My Ferrari factory tour.

Andyk

Was lucky enough to have a factory tour arranged whilst I was in Italy last week......It was just brilliant and really made the holiday even more of an event.

Sorry but no pictures aloud so you will have to just use your imagination...........

We started off the Museo Ferrari...There was myself and another couple from the UK who had a 575..So only 3 of us...Liz couldn't join me as she had to stay with Dan and Alex as you had to be 17 to go into the factory.

We were greeted by two very lovely and petit 20 years old girls dress in Ferrari outfits..These were our guides. They took us around the Museo and talked around some of the cars on show..road and F1..............

Now I always thought Ferraris were red because this is what Enzo decided but no...The first Ferrari was yellow along with the back ground of the badge as this is the colour of his home town Modena....................It was the International Automoblie Federation that assigned the colour red to all Italian cars that wanted to enter motor racing..(Alfa/Maserati/Ferrari), all British cars green, all Dutch cars yellow, all German cars silver and French cars blue.....Never new that...

Then had a sort coach ride to the factory where we went through the famous old part of the factory and headed down to the new part of the factory.

Our first stop was the engine parts assembly which arranges parts for V8 and V12 engines for Ferrari and Maserati.......This new part of the factory is part of the Formula Uomo project which is a concept of placing its employees needs at the very centre of the companies activities.......This was a huge activity and in the middle of the factory was meeting rooms, canteen areas and a forest.......Plants/trees, etc.......Just looked really odd with all the mechnical stuff going on around......

Also around the building were static displays of Ferrari cars, racing cars old and new...The reason for this was that Luca di Montezemolo realised that the employees in this part the operation never saw the finnal product so wanted them to see the end product whilst they worked to give them inspiration.

Along the one wall were pictures of the cars the V8's went into....so Ferraris and Maserati......This operartion had robots and manual work...

We then went onto the engine assembly unit....The first thing I noticed was a bank of Maserati V8 engines..what a sight....blue and red cam covers.......The V8's are assembled by man and robots....The V12's by hand and by one person who signs the engine once he had finished because Ferrari believe the V12 is a work of art...

Next stop the California, 458 Coupe and Spider production line....

This was amazing....there were 3 lines where the car went down..each one at a different stage of build......The whole place had a magnetic floor which had this carts/robots driving around with no one in them..it was like something from Star Wars and you had to have eyes in the back of your head as they stopped for no one.....

Each car moved down the line to a diffent operator who had a certain amount of time to do his/her bit....There was a clock that told them if they were on time or not....Running along side each car was a trolley that had all the options that the customer had ordered in it.If.......Some many cars in so many colours.....

Right at the end there was a robot that fitted all the glass and then the car was left in a area at the front ready for a test driver to give it a 50k test drive around Modena....Every car goes through this.....At the time there was arounf 10 cars waiting..458's and 458 Spider....The Spider looks so good....

We did ask if we would see the new Berlinetta but tis was not on the tour but she would try and see if she could get us in to see the car...Then just as she said this a grey on drove past up and down the main drag....What a car, what a noise.....Stunning...I need a lottery win....

A short coach journey to the Fiorano track and the F1 and Ferrai racing quarters..........Couldn't go in the F1 quarters which was a shame but we did see a 458 with all sorts of wings going around the track and Luci di Montezemolo taking off in his helecopter...

One of the best bits for me was a visit to the FXX special customer area....Here was a warehouse full of Enzo FXX and 599 FXX customer cars.......These are the cars that Ferrari keep at the factory and take to a number of races for the owners.....Whilst there two 599FXX started up and drove out....Thought my ears were goung to bleed..The noise....

We then went through to a warehouse with 40 customer F1 cars..... Some thing..These are cars Ferrari have sold to the more well healed customers which they keep at the factory....

So back on the coach and a trip to the Ferrari store where we all were given a La Ferrari 2011 year book and off on our way.

All in all a great experience and probably once in a life time for me...If you are going to Italy get your local Ferrari dealer to arrange a factory tour for you..Its well worth it....

GransportFan1

This has confirmed it for me, i need to go.

Interesting story regarding the colour, always thought it was odd the Italian cars were Red and the Merc's and Auto Unions were Silver.

The XX cars are racing at Silverstone on September 15/16 ( i think) Andy plus a world record attempt Ferrari convoy, well worth going IMO.

What a fantastic experience, did you go past Pagani or Lamborghini whilst in Italy ?

Andyk

Had planned to go to all Adam but we were so long in Marennello we didn't get chance as the boys were starting to get tired and it was 2 hours from Lake Garda....

Woody

Sounds great Andy. I wish I'd tried to do it when I was there. Was it easy to arrange?

conaero

Forum Owner

Interesting story regarding the colour, always thought it was odd the Italian cars were Red and the Merc's and Auto Unions were Silver.

The XX cars are racing at Silverstone on September 15/16 ( i think) Andy plus a world record attempt Ferrari convoy, well worth going IMO.

What a fantastic experience, did you go past Pagani or Lamborghini whilst in Italy ?

We will be doing it in the Autumn, watch this space.

Andyk

My Father in law worked for VOSA recalls for Europe...He has contacts through out......So he got a colleague to contact Ferrari Europe and they arranged...Think you can get it through the dealers.

philw696

Me and Enzo have our cars registered for that record breaking attempt.

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
I think you just had my dream holiday. Looks and sounds terrific. Those Ferraris are a common sight! :)

GransportFan1

My Father in law worked for VOSA recalls for Europe...He has contacts through out......So he got a colleague to contact Ferrari Europe and they arranged...Think you can get it through the dealers.

Yep, FNE ( Ferrari North Europe) arrange it all, when i had my interview with Ferrari, the FNE director interviewed me and told me all about the trips/tours they organise for customers.

Woody

Yep, FNE ( Ferrari North Europe) arrange it all, when i had my interview with Ferrari, the FNE director interviewed me and told me all about the trips/tours they organise for customers.

O/T - what did you interview for Adam? Have you heard back?

GransportFan1

This was ages ago Woody when i was looking at the dealer tech apprenticeship, made it through to the final but i would never have broke even on transport costs as the pay was so poor and would not have had a car until 21.

Woody

oouf....tough call!

I wont ask further questions, so not to de-rail the thread but hope you're working now.

Mr.Cambio

Andy, thank you for the report!

One general question:How can you arrange a factory tour? I have mailed them twice, and they told me i need to be an F-owner. IS it so simple in the UK to arrange?

Autumn trip would be nice guys...

safrane

Great write up. I did now about the red-paint as it was on Top-Gear when May told the story of British Racing Green.

Andyk

Andy, thank you for the report!

One general question:How can you arrange a factory tour? I have mailed them twice, and they told me i need to be an F-owner. IS it so simple in the UK to arrange?

Autumn trip would be nice guys...

Nikos, if you have a friendly Ferrari dealer they should be able to sort it out........

Emtee

Thanks for the great write up Andy. Sounds like you were well looked after. Did you get inside the SP department?

Andyk

No Miles....Thought it was on the tour but it was the FXX division.......Which must say was a real treat......Seeing around 10 Enzo FXX and 10 599 FXX up close was one of those things that will probably never happen again....Everytime one of these cars are raced by their owners they have a little sticker put on the windscreen like the fighter pilots used to put on there planes every time they shot down a enemy plane in WW1..............A great fighter pilot in WW1 gave Enzo his emblem which he used to put on the side of his fighter plane after every kill...That emblem was the prancing horse........A nod to the past.....

Blox

Really interesting write up Andy although I do think you skipped over the "two very lovely and petit 20 years old girls dressed in Ferrari outfits" rather too quickly for my liking....