Spark plug change

lozcb

This is a very simple job - but for those are a bit unsure here's what I did:

First buy some spark plugs! I had heard good things about Denso Iridium so thought I'd give them a go over the standard NGKs. Sourced from eBay in the US I paid £56 for 8 - half the price they're selling here it seems.

4200_Sparkplugs_1.jpg

They are IU24 - 5362. Iridium plugs don't need gapping so no need to worry about anything other than swapping them over.

Get a phillips screwdriver and with the engine cold - open the bonnet (bonnet release driver's side footwell) and remove the trim:

4200_Sparkplugs_2.jpg

Make sure the struts are put back properly after removing the side panels - you don't want the bonnet falling on your head if you accidentally knock one!

4200_Sparkplugs_3.jpg

Put all the parts in a safe place - use the opportunity to wash the plastic panels if so inclined.

You'll need most of these tools to change the plugs - extension bars make things a bit easier:

4200_Sparkplugs_4.jpg

You have the option to remove the covers that hide the coil-pack leads. You don't have to but I found it beneficial:

4200_Sparkplugs_5.jpg

4200_Sparkplugs_6.jpg

4200_Sparkplugs_7.jpg

4200_Sparkplugs_8.jpg

4200_Sparkplugs_9.jpg

Refitting the coil-pack tighten to 10Nm. I did one at a time as there's no chance of getting a coil in the wrong cylinder and the wiring is easier to put back.

Refit all the panels, remembering to connect the bonnet sensor and the gas struts properly and you're done! Should take an hour at most - longer if you're a bit fussy and want to clean everything as you go:

Hope this helps!
[Send Private Message]

Last edited:

conaero

Forum Owner
Great write up Loz just one thing to add, don't lean on you wings whilst doing this job, or any engine related job in fact as they bend and dent really easy.

Also, when closing the bonnet, drop it from the last 6 to 8 inches and never, repeat, never push the leading edge of the bonnet to check its shut. Its instinct to do this but can result in the bonnet leading edge creasing over the support frame underneath, and that will irritate you when it happens.

Its little things like these that is the reason you should only ever take your car to someone who knows these cars, others will not.

duncscot

An excelent tech peice Loz.... we should have more like this, complete with the "how to do" pics. Great stuff

Emtee

Well what an enjoyable couple of hours I've had this afternoon. My Denso's arrived last week and I've just fitted them.

Now at this point I should say that, other than changing my front brake pads a couple of weeks ago, I haven't done anything auto-mechanical for 20 odd years and so this was set to be an interesting experience, and one I wouldn't have attempted without Loz's excellent how-to; indeed I wouldn't have attempted the brake pads without Matt's how-to either! Thanks must additionally go to Parisien for sourcing the plugs at a very competitive rate and organising a forum purchase.

I studied Loz's how too, made a note of the tools needed and, after an evening on the tinterweb checking prices, took myself down to Halfrauds who were offering a £100 discount on one of their 'professional' kits and got myself tooled up. (Sorry Adam, I know you'll think Halfrauds is not the place to get tools, but they'll be fine fine my purposes).

And do you know what, everything went exactly as Loz described. I had the right tools for the job, knew what to expect, and got the job done in about an hour and a half.., and it really was a very enjoyable and satisfying process.

If I might just add that I found using a universal joint on cylinders 3 and 4 helped in getting around the coolant and brake fluid tanks.

Best of all I took the car for a run afterwards and I cannot describe what a difference there was, the car pulled like a steam train! very positive through the throttle and appreciably torquier. I cannot recommend these plugs highly enough, what a difference!

So...... A big thanks to the members and shared knowledge-base of Sports Maserati. Wouldn't have done it without you!

conaero

Forum Owner
Right, mine are going in tonight them Myles, should have done it for the track day really, but then again, more power probably would not have really been needed TBH.

Emtee

Right, mine are going in tonight them Myles, should have done it for the track day really, but then again, more power probably would not have really been needed TBH.

I wish I'd had them prior to Llandow Matt, as I'd have definitely fitted them. I'll be interested to hear what you think to the drive once you've fitted them. The ones I replaced in mine were dry, but obviously well worn, so the difference was marked, the engine has a real urgency to it now.

Parisien

Off another web site.......

The Denso IU-24 iridium is equivalent to a NGK CR8E non iridium in heat range...whats normally used in a 3200?

Will ask the guy in the USA whom we bulk bought dozens off last year.

P

Paul L

Sponsor

The Denso IU-24 iridium is equivalent to a NGK CR8E non iridium in heat range...whats normally used in a 3200?

P

Cheers Parisen

Paul l

Parisien

Any one know how real these claims are ( off an ebay advert)?

DENSO IRIDIUM SPARK PLUGS
SET OF 4

Performance Iridium Plugs for Cars listed in the title.

Why Iridium?
Enhanced spark precision, Thanks to the 0.4mm Iridium center electrode.
Longer life, Denso's patented Iridium metal has a melting point more than twice that of pure Gold.
Better Spark, U-Groove ground electrode maintains a quality spark even at low voltage levels.

STANDARD PLUG 0.4mm IRIDIUM

TESTED POWER FIGURES
UP 1.4%
TESTED ACELERATION
50km/h to 150km/h
0.7 SECONDS FASTER
HORSEPOWER 1.4% UP
OVER STANDARD PLUGS
UP TO 5% IMPROVEMENT
ON FUEL CONSUMPTION

This sale is for the best iridium plugs on the market
brand new set of plugs - in the box

DENSO MAKE PLUGS FOR ALL CARS - PLEASE CHECK OUR OTHER LISTINGS

DENSO MAKE PLUGS FOR TUNNING COMPANY HKS - AMONGST MANY OTHERS
please note this set is branded "denso"

2b1ask1

Special case

P

Anyone else looking for these now perhaps enough interest to do a bulk buy through the forum???

http://www.globaldenso.com/cgi-bin/global/plug/euro/4w/4w-plug.cgi?action=search&filename=4w-51.txt

This is the Denso list of plugs available for Maseratis all models!

Parisien

Hi 2b1...we did this last year......the guy in the USA can do sets of 8 for $69.90 = £45 plus postage, he does them in groups of 16 cheaper to post no other taxes etc...............over here they are about £75-80 plus postage.

I might put up a new thread and bump it for a while to get numbers up...16 members took advantage of this last summer.

P