarrassing!!

It turned out that in spite of very careful packing to make maximum use of the limited boot space (several similar packages but of varying sizes), the blighters dis-membered hand wasn't properly shrink-wrapped and was hanging out the back of me boot! A pair of secateurs and a bit of finger snipping and voila, the boot was shutting perfectly again.

You learn by your mistakes and I've not had that problem since.

Hope this helps?......

midlifecrisis

I had this a while back, but thankfully just the once, as it could have been rather embarrassing!!

It turned out that in spite of very careful packing to make maximum use of the limited boot space (several similar packages but of varying sizes), the blighters dis-membered hand wasn't properly shrink-wrapped and was hanging out the back of me boot! A pair of secateurs and a bit of finger snipping and voila, the boot was shutting perfectly again.

You learn by your mistakes and I've not had that problem since.

Hope this helps?......

And I suppose you drilled a hole in the spare wheel well to get rid of the blood? This forum is a treasure trove of good advice

Parisien

.........yup.......just like on a pathologists table............just to allow easy drainage of all body fluids......;)

P

Emtee

And I suppose you drilled a hole in the spare wheel well to get rid of the blood? This forum is a treasure trove of good advice

Oh Martin, you mustn't have transported a dis-membered body in a Maserati? Were I to drill a hole in the tyre well, yes the boot would be a little easier to clean, but much like Theseus in the maze of Hades, I would be leaving a bloody thread for all to follow..

midlifecrisis

Funnily enough no but today I felt like having a cyclist who BLATANTLY pulled out in front of me at a roundabout...he could have been my first but I didn't have any secateurs on me and it was broad daylight. So instead he got a cold stare.(imagine Paddington Bear!)