MOT Time

mchristyuk

Well the dreaded day had arrived and my first MOT of Maserati ownership. I've given the car every bit of TLC it's needed these past 12 months along with new tyres and brakes all round. Last week I fitted new plugs and adjusted the handbrake (again!) in anticipation of the looming MOT.

I was braced for the worst, however on listening to it on the emissions test I would have gladly come back for a retest (straight through rear boxes!!). Alas the worst the inspector could find were the head lamps running a little low, had he been able to get to the adjuster he would have wound them up a notch for me.

I can't believe it, I've owned a lot of cars ranging from new to old and the first one to pass its MOT first time without a single issue happens to be a 12 year old hand made Italian car...!

What are the chances?!

Happy Days! :)

Mark

hodroyd

Benny,
Now now, you are supposed to be very impartial in your new high forum position, where's your new title by the way, we all know you secretly yearn for a 3200 and always have...!!!
Cheers
R

mchristyuk

I have to say I'm quite happy with the place I take my cars to now. They just do MOT's and no repairs (unless it's a bulb or wiper blade) and they do a very fair job.

Unlike a friend who took their car ti Kwik Fit for an MOT and needed £600 worth of repairs doing to pass.. ahem.

Mark

philw696

Stay away from fast fit places they would not understand our cars anyway. I'm a mot tester and been a mechanic for over 30 years. Use your independent local guys and share the love and passion of our cars. Phil.

hodroyd

We have found 2 or 3 that are good value, efficient and fair. Never go to fast fit, groups, or dealers, they all try and rip you off.

CatmanV2

I always take my cars to my indy for prep and then he deals with the MOT for me. If he screws me, he loses all my business :)

C

Parisien

We have no choice...all government agencies.....run to a high standard, no iffy MOTs issued over here......standard price

P

nfm

True Frank, I used to think it was a bad thing compared to dropping your car into a Scottish garage for MOT and service as one. However, the DVA have no incentive to "create" work so you get an honest review and they now offer evenings and weekends so much easier to schedule.

At least if you buy a car here with an MOT you can be sure it is valid.

Surprised to say the NI process has grown on me.

Parisien

Indeed Nigel......plus they are up front about issues and pass on some advice plus efficient in my experience

A good system using the latest technologies and equipment compared to some GB based centres

P

hodroyd

England MOT centres are now pretty standard, they all have to have similar equipment and have to be linked directly to the DVLA. A lot depends on the tester with some items, borderline items will pass at some and fail at others, if something is within the guidelines it should pass but with an advisory, most adopt that stance now.

philw696

As a mot tester the test is poor in my opinion its only a visual inspection with only brakes and emissions realy tested. Brakes when nearly worn out can perform realy well. Most poorly serviced cars will pass the emissions but you have to rev the nuts out of them which is slowly killing me filling the workshop full of death fumes. Unless you know your vehicle is looked after to a high standard passing a mot is nothing to be proud of. Rant over. Phil.

Parisien

I know they focus quite rightly on suspension over here too.....and are quite happy to call over another tester for a 2nd opinion.....so I think they are pretty through this side

P