Maserati owner wannabe looking for a 4200 Coupe

gilbey

Hi Folks,

Hope you can help me with some pointers on what to look for, best model, manual/auto in the hunt for a 4200 Coupe.
I'm looking at several potential cars but would like to know when the clutches on these cars go as this looks like a 3K bill. Also tyre costs and brakes which look really expensive. Is there a major service and what mileage does this happen at. Anything you can tell me gratefully received.

Can anyone recommend an insurer and does anyone know of an indie mechanic in reach of Kent.

Many thanks,

Ian

safrane

Hi Ian and welcome.

From your questions it looks like you may need to spend some time on here to put those concerns to rest.

Brakes can now be had for less than £400 for discs and pads

Clutch can last over 50k if looked after and double tang

Service should by annual and miles, but most just have a 12 month due to age and cost £600-900 for a standard service and £1400 for a major

Tyres, rears 12 months or 7k fronts 3 years or 20k

ADG and Galiol in Seven oaks should be able to supply and services or Richard Grace can also source cars. There are also a number of owners on here selling good 4200's

I have had 3 4200 and now on a GS...The 4200 is great

D Walker

Hi Ian.
Been in your shoes and it took me a year to buy a car. Mainly due to missing out on a couple was I am up north but what I can say is if you really want one then you are going to have to accept that there will at some point be substantial costs. If you want one that is fully sorted, clutch, brakes, etc then you will pay a higher price compared to a car that is middle of road that you will have to sort those items eventually. Take your time, read a lot on here and avail yourself of all the potential pitfalls and problems but be rest assured when you find one that fits you will be a happy man. Had mine a month and it both pleases me immensely and scares me rigid. It's quicker than my skills but we are learning together.
Dave

spkennyuk

Hi Folks,

Hope you can help me with some pointers on what to look for, best model, manual/auto in the hunt for a 4200 Coupe.
I'm looking at several potential cars but would like to know when the clutches on these cars go as this looks like a 3K bill. Also tyre costs and brakes which look really expensive. Is there a major service and what mileage does this happen at. Anything you can tell me gratefully received.

Can anyone recommend an insurer and does anyone know of an indie mechanic in reach of Kent.

Many thanks,

Ian

Hi Ian

Welcome to SM and enjoy the hunt for your Trident. Most of your questions have been answered. The cost of tyres for the 4200 really isn't that bad. Somewhere between £150 and £180 per corner depending on if its front or rear tyres. If you go for GS wheels which there are a few 4200 with these wheels on the you step up from the 18inch to the 19 inch rim and the tyre costs jump by another £50 to £80 a corner. That's assuming your going for quality or approved brands. There are cheaper options but that's a personal choice.

Richard Grace cars has a nice black 2008 4200 car in at the moment which seems a bargain price for the year. Dickie is well known on the forum and always seems to provide good quality cars. Well worth talking to. He may even know of cars that are coming up in the next few months if you have something specific in mind.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Andyk

A big warm welcome Ian......The chaps have answered your questions above..........The most popular 4200 is the CC box....you will see that from the fact there are not many manuals for sale...not that the manual is bad or anything just that the CC was a more popular option but the clutch will not last as long as manual as I understand it and as you say a CC clutch is 2 to 3k.....Richard Grace as mentioned above is a great place to start your search...Top bloke.

gilbey

A big warm welcome Ian......The chaps have answered your questions above..........The most popular 4200 is the CC box....you will see that from the fact there are not many manuals for sale...not that the manual is bad or anything just that the CC was a more popular option but the clutch will not last as long as manual as I understand it and as you say a CC clutch is 2 to 3k.....Richard Grace as mentioned above is a great place to start your search...Top bloke.

Thanks for your advice, will update should I be successful.

Ian

gingeh721

My 4200 facelift is up for sale at PK supercars. It's been serviced, detailed, full wheel reconditioning, new discs and pads all round and many other things done to prepare for sale. It has also been inspected by PK and all jobs rectified in addition to having a new F1 pump, recent new tyres and sports cats fitted. The list goes on.

Have a look in the classifieds and you'll see my recent post.

StuartW

Welcome along Ian & good luck with your search. You'll find more advise on here than you can shake a stick at and if followed, you will get yourself a belter of a car. Giallo in Hildenborough would be a good indie for you in Kent.
Enjoy the hunt