Vehicle tax

Just paid £505 for 12 months road tax to those lying cheating robbing politicians that think they are better than me for the privilege of driving on some of the poorest roads in Europe.
I would rather give it to Tsipras (their roads are poorer than ours!)
rant over - I need a drink

safrane

If said drink contains alcohol you are contributing once more to the tax man :0)

jluis

At least that money pays VOSA to keep you safe from the evil stealing manufacturers .... Oh wait ...

alfatwo

Just paid £505 for 12 months road tax to those lying cheating robbing politicians that think they are better than me for the privilege of driving on some of the poorest roads in Europe.

God thats heavy Dave..I only pay £30 a year for my 500..

Dave

TridentTested

It's your choice. My QP relieves me of a hefty VED every year but no one forces me to drive a QP, I knew what band it was in when I bought it, eyes wide open and all that; there are many cars in cheaper bands out there.

What I'd really like to see, as it's an "Emissions Duty", is those noisy smelly polluting diesels being charged a bit more and our lovely sweet petrols being charged a bit less :)

alfatwo

It's your choice. My QP relieves me of a hefty VED every year but no one forces me to drive a QP, I knew what band it was in when I bought it, eyes wide open and all that; there are many cars in cheaper bands out there.

What I'd really like to see, as it's an "Emissions Duty", is those noisy smelly polluting diesels being charged a bit more and our lovely sweet petrols being charged a bit less :)

Especially the German versions....Polluting diesels have had it good for fare too long,so have there owners..there time is coming...Diesel Euro 6/7 emissions is just the start!

Dave

spkennyuk

I still can't see any logic in the fact that a 2007 4200 is £505 to tax but a 2004 with the same engine and emissions is something like £280.

I know it was to try and force the manufacturers to reduce emissions but you would think annual mileage would come into it more than the engine size / emissions. If you only do 3k miles per year as against say a 2 ltr A4 diesel doing 15k per year the A4 total emissions would be higher and thats only £30 a year to tax.

spkennyuk

I suspect they will add it to fuel in the next 10 years.

As usual they only look at the numbers that will appeal to the voters . They have no interest at all in reducing C02 emissions. Its how much they can be seen to appear to do something about it.

The fairest way by far is tax at the pump. No more road tax avoiders. The more miles you do in a low mpg / less fuel efficient cars then the more you pay. Likewise if your doing 40k per year in a more fuel efficient car then your paying road tax in proportion to the amount of emissions and the amount of time your on the road.

I don't think anyone expected that classic cars would ever be road tax free. Realisticly as nice as it is, why should they be. Their emissions could be astronomical in comparision to a modern v6 or v8 engine. Look at the Bmw i8 which it is road tax exempt but can spend most of its time running on petrol unless your journey is less than 22 miles and you don't use the accelerator pedal too much.

The system needs a serious looking at imho.

davy83

Problem with tax at the pump, accepting that it is the fairest way to do it, is that its very visible and people complain about fuel prices all the time and i am sure if we shifted the road tax to fuel duty there would be instant complaints about UK fuel being higher than the rest of the planet. Still i am out in the middle east for a while at the moment and just filled up a land cruiser which must be a 20 gallon tank for less than a tenner.

StuartW

It's all swings & roundabouts. Our road tax is high but look at what our Aussie friends have to pay for s/h Maseratis in the first place. We just have to suck it up & cough up I guess

zagatoes30

If you think our road tax is heavy you want to see what they pay over here in Ireland.

A surcharge on fuel is really the only way to fairly attribute this tax, as it gives everyone of us the choice to use more fuel efficient cars and also flexible surcharges of fuel type to offset any potential pros or cons of each fuel type. It will never happen as it puts control in the hands of the consumer, strange concept, and the consumer will retail at yet more tax on fuel.

conaero

Forum Owner
I run 5 cars at the mo, it goes like this:
Audi Q3 - Leased car, not RFL to pay (think its £30 a year anyway)
Fiat 500 - £30 a year
1969 Opel GT - Historic, tax free

Now the important ones:
Maserati GranSport - £505
Alfa Spider V6 - £300 ish

What I do is pay both the Alfa and Maserati by Direct Debit for 12 months, then SORN one of them. Its pointless paying for both, so play DVLA/Taxman at their own game. This way you only pay tax on one car at a time, monthly by DD and you can SORN the vehicle by the last day of the month and the DD payments stop.

Current thinking is to tax the Alfa Spider for July/Aug/Sep, then SORN both for OCT and NOV then the GS from DEC round till JUN

Some good points on here as usual
As the starter of this thread I freely admit I will stump up the cash for the pleasure of my QP
But I wish I could see something more visible on the roads for my taxation for example less pot holes, better surfaces on and on.....

Not sure if the petrol idea is sound though. Yes it would be fairer but as someone said it is very very visible and all governments prefer stealth taxes

Job done now for another year, I just get irked when my wallet takes a bashing.