Experienced GS Drivers Please Help Newbies

2b1ask1

Special case
A CC clutch is mechanically the same as a normal manual gearbox car just that the clutch is actuated and managed by a hydraulic system with multiple sensors. Vis, we are taught to sit in traffic and at the lights in neutral because the thrust bearing is taking the load when the pedal is depressed whereas in neutral the clutch is closed and the thrust bearing is not loaded. Exactly as it is in out CC boxes.

I've got recent and continued excellent readings on my clutch that support this principle and I'll continue to grab neutral at every opportunity :)

CatmanV2

The problem with all of this is there is no statistically significant data around clutch wear vs all these little tricks. It's all pretty much guess work.

I suspect correct (good / voicey) set up is important, and not doing things like reversing up hill.

Stop start driving is probably not good, simply because you're getting lots of engagements per mile.

We have statements by people that *should* know that the shift parameters on auto are exactly the same as manual when in sport mode, but I don't know anyone (Voicey?) that can corrobrate that.

Otherwise I *personally* reckon driving style has far greater impact than anything else.

One of these days I'll count how many times I shift into neutral on a given journey. See how many engagements it actually saves :)

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to find my nomex underwear :)

C

CatmanV2

A CC clutch is mechanically the same as a normal manual gearbox car just that the clutch is actuated and managed by a hydraulic system with multiple sensors. Vis, we are taught to sit in traffic and at the lights in neutral because the thrust bearing is taking the load when the pedal is depressed whereas in neutral the clutch is closed and the thrust bearing is not loaded. Exactly as it is in out CC boxes.

I've got recent and continued excellent readings on my clutch that support this principle and I'll continue to grab neutral at every opportunity :)

Except our own Voicey has confirmed that the clutch is open on our cars when in neutral.....

C

MAF260

I like putting my car in neutral so that I can rev it and share the Maserati music with those around me!

Contigo

Sponsor
I like putting my car in neutral so that I can rev it and share the Maserati music with those around me!

That is all you do! pull those silly paddles in unison and rev the banana! God I'm glad I can dip the clutch rev it and slip the clutch without having to put it in Neutral!

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Except our own Voicey has confirmed that the clutch is open on our cars when in neutral.....

C

Exactly!
So no benefit in clutch life, or thrust bearing life, having it in neutral.
If your clutch is slightly engaged when in gear, with no throttle, it's set up to close and should be adjusted back so no drag.
The into neutral myth has been busted before, but it just lives on, and will never die!

MAF260

That is all you do! pull those silly paddles in unison and rev the banana! God I'm glad I can dip the clutch rev it and slip the clutch without having to put it in Neutral!

You're such a Luddite! The GS is a 21st Century car. Your old snotter is soooo last Century!

rossyl

I'm quite sure that if you leave the car in neutral for a while the sound changes. I don't know if this happens, and if it does why - but I'm very sure that someone mentioned something like that.

If the sound does change that implies that something changes while the car is in neutral.

CatmanV2

I'm quite sure that if you leave the car in neutral for a while the sound changes. I don't know if this happens, and if it does why - but I'm very sure that someone mentioned something like that.

If the sound does change that implies that something changes while the car is in neutral.

Only that you'll have dogs engaged on a gear, but it's not going to reduce wear and certainly not on the release bearing

C

VMSRTI

I used to put into Neutral but somewhere along the line I was convinced by someone not to because makes no difference.

Will watch this thread with interest!

CatmanV2

I used to put into Neutral but somewhere along the line I was convinced by someone not to because makes no difference.

Will watch this thread with interest!

Oh I still put it in neutral, but only cos it's smoother :)

C

Swedish Paul

When mine was in for it's service a few weeks back, they reset the gearbox back to default settings as I complained about the sluggish change. Funnt to listen to the gearbox going through its motions for a short while clunking away. Difference is night and day, better is sports mode around town, not so jerky. Apparently although there is no learn mode like in an Aston, but the gearbox does learn as you drive and change its settings over time.

CatmanV2

Not sure about that. There's something that both Craig and Voicey have referred to as 'self learn' mode where it goes through all the gears to understand the actual positions and so on as the actuators wear

C

Mr.Cambio

Putting the neutral on the one hand is better for the clutch, but on the other it's worse for the release bearing. So, the golden rule for me is to put in neutral when the stop lasts more than one minute.
As for the pis, mine was set at 3.9 and i had no additional clutch wear. But another golden rule is to start the car in a hard way, which means, your foot must give the gas pedal a clear and solid message that the car must start. This way you will prevent your clutch from slipping.
As for hill reversing, never do it.

sammyf

I read somewhere that for GS only; if you pull the "down" paddle while reversing, it will eliminate the pre-programmed clutch slip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

conaero

Forum Owner
I read somewhere that for GS only; if you pull the "down" paddle while reversing, it will eliminate the pre-programmed clutch slip?

Not heard that, someone please verify???

miket

When mine was in for it's service a few weeks back, they reset the gearbox back to default settings as I complained about the sluggish change. Funnt to listen to the gearbox going through its motions for a short while clunking away. Difference is night and day, better is sports mode around town, not so jerky. Apparently although there is no learn mode like in an Aston, but the gearbox does learn as you drive and change its settings over time.

I thought once the software had been updated there was NO going back?

sammyf

Not heard that, someone please verify???

Ok, I found the info on the other forum:

Put car into reverse, before letting off brake pull and hold down paddle. After couple of secs you should get beep and/or tranny warning light on dash. Let off brake and depress accelerator to begin reversing. NOTE: minimum reverse speed will be higher! So please try first in open space with nothing to hit!

I am going to try it out later...