sport mode - exhaust not working?

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Bloody valves. They've become hopelessly unpredictable but mostly either closed or at best only part open and rattling horribly. I self-diagnosed a split vacuum pipe but without the means to get right underneath and check the full length of it I removed the pipe from the valves and taped it up thoroughly with insulting tape (because that's all I have to hand). Happily the valves are now always open. Anyone see any issues with this "resolution"?

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
:smile: It occurs to me - should I also try and block up the nozzle things that the pipes should plug on to?

Wack61

Bloody valves. They've become hopelessly unpredictable but mostly either closed or at best only part open and rattling horribly. I self-diagnosed a split vacuum pipe but without the means to get right underneath and check the full length of it I removed the pipe from the valves and taped it up thoroughly with insulting tape (because that's all I have to hand). Happily the valves are now always open. Anyone see any issues with this "resolution"?

Don't know the problem but I've found self amalgamating tape to be the cure to many a split pipe problem over the years.

It's a rubberised tape that you stretch and wrap round things , over a day or so it sticks to itself , if you want it off you have to cut it off, it doesn't unwind

Worth having a roll in the tool box

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Lithium grease for the win!

Thanks Chris. The problem doesn't seem to be that they're sticking, and anyway they're well-lubed. I can only suspect a weak vacuum, but I may well be barking up the wrong tree.

Don't know the problem but I've found self amalgamating tape to be the cure to many a split pipe problem over the years.

It's a rubberised tape that you stretch and wrap round things , over a day or so it sticks to itself , if you want it off you have to cut it off, it doesn't unwind

Worth having a roll in the tool box

Thanks Wack. I'm in France so let's see how Google Translate gets on with that!

Andyk

Totally new here, but would this work for a 2010 Maserati Quattroporte S? Just got my first Maserati and totally in love. I notice a huge difference in driving performance when "sport button" is engaged, but not noticing any difference in sound. I am wondering if my exhaust flaps are stuck. To be clear, these are the flaps you are referring to, correct?

http://www.automobilesreview.com/uploads/2009/05/normal-mode-e28093-flaps-closed.jpg

Here is my ride.
View attachment 29789

Just seen this....A big welcome and what a lovely QP.

bigbob

Yep it seems to have disappeared and I can't find it on my phone.

I'm away at the moment so can't even go out and take another but basically it is by each back box and runs vertically.