Reading error codes on an early 3200GT

ledlights

Due to popular demand (!) here's how I did it (thanks to Javier and Sander QP for the help).

I've asked Sander's permission to host his code on the forum, which he's now granted, so if anyone would like to try this out here are the files:

Here's the installation manual for the interface: http://www.sportsmaserati.co.uk/Unidiag/InterfaceInstallationManual.pdf

The KWP2000 version for the engine ECU: http://www.sportsmaserati.co.uk/Unidiag/UniDiagKWP2000_0_5_0_11.zip

And the KWP71 version used for Airbag and ABS communication elsewhere in the Fiat Group (I've not tried this out on the 3200): http://www.sportsmaserati.co.uk/Unidiag/UniDiagKWP71_0_5_0_9.zip

If you'd like to join the group to get the latest updates or cables, you can do so here: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/UniDiag

Firstly, obtain a VW Audi Group com interface and a 3-pin Fiat, Lancia/Alfa adapter from ebay or the Unidiag forum on Yahoo. They look like this:

2012-04-19-007.jpg

It needs to connect to the right ISO connector. It's found behind the carpet on the RHS of the driver footwell:

2012-04-19-010.jpg

Then connect up the adapters (after having installed all the drivers and Unidiag KWP2000 on your PC), attach the red fly lead to the positive terminal of the battery and turn on your ignition. It should look something like this:

2012-04-19-012.jpg

The Unidiag software needs to be set to slow 5 baud init, to complete handshaking with the engine ECU. The setup page looks like this:

Connect1.jpg

Finally, if you're unlucky, your stored error list looks like this:

Stored DTCs.jpg

This list added up over a year. In fact, the only problem was with the 2 lambda sensors and once replaced no new codes appeared.

Sander has said he'd produce a def file specifically for the 3200 for a small fee - this would give a more natural description of the error codes. Let me know if you're interested and I'll explore this further with him.

Steve

Last edited:

hodroyd

Brilliant bit of work, when you say early 3200's, are these the SD2's, without the connector under the dash, because your pics suggest a connector under the dash?
No sorry, looking closer at the pics I understand now, ddddaaaa

Last edited:

rotorheadcase

I can confirm this works brilliantly... The only issue I had was that the red fly lead is too short to reach the battery so you need to find a 12V source under the dash or as I did solder a 2 metre length of cable on to the fly lead to reach the battery. I will probably make up a cigar lighter adapter to utilise the 12V power in the console at some point.

Only thing I would add is that the software will not automatically select your correct COM port so you will need to manualy select it in the small box on the left side of the interface. As indicated above the handshake must be set to 5 baud slow init manually as well.

Thanks again for this VERY useful DIY.

Regards,

Neil

javier

Excellent guide, thanks for taking the time to put it all together :)

Regards,

Javier

Hi all, sorry to be a nuisance, but can any one tell me how to set up the KWP 71 version to read error codes on the ABS system?
Many thanks in advance.

ledlights

Hi, sorry but I've not tried it. The only thing I could suggest is to see whether the ABS system has been cracked for another car. Failing that, I've seen a number of articles that show you how to test the transducers individually - maybe they would help?

Kind regards,

Steve

Thanks, but the fault is very intermmitent, and I have tested the sensors (all the resistance values are very close). The LHR sensor seems to have a lower voltage amplitude than the RHR and some paperwork with the vehicle suggests this sensor has stored a fault before. I have tried substituting the wiring from LHR to RHR, but the lower amplitude stays with the LHR. Without the benefit of a working code reader, the next step may be to check the sensor air gaps and/or swap the sensors left to right. Both toothed rings have already been replaced elsewhere, presumably for this fault. While in my posession, the vehicle has not misbehaved once, but the owner is very keen for me to find a reason for the intermmitent failure of the ABS/traction/speedo. My time working for BMW suggests a LHR sensor problem, as they used Bosch ABS, and the speedo signal would always fail in conjunction with the LHR sensor.

You can probably understand my need to read and clear the codes to at least validate any further testing/substitutions, as well as to clear the codes I have already caused by my work so far!

hodroyd

The gaps have to be correct, or the readings will be different and show a potential fault, if the rings have been changed, this sounds like a possible thing to look at.

Alecci

My 3200GT has started showing a CEL everytime I start it. Since the car's in winter hibernation at the moment I've not been able to perform any extensive test drive, but it seems the car drives normal the short distance I dared drive it. It seems, therefore, that trying to read the error codes would be the next appropriate step.

My far-from-perfect language skills, however, pose an obstacle to completely being able to understand the procedure described in the OP. If I understand it correctly, all I should need is a laptop, the interface and two cables. Correct?

ledlights

Yes, the unidiag software is on the link in the "how to" guide. You need a laptop, a KKL interface (from Sander on the unidiag forum or from ebay) and possibly an adapter to change the interface from OBD standard to 3-pin ISO, if required. I think you'll need this because you should have a series 1 car. I also used a long piece of wire to get easy access to +12V from the battery, as you need to power the interface. Follow the guide and you should be able to get it to work.

Regards,

Steve

ahvlanico

is the 3200 based on a motronic 2.7 like the F355 ? this wiring and connector remind me my f355 diagnose..maybe it could work on a F355 ?

Alecci

The link to the software doesn't seem to work, does anyone know where else to get one's hands on it?

ledlights

Allecci,

If you pm me your email address I'll send you the files or you can join the unidiag forum on yahoo.

Regards,

Steve