Exhaust Again (Sorry)

hilts uk

Hi

Annual service / MOT is due and considering some tweaking.
I am considering replacing the cats on the MCV with Sports Cats. Assuming I don't fit an x / h pipe and keep the stock boxes will this make much of a difference in terms of sound? If I did fit an x pipe as well and kept the stock rear boxes would the sport valve switch still work - i.e. would the car be quiet if I needed it to be? Whats the difference between x pipe and h pipe in terms of sound? Which do people prefer?

Also considering changing the air filter to BMC, assume this is a cheap upgrade with no downside?
Any other cost effective tweaks / upgrades?

Many thanks!

Hilts

BL330

Hi Hilts, Highly recommend the first stage of your thinking.
The change in smoothness at low to middle revs is worth the price of admission, let alone the free flowing revs at the high end plus the noise.
Yes the sound is louder, deeper and more purposeful, without waking the dead.
I'm having my valved Larini rears fitted in 2 weeks, so I will report that difference then.
Yes the Sport switch still works on the standard rears boxes, irrespective of what you do up front or in the middle.
I've decided to sell / swap by Larini X pipe for FD Springs plus a little change, as I believe the X Pipe will put the sound over the top for a daily driver.
Am told the H Pipe would do though.

hilts uk

Hi Hilts, Highly recommend the first stage of your thinking.
The change in smoothness at low to middle revs is worth the price of admission, let alone the free flowing revs at the high end plus the noise.
Yes the sound is louder, deeper and more purposeful, without waking the dead.
I'm having my valved Larini rears fitted in 2 weeks, so I will report that difference then.
Yes the Sport switch still works on the standard rears boxes, irrespective of what you do up front or in the middle.
I've decided to sell / swap by Larini X pipe for FD Springs plus a little change, as I believe the X Pipe will put the sound over the top for a daily driver.
Am told the H Pipe would do though.

Thanks, very useful. Will start with the cats then and see what difference it makes.

Paul1982

H - due to the length of the headers will maintain the v8 deep grunty sound
Single X - the Ferrari's use this to get their individual sound (higher pitch)

I've gone for a Single X cross over with mid cat delete and small silencers to stop resonance throughout the system. Mine honestly sounds like the 360 challengeS system now. Some would think it's loud but driven properly it's manageable.

Paul1982

If I was u already having the GS back boxes with Exhaust flaps, I'd remove the mid cats and silencer and leave it as that. Will give u more bhp & sound

adam01

Hi

Annual service / MOT is due and considering some tweaking.
I am considering replacing the cats on the MCV with Sports Cats. Assuming I don't fit an x / h pipe and keep the stock boxes will this make much of a difference in terms of sound? If I did fit an x pipe as well and kept the stock rear boxes would the sport valve switch still work - i.e. would the car be quiet if I needed it to be? Whats the difference between x pipe and h pipe in terms of sound? Which do people prefer?

Also considering changing the air filter to BMC, assume this is a cheap upgrade with no downside?
Any other cost effective tweaks / upgrades?

Many thanks!

Hilts

Hilts,

Also an MCV with

-Larini sports cats replacing the OEM secondary cats
-Larini X pipe replacing OEM resonator
-OEM backboxes; flaps wired to remote switch for open/close over-ride in N or S mode

pipe work fitted in stages, each resulting in improved exhaust flow/power

noise wise a little louder but not intrusive

worthwhile improvements although a bit pricey

FelixV

+1 on the pricing. I was quoted a hefty sum when considering the purchase of Larini sports cats.

VMSRTI

Hilts,

Also an MCV with

-Larini sports cats replacing the OEM secondary cats
-Larini X pipe replacing OEM resonator
-OEM backboxes; flaps wired to remote switch for open/close over-ride in N or S mode

pipe work fitted in stages, each resulting in improved exhaust flow/power

noise wise a little louder but not intrusive

worthwhile improvements although a bit pricey

I didnt know you had fitted an x pipe Adrian. Be interested to hear the difference now.

steamer

Hi,

Mine has the x pipe and mid cats removed with the standard back boxes / vlaves.

I've not heard many others but its nice and fruity in sport but all goes quiet in standard.

Seems like a good balance and probably cheaper than sports cats.

VMSRTI

Hi,

Mine has the x pipe and mid cats removed with the standard back boxes / vlaves.

I've not heard many others but its nice and fruity in sport but all goes quiet in standard.

Seems like a good balance and probably cheaper than sports cats.
I have the same as you Steamer. Not sure that sports cats give any more volume but may alter the sound and hence my interest to compare to mine.

alexarmendano

MCVs come with an OEM X pipe the same way the Gransports do. In this video https://youtu.be/34g_MQ51uhU?t=4m52s you can hear my GS with Larini sport decats. The rest of the muffler is OEM. The sound quality is not the best but you can get the idea of it. GoPro is prone to saturate the low tones pretty easy

adam01

MCVs come with an OEM X pipe the same way the Gransports do. In this video https://youtu.be/34g_MQ51uhU?t=4m52s you can hear my GS with Larini sport decats. The rest of the muffler is OEM. The sound quality is not the best but you can get the idea of it. GoPro is prone to saturate the low tones pretty easy

not entirely correct re MCVs

Euro versions as opposed to US delivered ones had the resonator - at least mine did
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435851936.034525.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435851847.950995.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435851847.950995.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 63