Warning!

jluis

The factory action will be to send all owners a sales brochure of the new ghibli and a 5k cash for clunkers scheme with our old masers.

spkennyuk

I think (and hope) it will be a free inspection and free replacement if cracked.

You would think that if DVSA has determined the action needed then they should be informing the complainants at the same time as the manufacturer / Maserati. It seems they are giving Maserati the option not to comply with whatever the DVSA action requirement is.

If and lets hope it is either a free inspection and replacement if cracked or the better option of replacement of all before they crack then another production run or redesign would be required. I think somebody mentioned in the thread that the wishbones were no longer being made by the manufacturer.

Mazda had a similar issue with cracks appearing in the lower arms on there rx8 cars. The cracks lead to ball joints seperating leading to loss of steering. They were all recalled and new parts fitted. I still can't see that sort of action taking place here but surely a presedence has been set for a similar issue.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/rec...098F7404BE80257045003045F6&freeText=Blank&tx=

highlander

Got the same email from John today as well.
Tbh, I would settle for a recorded check and the arms being recognised as a service item being replaced regularly but at a reasonable service price not the inflated price they are at the moment.

jluis

The moment the balljoints were built into the wishbone they became a service item since they need to be checked for normal wear and replaced accordingly.

Thats why its even more upsetting to see the new prices in wishbones and bushes

philw696

Recall work for Toyota gave me some good employment for over 10 years all over Europe until coming down here.
Toyota took it very seriously.

drewf

I think the usual form is to insist on an improved component, rather than simply replace with the same.

Contigo

Sponsor
If so, for how long?
If they are found cracked this once, within the next year, five years, 10 years, forever?!!

Audi replaced all wheels on the RS4 which were soft compound with a harder compound alloy. Eventually all soft compound were gone but they were honouring this right up until a year or two ago. This would be at least ten years I'd have thought.

mchristyuk

Small update... we got the contact details of the head of the DVSA and sent him a letter trying to find out what was taking so long.

The response is copied below.. suffice to say it seems we should be grateful that they've done as little as they have.

I really question a safety process where the manufacturer of potentially faulty components is the lead investigator!.. with the engineering expertise we have in this country it would have been far quicker (and probably more thorough) to have them examined by an INDEPENDENT 3rd party.

Not sure yet whether I can be bothered to reply....

Doc 03 Aug 2015 18-53.jpg
Doc 03 Aug 2015 18-54.jpg

Mark

2b1ask1

Special case
Thanks for the update Mark; that is such a damp squib response... These are the people supposedly with teeth to control the auto industry; cant see Maserati are going to commit themselves to any action!

mchristyuk

I honestly can't believe that the DVSA rely on the manufacturers to find fault in their own products before deciding to do anything. It's not in Maseratis interest to find a problem!.. it'll cost them money.. best to make up some story about it being all the owners fault. Honestly makes you wonder what the actual point of the DVSA is??

Ah well.. at least the DVSA footed the postage cost.. (that us tax payers actually pay for!).

Mark

Trev Latter

Even less hopeful for mine then. How many cracked rears did we have? I submitted a report for mine, but have heard nothing since the confirmation email and another with attachments of the process and confirmation that Maserati were already on the case with the broken fronts. Poor show for a potentially fatal fault in my opinion. Now if it were a door lock fault, they'd be recalled (see latest Range Rover recall).

SteveM

Both my front and rear cracked arms were sent for testing organized by VOSA so as far as I am concerned they are assessing both front and rear cracked arms. I am not expecting a quick response now as we are right in the middle of Italian holiday season where everything in my line of work stops for a month and suspect the factory will be the same.

jluis

Both my front and rear cracked arms were sent for testing organized by VOSA so as far as I am concerned they are assessing both front and rear cracked arms. I am not expecting a quick response now as we are right in the middle of Italian holiday season where everything in my line of work stops for a month and suspect the factory will be the same.

Last year I needed a water pump in August and had to wait for September as the factory was closed

Simon1

I'm going to submit my report once the rear uppers are both off so I've got all the bits to hand . Was hoping that would be today but we've only changed one as have a seized bolt and no spare to hand so still another arm to change out, probably another couple of weeks now, summer nearly gone and I won't have driven this since about March , nightmare. Looking forward to getting her finished off and moving over to something less dodgy which I can actually enjoy instead of just pouring money into for no apparent reason
:(

I did however take a picture of the two arms I bought in, one the old style at about 250 pre vat and the other over 600 pre vat, the difference is quite startling and shows very clearly that maserati know there's a problem.

I'll try and post the pics off my phone now