Starting problem

Brendan

Reversed out of garage no problem. Left car a few hours and it wouldn't start.

Car is making a clicking noise(starter I assume) but not turning over there is also some other noise but does not sound as if it will start. Tried battery reset, locking and unlocking car but no luck.

Battery is less than a year but I charged it up for an hour and it started as normal?

Any ideas..? Never had any problems with the battery before or difficult to start.

safrane

Sounds just like the issues I had three years back, and like you it was the battery.

New one sorted it out.

The cold always shows the weekness and it does require almost full charge to turn over that big V8 Lump.

Snowflakes

Brendan - check all the connections on the battery are tight. Simple check but I've had similar problems on my Maseratis & Alfas & each time it's been loose nuts (if you pardon the pun)

SF

Andyk

Brendan, I believe this happened to Mark the day he picked it up......Never happened again after I think he changed the battery...Strange one this....

rossyl

If its under a year old you can try and take the battery back to wherever you bought it.

If it is garaged I suggest you get a ctek charger and leave it connected to the battery at all times when it is in the garage. The ctek can be left like that for indefinite periods and manage the level of charge needed by itself

conaero

Forum Owner
Yep common issue Brendan and the guys above have given you the correct advise.

When you started the car it killed the battery of its little remaining charge hence why you got the clicking.

I have been lucky as my cars have never suffered this Maserati characteristic but it can be traced back to the tracker. When they get to 5 years old the trackers internal battery does not hold charge and scavenges from the main battery. Turning the battery isolator to off helps but if it does this in the colder weather it sounds like a duff battery tbh.

TridentTested

The clicking is the starter motor's solenoid trying to engage the starter's gear onto the engine flywheel, there isn't enough juice remaining in the battery to complete the engagement and turn the motor.

As said above check the terminals. If everything is fine you should be able to claim a new battery, most come with three year warranties these days.

Brendan

Terminals seem ok though I will check again. Unfortunately, I did not buy the battery, so no receipt.

Emtee

Hi Brendon, Get your battery checked before consigning it to the bin. If the battery is less than a year old, screwed up tightly and correctly specified for the car then the battery isn't the problem, but rather a drain on the battery, which as Matt mentions may well be the tracker. No point chucking £100 at a new battery for the tracker or something else to then merrily drain that one.

Brendan

Hi Brendon, Get your battery checked before consigning it to the bin. If the battery is less than a year old, screwed up tightly and correctly specified for the car then the battery isn't the problem, but rather a drain on the battery, which as Matt mentions may well be the tracker. No point chucking £100 at a new battery for the tracker or something else to then merrily drain that one.

Car doesn't have a tracker. May be its the alarm? Must admit I have had this exact battery before (on a different car) and I had to repalce it under guarantee after 18 months before.

conaero

Forum Owner
How do you know you don't have a tracker? Have you removed it?

The tracker is always active and comes fitted as standard even if you have not renewed the account.

Brendan

How do you know you don't have a tracker? Have you removed it?

The tracker is always active and comes fitted as standard even if you have not renewed the account.

I was not aware the 'tracker' was standard on the car. How do you deactivate it? Where is it? If as you say it is always active then it is draining the battery right? Started car this morning no problem so I am confused. I will leave the car and see how it goes.

conaero

Forum Owner
They are all hidden try the underside of the rear shelf first. If you take the rear seat back out (remove armrest, pull the trim behind it, then undo the 4 bolts) and you might see it. The wire goes by the right hand speaker (looking at it)

rossyl

If you get it checked out and you are sure that the tracker is causing a drain Navtrak will disconnect or remove the tracker for FREE. Someone posted up the number for Navtrak customer services somewhere on the forum.

Brendan

Thinking about this I have an old hands free phone(does not work) I have noticed that sometimes it turns itself on and off,(lights up) this looks like the culprit. Moved car in and out of garage today and it started ok both times aswell.

Brendan

What is the easiest way to disconnect the hands free thing? The wire on the back of it disappears into the dashboard. Would it have a fuse? Could I cut the wire(stupid question?)

CatmanV2

I have a feeling that's gonna rather depend on how it was wired in. Assuming this is not the built in jobbie.

I would start in the passenger footwell (fuses and relays) to see if that's where they took the power feed from. It's certainly where I would work from adding extras, and was where my aftermarket Nokia was (briefly) connected.

C

Brendan

I have a feeling that's gonna rather depend on how it was wired in. Assuming this is not the built in jobbie.

I would start in the passenger footwell (fuses and relays) to see if that's where they took the power feed from. It's certainly where I would work from adding extras, and was where my aftermarket Nokia was (briefly) connected.

C

Yea, I see if there are any extra ones. Ta

conaero

Forum Owner
The older cradles connect to a control module so cutting the wires to the cradle is probably not going to help.

Think your going to have to trace it back to the source.

It would appear to be a viable culprit.