Aftermarket Exhausts For Beginners

Maseratiman

GRANSPORT

I have searched the forum for an answer but haven't found one!

Could somebody explain options for changing exhausts.

1) Can you change just mufflers or do you need centre section, cats etc?
2) Could you just change cats or just change centre section etc
3) Would it void your insurance as a modification? i.e. you should tell them

Would just Larini mufflers be worth it or only any good with the other bits?

CatmanV2

GRANSPORT

I have searched the forum for an answer but haven't found one!

Could somebody explain options for changing exhausts.

1) Can you change just mufflers or do you need centre section, cats etc?
2) Could you just change cats or just change centre section etc
3) Would it void your insurance as a modification? i.e. you should tell them

Would just Larini mufflers be worth it or only any good with the other bits?

Yes, yes, yes and probably. Although you really need to change 2 out of the 3 to get a major change in noise

C

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
I presently have just changed the back boxes to larini's, and the difference is dramatic. You don't need to change out the cats or centre section, but you can if more noise is required at a later date.
Personally I informed my insurance company, exhaust, wheels and even rear lip spoiler. At least I know should the worst ever happen, I'm covered.

alfatwo

I presently have just changed the back boxes to larini's, and the difference is dramatic. You don't need to change out the cats or centre section, but you can if more noise is required at a later date.
Personally I informed my insurance company, exhaust, wheels and even rear lip spoiler. At least I know should the worst ever happen, I'm covered.

So how much more did you have to give them extra then Mike...I know lots of people blag it and keep stum!

Dave

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
Check out the thread called 'SportsMaserati Exhaust Modification Guide' for a more in depth explanation with video. Best to listen with headphones. Also bear in mind that the sound changes even more under load through the gears.

CatmanV2

Check out the thread called 'SportsMaserati Exhaust Modification Guide' for a more in depth explanation with video. Best to listen with headphones. Also bear in mind that the sound changes even more under load through the gears.

Oh **** yes :happy2:

C

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
If the GTS is any kind of guide I changed to an un-silenced x-pipe and it woke things up a lot. Trouble is, I've since had my ears turned by a mentalist in a banana-flavoured GS (and another in a white GTS) who are both a few cells short of a standard exhaust (so to speak). I now harbour a troubling desire to get louder. Brain must be scrambled. I suppose my point is, start somewhere and you can always do more as your brain and ears turn to mush.

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
So how much more did you have to give them extra then Mike...I know lots of people blag it and keep stum!

Dave

Can't really blag it, any loss adjuster would soon realise the different wheels and exhaust, so not worth the risk.
If completely stock, could have paid £350, but paid £500. However the £500 also was a better policy (track day cover for a start), the difference therefore less than the £150 in reality.

MAF260

If the GTS is any kind of guide I changed to an un-silenced x-pipe and it woke things up a lot. Trouble is, I've since had my ears turned by a mentalist in a banana-flavoured GS (and another in a white GTS) who are both a few cells short of a standard exhaust (so to speak). I now harbour a troubling desire to get louder. Brain must be scrambled. I suppose my point is, start somewhere and you can always do more as your brain and ears turn to mush.

Haha! Do it! You know you want to!!

alfatwo

Can't really blag it, any loss adjuster would soon realise the different wheels and exhaust, so not worth the risk.
If completely stock, could have paid £350, but paid £500. However the £500 also was a better policy (track day cover for a start), the difference therefore less than the £150 in reality.

A no brainer really then Mike..and I applude your honesty...and that's the reason why I keep my old 3200GT bog standard!

Dave

Morebeans

400 cells short at the last count!! As Adam says, start with a minor mod and work up from there, as once you've turned to the dark side, there's no turning back! Good luck!

StuartW

You're luring me to the dark side Adam!

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
400 cells short at the last count!! As Adam says, start with a minor mod and work up from there, as once you've turned to the dark side, there's no turning back! Good luck!

You're on 200 cell rear Larini's, MB, correct? Plus the x-pipe.

Benny is it true your exhaust shoots flames?

Also bystanders.

You're luring me to the dark side Adam!

Temptation is a wonderful thing but the joy of the noise is more wonderful. Do it! You'll never look back.