buying a 3200- what should i look for

Parisien

2001 it is then...buy the best you can and do the check list of all known weaknesses being sorted!!!

P

NickP

Oh and another thing. The cars were heavily revised in 2001 including an OBD ECU interface so anyone can read and reset the engine codes.

These are regarded the best 3200's to buy.

I have a non-OBD ECU interface and can reset the codes using the cables and software that I found via here :)

There were upgrades on the 2001 cars but not sure what they are? Skyhook ? Or was that just the AC?

Paulm

Nick......on a lighter note......major upgrade was they sent all the thick maserati technicians and lazy factory workers on a course ! How to build a car properly.......Ferrari taught them !!!!

conaero

Forum Owner
Again Nick thats a good fine re the ECU codes.

As I was lead to believe, the mods were to the electrics, most noticeably the ECU interfacing, the steering and brakes and the introduction of Ferrari quality control....blobbing yellow paint on things to make sure they were built better, and a load more minor things that escape me.

Rex B

Hi
Upgrades were reported as being, and improved Steering rack giving better feel, and modifications to the ecu to give better throtlle response, and of course changing to the OBD compliance. As someone reported on this forum before little modification took place during the life of the production run but when buying a 3200 its condition that is important not year, if you have a choice and can find one in the right condition, in the colour you like and at a price you can afford then year would then be the deciding factor.

beau

i really cant be arsed to look at the moment now with whats just happened, the guy said i needed to sort a deal out today, arranged somone to go there sort it out, its 450 mile round trip, cost me nearly £300 to arrange/borrow money and he just text me saying 'sorry its sold'

Last edited:

Danny

Ah, the charm of doing business over the internet... I fully understand your frustration but unfortunately this is all in the game (although it definitely does not need to be)

allandwf

Sorry to hear that, the nice ones tend to get snapped up, I've seen some doing the rounds for the last couple of years. On a plus point you have the funds sorted, so will be in a stronger position to buy next time. What it's worth I flew down to check/buy mine then drove 570 miles home! Don't let distance put you off.

Parisien

Good ones are few and far between...nature of buying a high, limited numbers car.....can take 2-8mths to find right one

P

Paulm

More like......someone has got wind of the forum discussion about good/bad and his car !!!!

beau

well if anyone knows of a black 3200 with manual box and red/grey/black interior for around £8000 let me know, closer to essex the better

lozcb

well if anyone knows of a black 3200 with manual box and red/grey/black interior for around £8000 let me know, closer to essex the better

Trouble you have there is these cars are worth between £5-6K when written off and sold as parts , if thats all your budget then your most likely not find a good one for that money and it'll cost an arm and a leg in the first year , due to your budget may well be worth you considering a well looked after low mileage lightly damaged cat d and repair it yourself or price to have it repaired if you know someone in the know so to speak

regards loz

Paulm

Beau,
I'm in process of giving mine a tidy up.......cost me 2k and that's just parts(not finished yet :( ).......and work done by myself......hate to think what it would have cost at a garage !
8K for a neat 3200 is "hen's teeth" imho...... in the colour combo you want.
I'll have to agree with Loz, even though it may sound a bit harsh !!!! 3200 are......as been laid out in previous posts.......a money pit, if not cared for !!!!
Good luck in your search for the holy grail.

NickP

I would agree with the above sentiments, you wont find a good one for that money, you'll regret the day you bought a Maserati. Better off saving a bit more and buying a well looked after car that has been owned by an enthusiast. Higher milage cars will be cheaper and to be honest, I'd rather have a car that had been used regularly than one that has sat around for most of its life.

Paulm

Went in garage to do a bit of work.....thought s0d it tonight :( p1ssin down and not nice !
Noticed these and thought thats something else to look out for !
Seen these missing off 3200 and they're not cheap @ £50+ EACH SIDE for a piece of plastic !!!!!
This is one of mine before and then compare to re fettled :) I'm happy

Attachments

• Brake-cool2.jpg
    Brake-cool2.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 44
  • brake-cool1.jpg
    brake-cool1.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 44

beau