Wheeler Dealers Engine De-Coke

jamesc69

Did anyone see Wheeler Dealers last night? something was shown which might be of interest.. .

Edd China used a new machine (Fuel System Decabonizer) where compressed air forced some highly refined fuel into the injector rail and the engine ran on that fuel for the cleaning process (it took about an hour). Whilst the engine was running on said fuel it cleaned from the engine to the end of the exhaust system "like colonic irrigation for the engine" pre-combustion and post combustion.

New technology being rolled out at the moment, cost around £70 dependant on engine size. Seemed to do the trick on the Jaguar.

Is this just a conventional engine De-Coke ??

Views appreciated ?? !!

2b1ask1

Special case
Yes I did see it last night James but was too pooped to put it on here...

I think it is in with a real shout of making any older petrol engine significantly better without megga expense of nuts and bolts to take the head(s) off. I have been looking at the merrits of getting the injectors ultra sonically cleaned (costs about £40 each) and this will give around 40% improvement on a 70k mile engine. It is only the injectors though. For the same money or less Edd's system de-cokes the whole system so it really appeals to me....

Just need to find someone who has it in their arsenal now!

hodroyd

There seems to be exclusions on certain fuel injection systems, proceed with caution and be sure before you go. I have used Redex and found that coupled with such as Shell V-Power keeps the engine really clean and full of power as normal.

2b1ask1

Special case
I have made a direct enquiry to the manufacurers and invited them to contribute directly to the thread.... Lets wait and see what comes of it!

2b1ask1

Special case
Personally I have not used redex or any other fluid systems in my Maserati but have used several ytpes in other budget motors over the years. When my daughter got her Corsa about 3 years ago I replacedthe plugs and ran a large spray can top end de-coke system through the induction pipe and that definately found some of the missing horses (it didn't have many to lose), other motors have had some success with redex and I even chuck some in the soot chuckers on occasions....

conaero

Forum Owner
Did anyone see Wheeler Dealers last night? something was shown which might be of interest.. .

Edd China used a new machine (Fuel System Decabonizer) where compressed air forced some highly refined fuel into the injector rail and the engine ran on that fuel for the cleaning process (it took about an hour). Whilst the engine was running on said fuel it cleaned from the engine to the end of the exhaust system "like colonic irrigation for the engine" pre-combustion and post combustion.

New technology being rolled out at the moment, cost around £70 dependant on engine size. Seemed to do the trick on the Jaguar.

Is this just a conventional engine De-Coke ??

Views appreciated ?? !!

Was out on the town last night, the usual curry with the boys. Sky+ it, so Ill have a gander tonight.

conaero

Forum Owner
Here you go, check this out:

[video=youtube;9sjZ1wib34w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sjZ1wib34w[/video]

hodroyd

Very interesting, worth a look. Let us know what response you get Newton??
Thanks James & Newton for bringing this up.

Elliott653

I've just watched the episode and it was fascinating both in its simplicity and, seemingly, in the results. Definitely something I'd consider. In particular with my Hawk's Alfa engine.

Fat Arnie

I think it would be interesting to look into a combustion chamber before and after and see the visible difference. I have an boroscope if anyone is thinking of getting this done.

rossyl

I only saw this episode today. Togive a bit more info. They do a fuel check and carbon monoxide is at 1% but hydrocarbons are at a fail level for MOT purposes. They then run a fuel system decarboniser. This reduces the hydrocarbon to a near zero and carbon monoxide to 0.5%. He does not do a rolling road or mpg test to prove any effect, but of course claims that the fuel system being cleaner releases horse power and increases fuel economy.

So has anyone had it done or similar?

I remember reading somewhere on this forum that fuel system cleaning can cause problems and a written guarantee should be asked from the garage doing it. Or was that something else?

That said apparently this is new technology, so maybe there aren't any concerns, or its too new technology to have had many reviews.

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
If the hydro carbons going through the engine without being burnt are drastically reduced you are going to get better MPG with the same power or more power for the same fuel burn, maybe better MPG and power at the same time. Fuel technology is improving all the time and it is not surprising that kit like this is coming on the market. As long as it doesn't affect the fuel system seals, and it shouldn't, I would have it done on my cars.

hodroyd

I use Redex from time to time and use fuel such as Shell VPower, which has effective cleaners in it. I find this does the job and unless my engine was really sluggish I would not think this system would be worth it in the long run, just in case it did any damage to seals and gaskets, which could cost more than the treatment to replace?

hodroyd

Years ago I once did an oil flush and it virtually cost me the engine big end shells???

EnzoMC

I saw this a while back and did a little research and seemed good, I've booked this in for tomorrow for both cars (Mas and hairdryer) - found this thread with some valid points, and now not sure if such a good idea.

agree with engine flush, not good, but this is more on the fuel system side and the top of the pistons.

I have made a direct enquiry to the manufacurers and invited them to contribute directly to the thread.... Lets wait and see what comes of it!

no feedback - hmmm

I think it would be interesting to look into a combustion chamber before and after and see the visible difference. I have an boroscope if anyone is thinking of getting this done.

bit late to take you up on your offer

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
FYI, I had the Terraclean treatment done on both my BM diesels, a 54 320D and an 08 335D. The 335D has about 75k and runs very well. The treatment didn't have a noticeable effect on every day running but the exhaust tips don't go black as quickly as they did. However, the 320D was much different. It has 203k on it but ever since we bought it with 140k it never really performed as well as I thought it should. It was ok but didn't really pull through to the limiter with any gusto. After treatment it did. Now it pulls really well right through the rev range. The occasional cough it had under power has gone and the injector clean I had slated for it is no longer necessary, saving me over £300. From experience I found it works better with very high mileage, and therefore very dirty, diesels. Having said that I will get the Maser done just to keep it running tip top.