Urgent help

Wack61

Ok car started again but getting the following error messages:

Tire pressure system failure
Electrical system failure

Airbag Failure

Would these disappear with a battery reset and would my dealer do this FOC?

Like I said a few posts back, if you've got a battery cell down it'll never put the right voltage out , your cheapest option is going to be a new battery

Tbh I'd be pretty annoyed if it broke down in my first few days of ownership and the first place I came looking for advice was this forum then I found this thread

I really can't believe you're going to sell it like this at £24,000 for the sake of £100

Who's to say he's not reading this now, I would be, and I'd be backing away

if you take it to a dealer they'll charge you for whatever they do , fiat charged me £70 to switch the service light off on my van so Maserati will want a lot more to connect it to their £40,000 computer

voicey

Firstly, where are you? If you can get the car to me I'll reset all your lights FOC.

Also a note on jump starting. There is a real and present danger when jump starting a car with a very flat battery. The danger point is when the jump leads are disconnected - the voltage can spike considerably and fry expensive equipment. I see it all the time with Ferraris - the most common issue is a blown airbag module or the dash lights go out.

The phenomenon is called Load Dump: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Load_dump

Wack61

I'll get the **** battery! Car is costing more to sell. This Ferrari better be worth it lol

It's going to cost at least £100 whichever way you go about it, at least you can give the new owner a 3-4 year guarantee with it

ChrisQP09

Firstly, where are you? If you can get the car to me I'll reset all your lights FOC.

Also a note on jump starting. There is a real and present danger when jump starting a car with a very flat battery. The danger point is when the jump leads are disconnected - the voltage can spike considerably and fry expensive equipment. I see it all the time with Ferraris - the most common issue is a blown airbag module or the dash lights go out.

The phenomenon is called Load Dump: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Load_dump

I'm in NI mate unfortunately. Do you think I have a blown airbag module then?

voicey

I'm in NI mate unfortunately. Do you think I have a blown airbag module then?

Did you jump start the car? I thought you charged the battery. Unless the car is plugged into an SD3 you'll never know if it just needs a reset or something has fried - sorry.

ChrisQP09

Did you jump start the car? I thought you charged the battery. Unless the car is plugged into an SD3 you'll never know if it just needs a reset or something has fried - sorry.

Recovery guy used a jump pack and several ppl recommended a jump start here ? I was getting a host of errors before the jump.

Wack61

I think the only thing you can do is fit a new battery and see if the errors go away , 6 years means it's on its last legs anyway , especially if you've had problems.

IIRC halfords will fit it for you and I think the AA/ RAC also fit batteries they supply

QP4Me

I have jumpstarted my QP on many occasions with no ill effects.

Also, I could not be arsed messing around with dud batteries, just buy a new one!

Gixerboy

All,
it's a battery , there is so much incorrect information & scaremongering here.

Battery voltage does not go over 13.8 by jump starting,
Low voltage drops ( when cranking a car )will cause error messages if system voltage drops below 9v.( e.g discharged battery)

Solution :-
jump car , charge battery , disconnect , reconnect , all done.error messages cleared.

Battery voltage car off should be 12-13v
Battery voltage when cranking (starting) should remain greater than 11v
Battery voltage engine running (alternator charging should be 13.8 - 14v
Voltage regulator within the car keeps sensitive electronics limited to 12.5 locally

Cheers

casadalloro

Chris, sorry ive been out of action this week getting last chemo(hopefully!).

If you need a battery go to batteryworld/batyre and ask for colin ..say i sent you.. We get all out batteries from them.. If you need a charger now or later i can get absaar through work though im likely to be off for a wee while yet..but i can contact work and get it at the right price...

Mark.

ChrisQP09

Chris, sorry ive been out of action this week getting last chemo(hopefully!).

If you need a battery go to batteryworld/batyre and ask for colin ..say i sent you.. We get all out batteries from them.. If you need a charger now or later i can get absaar through work though im likely to be off for a wee while yet..but i can contact work and get it at the right price...

Mark.

Gentleman Mark, I hope everything goes to plan with treatment. I'll look into batteryworld thanks again. When I get the new car, we'll def go for a cruise.

casadalloro

No probs and thanks.... Hopefully going to super sunday at hillsborough oyster festival next weekend..maybe see you there..hursts bringing a few cars.. Maser grancabrio, ferrari 458 i think and jag f type r...

ChrisQP09

No probs and thanks.... Hopefully going to super sunday at hillsborough oyster festival next weekend..maybe see you there..hursts bringing a few cars.. Maser grancabrio, ferrari 458 i think and jag f type r...

Not sure if I'll get going despite being registered to take part, the guy wants to buy my car but not sure yet when he wants to do the handover. If it does sell, I'll ask guys to withdraw mine. Love the gran cabs

Changed out my battery this a.m
I am no mechanic but all went well (thank you all for your input (especially drewf)
So I bit the bullet
Emptied boot out for as much room as possible
Placed an old shower curtain on the boot floor
2 telephone directories at the ready
disconnected the -ive terminal and moved it out of the way and held it back with some tape
removed the retaining bar
slid the battery along in its tray to the stop at the rhs to get better access to the +ive terminal but no good
lifted battery partially over the compartment lip onto the aforementioned telephone directories for support and got good access to +ive terminal because the lead was quite long
slackened off the clamp and the whole assembly came off in one (thanks drewf)
moved it out of the way and slid the battery onto the telephone directories and out of the boot
New battery onto the telephone directories and attached the +ive assembly
Slid battery over lip into housing (partially) and attached -ive lead
Slid battery completely into the compartment and replaced the retaining bar - this was the hardest bit due to lack of space
Jobs a teacake
BTW the shower curtain was to assist with sliding telephone directories and battery around
Mechanically opened the doors and put it into ignition mode for a couple of minutes
Lots of noises
Cycled the lock /unlock from the key a couple of times and they now work electronically again, boot operates
no errors on the dash just the mltimedia code to enter now and then I will try to actually start it!
Hopefully that's it
thanks again everyone

ChrisQP09

Got started up, apparently the dealership said there is a fault code regarding a diode within the Body Control Module?

Apparently you can disconnect this and connect again which resets the faults? I seen this on maserati usa forum.

Does anyone know where under the passenger dash the BCM is?

StuartW

Changed out my battery this a.m
I am no mechanic but all went well (thank you all for your input (especially drewf)
So I bit the bullet
Emptied boot out for as much room as possible
Placed an old shower curtain on the boot floor
2 telephone directories at the ready
disconnected the -ive terminal and moved it out of the way and held it back with some tape
removed the retaining bar
slid the battery along in its tray to the stop at the rhs to get better access to the +ive terminal but no good
lifted battery partially over the compartment lip onto the aforementioned telephone directories for support and got good access to +ive terminal because the lead was quite long
slackened off the clamp and the whole assembly came off in one (thanks drewf)
moved it out of the way and slid the battery onto the telephone directories and out of the boot
New battery onto the telephone directories and attached the +ive assembly
Slid battery over lip into housing (partially) and attached -ive lead
Slid battery completely into the compartment and replaced the retaining bar - this was the hardest bit due to lack of space
Jobs a teacake
BTW the shower curtain was to assist with sliding telephone directories and battery around
Mechanically opened the doors and put it into ignition mode for a couple of minutes
Lots of noises
Cycled the lock /unlock from the key a couple of times and they now work electronically again, boot operates
no errors on the dash just the mltimedia code to enter now and then I will try to actually start it!
Hopefully that's it
thanks again everyone

That all sounds promising, I was wondering about the shower curtain at first! I hope it will all be sorted now - you would think a battery change would be a little easier than that, imagine what an apprentice at. Kwik Fit would make of that!

God forbid an apprentice.
The leads to the battery posts were not even typical, they had a sort of T bar arrangement on them
I also managed not to damage the recess for the battery hence the directories
I doubt Kwik fit etc would have bothered so I am quite pleased
50mins start to finish

CatmanV2

That all sounds promising, I was wondering about the shower curtain at first! I hope it will all be sorted now - you would think a battery change would be a little easier than that, imagine what an apprentice at. Kwik Fit would make of that!

Given that they probably change more batteries in more different cars with more electronics than ours in a week than most of us would do in a lifetime, I'd expect them to be mostly OK.

I recall watching the bloke at Halfords swap the battery in my 3.2 GT. I decided to pay cos I knew it was a pig of a job. Unsurprisingly it wasn't his first and he was just fine.

C