Spark plug change

Paul L

Sponsor
Hi 2b1...we did this last year......the guy in the USA can do sets of 8 for $69.90 = £45 plus postage, he does them in groups of 16 cheaper to post no other taxes etc...............over here they are about £75-80 plus postage.

I might put up a new thread and bump it for a while to get numbers up...16 members took advantage of this last summer.

P

Hi 2b1 & Parisien,

I am definite for ordering the plugs for the 3200 as prev posts

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
If you are getting numbers for a bulk buy, please put my name down as I desperately need the extra power. And economy!

Parisien

Hi BennyD...what we did was "pair up" for postage reasons, get the 16 sent to one UK address, then they forward of pass onto the second at one of our meets.

So will put your name down on the other thread with further details ok?

P

tonym3

Great write up really good detail I will be using this very soon.
The spark plugs mentioned earlier in the thread I noticed this was a fair while ago, are these still the plug of choice for the 4200? I have found some on EBay that seem to match the ones in the description for £93 delivered.

Last edited:

ratirati

"They are IU24 - 5362. Iridium plugs don't need gapping so no need to worry about anything other than swapping them over."

Just to be clear, because I think I will do this, are these the plugs I would use in a 2002 Maserati Coupe? Thanks.

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
I fitted the Iridiums in 2011 and they are still in and running beautifully. I have heard of the occasional problem with them but I haven't experienced any as yet (touch wood!). Best you keep your standard plugs to one side just in case you do as you can refit them knowing they are working ok.

Parisien

We had done a forum buy from the USA 3 years ago, a decent few quid were saved, but I stuck to my standard plugs all the same

P

ratirati

Ok. So I did the research and am satisfied that the Denso is the way to go.

I found a good deal on Denso Iridium Power spark plugs. IU24 6352.
see:
http://www.sparkplugauto.com/denso/iridium-power/denso-iridium-power-iu24-spark-plug.html

These fit the Coupe, and are a direct replacement for NGK PMR8A specified in owner's manual. They do not need to be gapped. I don't know about the Spyder, but I would think it's the same. I'm going to install them in my 2002 Coupe. Too many good things to say about Iridium plugs. I will use them also in my Hyosung motorcycle. Coincidently, they are the exact same plugs.

Here's a spark plug cross reference guide:
http://www.sparkplug-crossreference.com/

And, here's a great description from the Denso website. Also, click on "Find My Part":
http://www.densoiridium.com/ir_power.php

Last edited:

hodroyd

Thanks Ratirati..!! That's about £65.00 for 8 delivered to the UK, pretty good, let's hope there's no duty..!! Let us know the end result if you can..??

Last edited:

ratirati

I just ordered them, so I'll follow the DIY installation guide at the beginning of this thread when I get them.
I live in the U.S., so there's no duty, and since it's online, no tax either.
I did see something on sparkplugauto.com about "it is the responsibility of the buyer to pay any duty or tax".
You could probably skip that.
I'm excited about this upgrade. The Denso website's information is mind-blowing.

Last edited:

ratirati

Just a cautionary note. I placed the order with sparkplugauto.com but immediately wanted to change/cancel my order and add more items. They seem impossible to reach by phone or email, at least for one full day. I don't know what's going on there, but I'll keep you all posted on further developments.

They're not the only place to get these plugs for under $10 apiece. eBay.com has many of them, and there are other auto parts websites, too. No need to pay ridiculously high prices for the same plugs.

Parisien

Yeah...need to be sure of your source, lots of positive feedback too if buying off ebay

P

ratirati

Thanks everyone. I still got no reply from that vendor, but they sent me an email saying the order is shipped.

I will report back when I install them. Should I expect a noticeable difference in performance, or is this just one of those things to do that gives you peace of mind that you're using the best parts you can buy?

Last edited: