3200 turns over, starts for fraction of a second then dies.

reset throttle, and battery, does anyone elese know what could be the problem before my first trip to dealer?? sounds something fuel related.

RSM Masser

Like 'no fuel' - sounds silly but fuel guages not very accurate, 5 litres of splosh only wets the thirst of a V8

eliminate the easy solutions before worrying

hodroyd

Karate, If it needs to go in, try an independent for hourly rate and a dealer, see which is more competitive, don't waste money. What car is it you have..??

conaero

Forum Owner
Fuel pump relay? You can test you have pressure, there is a valve on the fuel rail that sits on the injectors, it has a valve on it some where that you can press with a small blade screwdriver, the fuel should jet out of it at very high pressure, if it dribbles, you have found your fault.

Maserati_3200_017.jpg

2b1ask1

Special case
How old is the fuel?

Modern fuel has a 6 month shelf life honest, I have it from a phone conversation with esso's technical bottom at UK HQ. it looks like fuel, smells like fuel but won't burn... Believe me lawn mower manufacturers love it because people get fed up and buy a new one when the old one won't start in the spring!

its a few days old I put #50 in on sat and have done about 30 miles

I did have CEL and limp mode come on a few days ago that I cured with a throttle reset, any chance that this is related??

heres the starting

[video=youtube_share;j8uW2M02mtw]http://youtu.be/j8uW2M02mtw[/video]

heres the fuel valve

[video=youtube_share;p11WQJDpnZI]http://youtu.be/p11WQJDpnZI[/video]

i take it thats not meant to be constant preasure comming out??

doesnt sound like its starting in the first vid but it def fires and sounds like its going to come alive but just doesnt.

anyone know if it could be related to the CEL i had a few days ago and cured with throttle reset??

jamesc69

sounds MAF related to me, I had exactly the same problem you described last year. New MAF and check of connections sorted it.

James

Last edited:
well ill wait to see if any of the other guys can tell me if the fuel looks like its comming out that valve at the right pressure and then, the next thing im going to do is take a look at the throttle body and MAF sensor...

im assuming the butterfly valve in the throttle body should be closed upon starting and should open immediately after starting? maybe its sticking??

Last edited:

ledlights

FWIW I had something similar once. It turned out to be a number of relays playing up in the RHS of the boot. As Conaero said, it was the fuel pump relay but also the ignition relay, from memory. There are 2 fuel pump relays, and they both need to be good to start the car. Looking at your dash as you try to start it, lights are illuminating as it turns over - this is what mine did. Try taking them out in turn and giving them a sharp tap, if it works after that replace them. Bosch do a replacement part for about £10 a piece.

Hope this helps,

Steve

conaero

Forum Owner
Can you film the fuel pressure again, doing both fuel rails for longer and a couple of time each.

I also note in the first vid when it sort of starts you get an ABS error light flash up, cant remember if this is normal, and could be why the car shuts off as it fires.

hodroyd

Relays sound a possibility and a cheap quick fix, but if you have fuel in the rails and a constant flow, then the pump must be on, can you smell petrol, is it flooding..??