Help - Leak - I think!

Wattie

My technical car knowledge is ****.
I guess you've ruled out the a/c.....and the condensation drip it creates?
Cheers Wattie

D Walker

My technical car knowledge is ****.
I guess you've ruled out the a/c.....and the condensation drip it creates?
Cheers Wattie

Hi Wattie - Not ruled anything out - however Sunday was pouring down on way back and never had the AC on.

Dave

dickygrace

www.richardgracecars.co.uk
Dave, just seen this thread, I'm pretty sure it's the drain as mentioned by a couple of others. If there have been leaves under the scuttle panel, the water has settled in there and when parked up, it's forced out of the drain in a puddle. Nothing to worry about as far as I can see.

D Walker

Dave, just seen this thread, I'm pretty sure it's the drain as mentioned by a couple of others. If there have been leaves under the scuttle panel, the water has settled in there and when parked up, it's forced out of the drain in a puddle. Nothing to worry about as far as I can see.

Hi Dickie - would it take 3 days to come out - In the photo I posted of the wheel arch liner, above the 3 screws on the right hand side for approximately an inch the liner is saturated.

Where is the drain?

Dave

dickygrace

It could take 3 days if it was blocked and suddenly shoot through. Give Marios a call and he'll talk you through it.

D Walker

Resurrected - I am at my wits end with this now- It never stopped dripping for a week - I took it out yesterday and thought the liner had dried with engine heat. I washed the car when I got back as there was paint on the road that got onto the car - put it away in garage as it started raining and there is a puddle this evening and the lining is soaked again. The header tank is fine so the water is not coming from there.
I suspect the car is holding or trapping water somewhere and then it is feeding through. I cleaned the scuttle panel and it has been nowhere near leaves since. I have to get it out tommorrow anyway so I am going to lift the scuttle panel again and pour water into the drain holes.

Any other ideas from the learned collective.

I also think my Meguires mit is not lifting well and is slightly causing swirl marks despite my 2 bucket method and cleaning / rinsing mit in between washing each panel.

Oh the trials and tribulations!!!

LORENZ-GS

wherever its dripping, put a cup or a pan under it to catch it all that way you can examine what it is better.

D Walker

wherever its dripping, put a cup or a pan under it to catch it all that way you can examine what it is better.

Hi Lorenz - I know exactly where its dripping - its at the right hand side of the front near side wheel arch where it connects to the under engine plastic guard / panel. There are 3 screws securing it and a velcro panel above. The wheel arch liner is soaked on the right hand side however there is no liquid build up on top of the plastic panel where it joins so I am assuming the water is getting trapped somewhere and dripping onto the liner and then to the floor.

Dave

D Walker

Dave,

Remove the whole liner and wheel and get an inspection light in there.

Aye, Peter,
That's what I was thinking - Halfrauds (or equiv motor factors) will be loving me again, guess that will be a trolley jack and some stands,
Unlike the wife who squints every time I mention " needing " something for the car.

Oh well.

Dave

Gp79

Empty your windscreen washer bottle / system, there is nothing else in that area to leak, except coolant or oil!

D Walker

Empty your windscreen washer bottle / system, there is nothing else in that area to leak, except coolant or oil!

Yep - I refilled it yesterday - If I have a lake on the garage floor when I get home then that's a pointer.

Dave

StuartW

If you make sure you refill the washer with a different colour anti freeze screenwash to your engine coolant, then it should be clear which fluid it is?

D Walker

If you make sure you refill the washer with a different colour anti freeze screenwash to your engine coolant, then it should be clear which fluid it is?

Filled it with plain water - I am not losing coolant - I marked the header tank with tape and it's static after a week so I think its narrowed down to "holding water somewhere after rain or washing" or " washer tank / hoses " or " lights washing system"

dickygrace

Marios said he'd spoken to you about the issue so I reckon as initially suggested, it's a drain which is blocked half way down. Hope you're able to find it without too much hassle.

D Walker

Filled it with plain water - I am not losing coolant - I marked the header tank with tape and it's static after a week so I think its narrowed down to "holding water somewhere after rain or washing" or " washer tank / hoses " or " lights washing system"
Checked today and more watery and less anti freeze smell so could be washer system all though looking at the diagram on euro spares the tube goes up and over which would mean it would have to pull a vacuum to get it from the bottle to that area when parked up. Will keep checking and next week pick up a jack and stands I guess all though I am going to remove shuttle again and fill run off to see if drains are blocked.
Dave

D Walker

Little update - Its definetly coming from the washer system - I just cant find it with he camera, so its going to have to be wheel off and lining out to find it.

On another note - anyone know what this is, its detached and sitting there all alone under the fuse box.

IMG_0426[1].jpg
This is it sitting where I spied it.
IMG_0436[1].jpg
This is it turned over once I got my hand in and on it.

Thanks for any help preferred.

New cover arrived today - Its got Gran Sport blazed all over it so looks like I will have to change car.

Dave