Me again: Parking Sensors and Parking mode

CatmanV2

Sorry to be shooting all these questions ;) This one is about the parking sensors, the manual is not entirely clear.

If the sensors are working, what does the signal sound like. Should it beep once and then shut up until it detects something? If so, mine are knackered as they beep all the time, and don't seem to detect anything.

In addition, my manual has (P 126) a paragraph about a special gearbox operating mode, particularly suited to parking maneuvers. Anyone have any idea what this does?

Cheers again

C

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
Mine beeps once as reverse is selected and then goes quiet until it detects something and the frequency increases as you get nearer. Sounds like you may have a kn4ckered sensor.

2b1ask1

Special case
I'm shire it beeps every couple of seconds until it detects then it quickens until solid. However if the detectors are soaking wet they often give a solid bleep.

As far as special functions I think these were lost during software upgrades.

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
If that's the case I probably can't hear the occasional beep over the exhaust! Nice to know its there though! :wink:

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Can't see anything on page 126 about parking gearbox mode?
What edition is your manual, mines 1st, being 2002.
Can't see anything on later PDF edition either...
What does it say?

safrane

The origional CC software had a parking mode, but this drops off, along with the auto blip, on the post 2003 up grades.

The reversing software should give you a mute bleep bleep bleep to let you know you are in R, if you have factory rear PDC this will be much loader than the soft bleep.

Last edited:

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
What was/is the parking mode?
Mine auto blips on start up, and on downshifts.
Can't possibly imagine not having the auto blips especially with the Larini's!

safrane

The first 2001/2 spyders had all the features of the SO-FAST 2, but basic. It included the auto blip on down shifts, and a parking mode that, by holding the up-shift paddle for 5 seconds made it 'easier' to park but engauging the clutch very quick.

CatmanV2

Well that got confused fast :)

Benny, I wouldn't surprised if I did have a knackered sensor, or similar. I guess the only way to be sure is to stick in on an SD2? At £84 I'll probably live without for now.
*Unless* I have 'factory fit PDC', Safran. Any ideas how I would know this?
As for auto blip, I assume this is double de-clutch on down shift in sport mode, Safrane? That being the case, mine *does* do that.
MJHeathcote: Page 126 of my (also 1st edition), bottom right hand corner has a piece of paper stuck to the page, under the warning about 'Departure by pushing'

Parking Maneuver
'With the first or reverse gear engaged and pulling the DOWN lever, it is possible to select a special gearbox mode which is particularly suited to parking maneuvers, especially on downhill stretches.
The activation of this mode is indicated by a beep* and the engaged gear symbol flashes alternately with a dash**. The system automatically resets to the standard operating mode when the conditions required for activating the parking maneuver mode are no longer present or if the DOWN lever is operated again.

*I get this. I thought it was the 'you're being an idiot' warning from the box.
** I've only just worked out what they mean by this. I'll have to check again in the dry.

Cheers

C

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
Best I read the manual again. All this is news to me but being an 04my it probably hasn't to any of his apart from the auto blip which it does in spades!

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Don't have the stuck on piece of paper!
If it slips the clutch in this mode, I don't want to know!

Are you sure Pete you don't have auto blipping, on start up or downshift?
Did your earlier model have it?

CatmanV2

Benny, I guess they are probably very different. Is it possible to ascertain the version(s) of the softare? SD2 time again?

mjheathcote: No idea. My location means I pretty much have to slip the clutch to park and leave anyway. Unless I can work out how to flip the back end out on a dime ;)

C

safrane

Hard to check without looking at the wires. I have had factory and on my second 4200 retro-fit.

Factory units are not 100% round, they have two flat points and they are the same as BMW units.

safrane

Mike, my revised 2003 version mentioned this in the had-book as noted by Catman, but it did not have the park function and if you tried to use the paddle as described it just went into N with the CC box symbol comming on and lots of bleeps until you let go.

It also did not auto blip on down shifts the way my 2005 car does...it did however 'bark' if you floored it and dropped a few gears

CatmanV2

Hard to check without looking at the wires. I have had factory and on my second 4200 retro-fit.

Factory units are not 100% round, they have two flat points and they are the same as BMW units.

Ahh I *see*. Yes this is factory fit, or at least looks like it.

C

CatmanV2

So I tried the parking mode again today.
In first, pressing the down paddle, I get the flashing display (although no 'dash')
Judging by the amount of gravel that sprayed around when I tried to move off, if it's doing anything, it's making the clutch engage much sooner, at lower revs, than 'normal' mode. Not much good on gravel, but might well be pretty useful in the supermarket.
I'm pretty sure it was in another mode (despite the lack of flashing dashes) as when I moved off properly as it were, the system bleeped, and again the '1' stopped flashing.

Might be worth a check on the earlier cars.

C

Tubber273

Interesting thread!!
Is it possible that Catman has discovered a "launch mode"???
May have to try this now!
:auto11: