Car Cam

fcz360

Sparky
Ive decided to get a new car cam, any ideas on which to get?

Go Pro, contour, ion etc

confused by go pro, silver, white black, 3 4??

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
I just bought a GoPro 4 Silver. The screen on the back makes it far easier to access the settings, set up the shot properly and preview what you've filmed. There are some nice settings for time lapse shots as well as very high quality video. Instead of the clumsy GoPro suction cup I bought a Joby one which is much more simple to use. I haven't used it on the car yet but reckon it should be pretty good.

highlander

Adam spot on unless you plan to watch on 4k then it needs to be black, other than that, silver leaves you enough cash to fill the tank. ;)

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
It was a long and hard decision, Craig, but ultimately it came down to me realising that the kind of use I'll put it to won't be massively enhanced by being in 4k. The Silver still gives 1080 at 60fps or 2.7 at 30fps so it's still very high. It does handle 4k but only up to 15fps. In any case it's plenty HD enough and smooth enough for me. The rear screen is far more use for me than 4k. Apart from anything else at 4k I'd burn through storage at an alarming rate!

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Make sure you get only a GoPro approved memory card. Cheap as chips off Amazon. I bought the camera at Heathrow (subsidised with Heathrow Reward points) but Amazon prices seem about the lowest as well.

Contigo

Sponsor
GoPro HERO HD is online at £132 and there is a firmware hack out to upgrade to a Hero 5 Black (£299).

https://www.tobydeals.co.uk/en_GB/p...m=referral&utm_campaign=Affiliate_Window_Sale

Halfords will price match according to some memebers on HUKD.

The process is as follows:
- Download the 'UPDATE' folder from the above Google Drive link. This should contain 4 files. Place the entire folder onto a blank, formatted micro sd.

- Place the sd in the camera and power it up. It will run through the update process, restarting and black screening several times and taking anywhere betwee 3-10 mins, be patient and don't be tempted to press anything!

- Camera will eventually boot as a fully fledged Hero 5 Black. Turn it off. Remove the SD and delete the UPDATE folder. I reformatted just to be sure.

- Place it back in the GoPro and go video something cool in 4K 30 fps

Mattp

GoPro HERO HD is online at £132 and there is a firmware hack out to upgrade to a Hero 5 Black (£299).

https://www.tobydeals.co.uk/en_GB/p...m=referral&utm_campaign=Affiliate_Window_Sale

Halfords will price match according to some memebers on HUKD.

The process is as follows:
- Download the 'UPDATE' folder from the above Google Drive link. This should contain 4 files. Place the entire folder onto a blank, formatted micro sd.

- Place the sd in the camera and power it up. It will run through the update process, restarting and black screening several times and taking anywhere betwee 3-10 mins, be patient and don't be tempted to press anything!

- Camera will eventually boot as a fully fledged Hero 5 Black. Turn it off. Remove the SD and delete the UPDATE folder. I reformatted just to be sure

- Place it back in the GoPro and go video something cool in 4K 30 fps

Ive been looking at action cams for a while too... ve had some cheap Chinese ones, which ave been ok for the money, but GoPro Heros for 130, just ordered one! I don't mind a little mild hacking!

FIFTY

That's a good tip Phil.. Wish I knew that before I got two hero 5 black from tobydeals for £200/each. I wonder if it will effect the warranty if you back them like this?

Contigo

Sponsor
That's a good tip Phil.. Wish I knew that before I got two hero 5 black from tobydeals for £200/each. I wonder if it will effect the warranty if you back them like this?

No, you can download the original code too and then revert back .Just don't connect to the App and let it do an auto software update.