Cracked front grill

Ryandoc

Folks

Picked up this must have been the other week when I was in Glasgow, there's no damage to the spoiler in front of it so must have been a stone coming in a just the right angle.

Had a look online the grill seems to be part number 3 but that's not listed but I'm guessing it's actually part number 13 at €212 ?

Anyone replaced this part and if so how much was it ??

Ryandoc

Strange how it's happened, no damage to anything around it so must have been a direct hit !

To be honest I might replace the 'air conveyer' behind it as well and maybe the chrome trim, freshen the front end up a bit, curious to see if anyone knows UK dealer prices for the parts though

D Walker

Give JCT 600 a ring in Leeds, Mike Heathcote was telling me they will usually match other suppliers prices!

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Give JCT 600 a ring in Leeds, Mike Heathcote was telling me they will usually match other suppliers prices!

Yes, usually find 10% is available off listed prices, and suppliers such as Eurospares are usually around 10% off listed prices.
Depends where you live, if you live near a main dealer its easier to call in and pick up, saving carriage, and usually time too, even if the part needs to come from Italy.
If you don't ask...

Ryandoc

Will make a few calls, anyone know how easy it is to get the front bumper section off, DIY job ??

EXCF350

I'm afraid it also looks like the paint has cracked - the photo shows a crazed effect from the number plate mount towards the broken piece.
Have you ever touched the number plate against a kerb? I suspect it was caused by the bumper being pushed in. The front bumper bends quite a lot without breaking but unfortunately cracks all the paint - it happened to me when I hit a pheasant.

Ryandoc

Well spotted however I know for a fact that the paint crazing was there before, genuinely think this one was just an uncanny direct hit from something.

You're right though paint is crazed at some point on both sides of the bumper must just be a usual place for it to happen? It was also on my mind to get it painted as well, this could be a grand+ by the time it's all done.

Wack61

That looks like a clean break, get some araldite on it, if it's as clean as it looks I bet its barely noticeable when glued back together

Ryandoc

I wish, knowing it was there would bug the life out of me, could maybe work as a solution for now as she won't move much over winter and I'd probably get Mitchell Inglis in Glasgow to do the work so would save me getting her there over the winter

Ryandoc

Folks,

Had some feedback and have a few questions for the knowledgeable ones

1) Been quoted £755 + VAT for front bumper re-spray, this isn't from Maserati but an indi body shop who do the high end cars. Anyone any thoughts on that price?

2) Been informed that the mesh grills either side of the front bumper are actually moulded into the bumper and so a pain to replace (require grinding down and re-bonding new ones) ?

3) Regards ordering up replacement trims, grill, air conveyer etc I was advised to look at Eurospares however am I right in thinking that Eurospares is infact salvaged / second hand parts? If thats the case anywhere that is best to get prices for new parts or should I just go to my local dealership?

I'm North East so any recommendations of bodyshops near'ish to me fully welcome.

Cheers

MikeyMaser

Seems a lot of money for such a small thing. Can't you just replace the broken main grille and get a smart repair for crazed paint on the bumper? Suspect that - even though it wouldn't be perfect - it would be much cheaper!

Ryandoc

Yeah does seem steep, trouble is over the years I have little experience of getting paint work done so nothing to compare it with. As for the smart repair as the crazing is the the bend / lip at the front i'm kind of inclined to go the whole hog as I dont trust the smart repair to cut it.

Plus the garage i bought it from had the boot painted and when I collected her the paint match was way off, this body shop i used that then re-painted had 3 different shades of bianco eldorado and so i know they can match perfectly as that would also be a concern.

shame i got the cracked grill in the first place as its got me wanting to do all this.

MikeyMaser

If I was you, I'd just do minimum now. Then wait a year or two for the stonechips to build up and do a full blended front end respray. This wouldn't cost much more than what you're paying now for just a bumper respray.

Ryandoc

I hear what you're saying Mike but the stone chips would build up regardless of when I do it and as I intend on keeping her a good few years, and i've picked up the damage on the grill then I may as well go for it now. The boot respray I had done start of the year was a near perfect colour match so i'm confident I don't need to do any blending on any of the panels and the front bumper alone would be ok. I can actually live with stone chips as I gave up being obsessed about them years back, they're for being driven after all !
Kind of been forced into it what with the grill damage, admittedly i could just replace that but opportunity to freshen the front end up.

Does anyone know if JCT Leeds do their own bodywork or they ship it out?

Ryandoc

For the front grill assembly they state its unavailable ?? I take it they buy in and sell rather than supply on demand so to speak?

safrane

Most parts have to be ordered from the factory.

Note that bith Dick Lovett and Meriden Modena do a discount for the forum members....I also have a discount card for the latter Co with up to 15%off.

conaero

Forum Owner
I take it, its the vertical teeth that are broken?

I have the chrome grill surround if its of any use?

Ryandoc

Thanks for the head up Safrane, may come back to you on this later.

Conaero picture is in the first page, the crack is on the surround of the vertical teeth if you like but from what I can gather online the whole unit comes as one piece? what is it exactly you have? I've posted a drawing on the first page also

Cheers