1-10 Top Tips and advice for a Maserati 4200 Cambiocorsa (2002)

Kyle4200

Hello fellow Maserati owners, as a junior member I would like to call upon the senior members for a top 1-10 tips/advice for the 4200 Coupé Cambiocorsa, I purchased it back in April and so far it has been my weekend cruiser - I put it in for a full service in July (air, pollen, oil filters, spark plugs and oil change) and since then I've had the cam cover gaskets done (oil leak), I also replaced the front o2 sensors last weekend - but now I seem to have a rough idle and also some hestistant surging while driving? It is the strangest feeling, like the engine is struggling as if it doesn't have any power on the lower rev range!
A little help needed on this please, I've already thought of fuel injectors/maf sensor or could it just be relearning?

BL330

Hi Kyle,
It could be a crack in the MAF housing, which is not unheard of.
With a recent Check Engine Light I had to clean the MAF Sensor and smoothness returned.
Unfortunately I now have a dodgy coil pack on cylinder one to be replaced.
It gives a rough idle and now after a hard run keeps stalling at lights when you select gear. Frustrating.
Hope you sort yours.

CatmanV2

Sounds like it's misfiring (your symptoms are the same as mine)

Many possible causes. If you read my thread 'Well that's unfortunate' you'll see my (probable) solution. Hopefully fixed today.

I suspect you'll need an OBDII reader to tell you where the misfire is.

You could try a battery reset as well, in case its something really simple.

*Also* did this happen when you did the O2 sensors?

C

voicey

Recent plug change? I would bet your MAF or wiring has been disturbed/damaged. Who did the work?

Kyle4200

Thanks for your replies,

Going back a few months I needed both the o2 sensors changed as they were both throwing up fault codes, I was also getting a very lumpy ride and occasionally it would literally jolt and seem like t was going to stall, I just used to turn off the engine and start her up again and it would sometimes go away, after changing 1 of the o2 sensors it never returned but I was still getting poor consumption as the other o2 Sr. was not trimming, since last weekend when I changed the second sensor it seemed all was okay, I drove it but it started to display the symptoms I mentioned above, this has only happened since I changed the sensor. It's like a combination of a cold start I feel the rough idle, let it warm up and begin to move with it being hesitant, when I apply full throttle the engine revs but I feel held back then suddenly a surge of power, changes up a gear and it back to being held back for a few thousand revs, almost as if a few cylinders are just along for the ride then wake up.
The plugs were done in July and the Cam Covers in October

CatmanV2

I saw in another thread you have some kind of diagnostic software. Does it show any pending trouble codes?

C

Kyle4200

Found the cause of the misfire, the culprit was cylinder 2 ignition coil, the wire was worn and exposed meaning every now and again it would stop working, I've since unplugged the injector for that cylinder so I was running on a V7 back from emblem, just waiting to order a new part and get it fitted, maybe a new spark plug will be needed after being flooded with fuel? Still, what's everyone's top 10 for the 4200 cambiocorsa's

CatmanV2

Whip the plug out and check, but it's only cheap.

Make sure you get the right coil! The new ones have the cable as a piece, the old ones can be unplugged.

C

Kyle4200

Hello Catman, do you have a part number for this? It's my is 2002 - I can see the black wire is worn and exposing 3 coloured wires inside, one of which is completely disconnected/snapped.