Black box removal

Fran

3 years ago I had a black box installed in my Maserati 4200 by Admiral insurance. Orange actually fitted it. They want 90£ to remove it.

I saw the installer working around the dashboard for few minutes.

HAVE YOU GOT ANY IDEA HOW TO FIND IT AND REMOVE IT? I LEFT ADMIRAL LONG TIME AGO.

I just want to remove it to avoid any battery drain. Long ago I removed the original tracker under the passenger footwell, this was a beast! this new one should have small batteries but I would prefer to remove it since not required.

FM

conaero

Forum Owner
Give it to an auto electrician, he will have it out in under and hour and your looking at about £40 for the pleasure.

drewf

Took me about 5 minutes to locate and remove the black box from my daughter's car recently. It only connects with one live wire to the fuse box, and one earth wire screwed to a metal body part. Willing to bet you could find it and remove it in roughly the same time yourself, if you have a vague idea which side the chap fitted it.

Fran

I will have a look again but so far could not find the box. Unless is hidden in the steering column plastic box

F

drewf

Because it needs to see GPS, I'd look for it being fairly high up, not in the footwell. The unit I removed was about 4" long, 2" wide and 3/4" deep, 10cm x 5cm x 2cm. It was literally a black plastic box, and had been fastened in place with sticky velcro on top of the air vent tubing behind the facia. There was a removable wiring plug on that particular model, so it would be very easy to disconnect without requiring any electrical skills. I appreciate you still need to find it!!

Fran

I will look carefully over the weekend. Thanks for the info Drewf. You are right the box is smaller than a pack of cigarette and it must be in a position where it can get some signal and near to an easy to connect power source

there not many hiding places in the 4200 with easy reach and looking at the sky! I doubt any generic installer will venture under this car dashboard.

So I suppose the box is near to the steering column or over the drive foot well. This is also where I saw the guy working

F