Engine Crackle Paint

voicey

Does anyone have any recommendations for someone to paint it though. I don't fancy doing it myself.

Crackle paint is an absolute piece of pee. Remove your part and get as much of the old paint off - either use a proper chemical stripper (like starchem) or a wire wheel in a drill. Once the bare aluminium is exposed you need to key the surface with wire wool (not needed if you use the wire wheel). Mask up and clean the surface with panel wipe.

The trick to using this paint is heat. Get the temperature up in the area you'll be painting and pre-heat the can and the part. Give it at least three good coats of paint and leave it in the warm room until it crackles.

Once it has crackled you need to leave it alone for a week to harden. You can handle it after a day but the paint will be soft underneath.

VMSRTI

I hate the gold plenum! If I keep the 4.2 engine it'll be painted black. If I fit a 4.7 it'll be black anyway (if it fits, not sure). The rocker covers will then be finished in the same colour as the car, but crinkle finish.

Mine's already been re-done in red. It was either red or black, so I opted for red to match the cam covers.

TBH I'm not a fan of the gold either. Any chance we can have a look at yours Benny?

voicey

Can they do wrinkle paint in a choice of colours? If so I'll be putting a lot of work their way...

GeoffCapes

get em to paint your carpets while its in there ;P

I asked them if they will paint a plenum pink for you.
They said purely on the grounds of taste that they wouldn't. But when I mentioned you had a lilac car they said they're be more than happy to accomodate as they wouldn't want to be seen as prejudiced to homosexual owners.

Spartacus

I asked them if they will paint a plenum pink for you.
They said purely on the grounds of taste that they wouldn't. But when I mentioned you had a lilac car they said they're be more than happy to accomodate as they wouldn't want to be seen as prejudiced to homosexual owners.

' touched a nerve there i think gentlemen ;P

Last edited:

Spartacus

Well they re yellow! You think they would be black?
I had an Alfa GTV with tobacco leather and loved it but it had a black dash carpets and door cards.

Last edited:

zagatoes30

I like the Tobacco interior but am not sure about the carpet colour but it probably is better in real life

RobinD

Any decent powder coaters should be able to give you the wrinkle finish and in any colour, even mix to your preference at a cost (min normally 5kg)

Marcelati

I had my car inlet manifold coated by the Performance 1 Coatings guys and very chuffed with the decision.
Mainly did it with them for cosmetic reasons...
Don't have a photo of it, but it is also on a non-Maseratti car, so I better not say the name... :-D

On my bike's exhausts, and because I was suffering with heat coming through my legs, I went with Zircotec and.... oh man... the difference it made!!!!