Long Time Motorhead But New To Maserati

drewf

Nice!

All of it - very nice indeed!!

Great looking aircraft - haven't seen one in the flesh yet. I believe it's a slick development of one of the older RV craft. Looks superb in that blue - very jealous indeed here :)

Contigo

Sponsor
someone sign him up for Le Mans! Lee will take place of Kempy for the best story teller!

slidefighter

LOL! You guys are great, I appreciate all the thoughtful comments. I've been lucky: 4,500+ hours in fighters and a couple hundred combat missions, 20+ years after that in aerospace worldwide and a lot of travel on the side. One wife and no kids, so a lot of toys.

As you can see, I finally got an avatar going so I'll try to catch up a bit:

1. Yes drew, in fact there are two "Rocket" models, one is derived from the RV-4 like you said and called a Harmon Rocket and the other is very similar but scratch engineered and called an F1 Rocket. Mine is an F1.
2. Dave: Love your guitar. Is that a National? I'll bet it sounds wonderful. My Dad was a career long country music radio broadcaster, so I grew up with a lot of that stuff.

BTW, just pulled all my console buttons out this morning. They ship to Lorenzo tomorrow, so my Coupe is hors de combat until next Friday or so. I'll be forced to ride one of these:

DSC_0460.jpg
DSC_0463.jpg

I'm thinking of shipping my 690 back over to Europe next spring. Met some great guys from Spain on the Isle of Man in May (policemen, actually---they gave me a Barcelona policeman's shirt!). Anyway, I'd really like to catch up with them and do some riding next year. Maybe if there is a Maserati meeting going on somewhere, I can make it to it. Little chance I suppose, but maybe I'll get lucky. I've been to the Ace 3-4 times with some English friends, but never on a car day.

Anyway, sorry to hog so much bandwidth. Great weather here in South Carolina. Has been for days: Perfect blue skies and 70 "real" degrees! Let's see; can't drive the Maser, the console's out. Can't fly the Rocket, I've got the tail wheel assembly out of it waiting on a new tire. Don't want to ride the 690---rode it yesterday. Guess I'll have to ride my new 2015 BMW 1000RR. Oh well, decisions, decisions! Oh, and sorry for the mess in the garage, I've got builders working during the week paying my wife off for my new Maser---she's getting a new kitchen. While they're at it, they are painting and mending a bunch of stuff. Their gear is everywhere!

Have a great day everyone!

Lee...

VMSRTI

G'day Lee and welcome to the greatest forum on the planet.

Congratulations on getting into Trident ownership.

Tell me about your guns. Are you a hunter, target shooter, collector or are they for personal protection?

slidefighter

Well, let's see, where were we? Good romp on the BMW, by the way. What a beast that thing is...no traffic or police on our back roads here in semi-rural South Carolina, so quick jaunts up over 100 (often, well over) are easy and as always, very satisfying.

1. rockits: My build sheet (or whatever you call it), says the car is Nuvolari Gray (which is Grigio Nuvolari translated into American, I'm guessing).

2. VMSRTI: I'll PM you. All of the options you mentioned are popular hobbies and activities over here; as for me, I do a modest amount of target shooting just to keep reasonably sharp, but my collection is really just for sport shooting and home/community defense. By the way, I've visited your city of Melbourne several times---one of my favorite places in the whole world. I was lunching at an Italian cafe on Collins Street when a guy came up the hill from Elizabeth on a Ducati Senna. He didn't put the front wheel down for 200 yards! My kind of downtown! I've gotten to do a fair amount of bike riding in southeastern Oz, including of course the Great Ocean Road out nearly to Adelaide. I think it's been updated but last time I rode it, but then it was still a "Great Ocean" but not a "Great Road"! Potholes and road kill everywhere! Made two trips to Tazzie; now there's some riding---I don't think I missed a single road of significance!

Just wondering: I don't know what the real numbers are, but I just don't see many Maserati's over here, at least not around here. I'm on the East Coast half way between Charleston and Savannah and in the same county with Hilton Head, a major and quite wealthy golf and vacation area. Countless BMW's, Mercedes, Porsches, and even quite a few Ferrari's but Maserati's are few and far between. Are you guys the same kind of "stand-outs" over there I think I'm going to be over here? There's no dealer anywhere around here.

Lee...

VMSRTI

Lee
they are certainly not common in Melbourne but they are around. I recently saw three in the same day within a km from my place but that is very rare.
Most days I would not see one unless I was driving around Richmond where the main dealer and an indy operate.

If you are ever back in Melbourne, let us know. A bunch of us get together for breakfast in Middle Park down by the beach from time to time (doing so again this Saturday with an interstate visitor - queenslander and SM member Bruce BL330.

Do you still have the cafe?

slidefighter

George: If you're referring to the cafe on Collins, no, I was just having lunch there. A silver Ducati with red wheels will get your attention though---every time! Those Senna's were pretty sweet. Never saw a street like Elizabeth in any other city...right in downtown Melbourne and with a dozen motorcycle shops in just 3-4 blocks! Wonderful...

Lee...

Morebeans

Lee you sound like the type to go for a beer with and mull over some fine stories! If I'm out your way again I'll hook up!

Well done mate, use the car in manual sport mode as much as you can! The Auto mode is an afterthought!

I just collected a Quattroporte with a similar box and it is great.... Also have a 3200 :D Got another Maser coming this week too, I have a problem, but a good one!

Hi Phil

I thought you were going for a GTS? What made you go for the QP?

MB

Contigo

Sponsor
Hi Adam, had the chance to have Ewans QP so took it and plan to keep for Le Mans and then get into an MCS later in the year.

Gutted you are selling/sold yours!

What you replacing with?

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
What an arrival on the forum, Lee. Good job, and in the unlikely event you don't already feel very welcome, let me throw in some warm greetings of my own. Glad you're enjoying that fantastic car - it's looks great in that colour.

You asked about how common Maseratis are here. I live pretty close to a main Maserati and Ferrari dealer and they're still pretty scarce round here. In general I'd day Maseratis are more scarce than Ferraris, even in wealthy areas. There's one street near my office in London which generally has two or three Ferraris but I've never seen a Maser. It's a more discerning person that chooses the Trident over the horse.

Do give us some notice when you plan on coming over here, and keep an eye on the events section. There's often some mayhem going in somewhere.

Incidentally, whatever they put in the water over in South Carolina - I'll have some of that!

Morebeans

Hi Adam, had the chance to have Ewans QP so took it and plan to keep for Le Mans and then get into an MCS later in the year.

Gutted you are selling/sold yours!

What you replacing with?

That's a fine car Phil. What are your thoughts on the MCS - leave the exhaust stock or turn up the db??

Dicky Grace has done a fine job and is in the process of selling my GTS - top bloke! I am gutted, as it is a fantastic car and one that I'll never forget, but I may have the opportunity to replace it with a Fezza, if a number of things fall into place.

All the best - MB