Conaero's Spider Rebuild

conaero

Forum Owner
Right, as I am going to run the Spider from 1st July, I best get those final jobs out of the way. Fixed the roof last night (twatted the motor with a hammer) and fitted the refurbished drivers wing mirror. Still waiting on this bloody seat foam to turn up, I think its got lost in the post, so I am going to repair my one with spray glue plus spray glue an old tshirt over the foam to give it added strength. Ill keep the new one if it turns up for if this one fails again.

Got to finish off refitting the drivers door card, thats pretty simple but the job I am not looking forward to is replacing the drivers bonnet hinge as its been tweaked. Its a shared hinge with the door and I really dont know where to start, can anyone give me any pointers?

I have a salvage silver hinge, just need to give it a quick spray up.

Other than that, its just put the drivers seat back in and I can drive the thing again :)

Think I am going to call Duncan and see hows its done.

allandwf

I've just taken ours round Knockhill race circuit on a performance drivers course. For a standard road car she performed really well, but that V6 between 4 and 7 thousand is epic. Have fun when you get her on the road.

conaero

Forum Owner
Ok, Duncan has come back to me, here is how its done:
1. Drop the window glass then open the door and remove the wiring link
2. Knock the pin out of the check strap
3. Undo the 2 vertical bolts in the hinges
4. Virtually close the door then lift if off
5. Open the bonnet
6. Get someone to hold the bonnet whilst you undo the hinge bolts
7. Refitting is the reversal of the above.

lisknik

Ok, Duncan has come back to me, here is how its done:
1. Drop the window glass then open the door and remove the wiring link
2. Knock the pin out of the check strap
3. Undo the 2 vertical bolts in the hinges
4. Virtually close the door then lift if off
5. Open the bonnet
6. Get someone to hold the bonnet whilst you undo the hinge bolts
7. Refitting is the reversal of the above.

He's bloody good he is ;)

conaero

Forum Owner
Great news, finished the car, registered, taxed and insured it, drove it to the gym last night, awesome!

There are a few niggles that have surfaced but all just adjustments.

I will be on the look out for a rear sports exhaust as she is too quiet.

Taking her in today too.

Andyk

Brilliant Matt.....And just in time for the hot weather....Get some pictures up when you get chance now she is finished.

StuartW

Well done Matt & good luck with the brake noise, nothing you can't handle I'm sure. Another car saved from being broken for it's parts - that has to be a good thing

allandwf

Great news, finished the car, registered, taxed and insured it, drove it to the gym last night, awesome!

There are a few niggles that have surfaced but all just adjustments.

I will be on the look out for a rear sports exhaust as she is too quiet.

Taking her in today too.
Excellent, well done. Re exhaust, Ragazzon or Wizard seem to be the exhausts of choice. Wizard System is going on mine.

conaero

Forum Owner
Good work! Are you bringing her to the Ace next week?

Thats the plan yes.

I think I have worked out the rubbing nose, its the heat shield that sits over the lower wishbone outer balljoint, I think its rubbing on the brake disc.

conaero

Forum Owner
Had a great weekend, suns out, cruising around in the Spider. Had a good bonding sesh and lots of admiring looks.

The shake down highlighted a few issues. Quite a serious banging from the front left, turned out to be loose wheelnuts, doh!

Smell of fuel after filling was a split pipe in the vapour recovery system and the back box was knocking, also fixed. Brakes where pants but they are coming back slowly, all in all great car and some of you will be seeing her at Ace on Thursday.

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds fantastic, Matt. A nicely timed finish ready for the best of the summer. Shame to miss seeing the fruits of your labours at The Ace on Thursday (as well as all of you 'orrible lot, of course!).