Oil Pressure Switch again

petronic

Have seen many posts. Noticed to day used to go to five once started dropped only a little once warm and static. Now when static drops to 2.5 power on back to 5 slow down drops. Is it possible for the pressure sender to start working correctly thoughts please thanks peter

Emtee

Hi Peter, this sounds about right. Pressure at cold should bounce off the needle at five. As the oil warms it should slowly drop. I doubt it will drop to 2.5 before you drive off, as this would take some time, but once motoring and with the engine warm the car should idle at 2.5. In heavy traffic - start stop conditions with no air this will drop to 2.0, but as long as it rises to a full 5 again under acceleration you should be fine. If the needle jumps about, or has an erratic rest position, this suggests a dodgy sender.

Zep

When I got my car the needle was buried in the 5 mark all of the time. It was checked on a mechanical gauge and found to be correct. It also occasionally moved erratically as Miles mentioned.

After a bit of use it has settled down and now does exactly as described above. I've never seen below 2.5 even in Italy but there will always be a bit of variance between cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StuartW

Hi Peter, this sounds about right. Pressure at cold should bounce off the needle at five. As the oil warms it should slowly drop. I doubt it will drop to 2.5 before you drive off, as this would take some time, but once motoring and with the engine warm the car should idle at 2.5. In heavy traffic - start stop conditions with no air this will drop to 2.0, but as long as it rises to a full 5 again under acceleration you should be fine. If the needle jumps about, or has an erratic rest position, this suggests a dodgy sender.

Agreed, sounds spot on

allandwf

3200 behaves very differently from the way Miles describes things.
Correct, 3200 sender is different. It is an interference fit for the electrical connections internally in the unit, no solder! How that was going to last, or work at all, is debatable. I have opened a couple,( Jaegar internals,) they can be soldered but then you have a problem with sealing the unit again. Might make it a little project.