Thank you very, very much.......

Andy Marshall

........ To whoever decided to park next to my Granturismo at East Midlands Parkway railway station on friday. I know that i took the trouble to park away from other cars but that did not deter you from choosing to seek me out.... Thank you for parking so close to my passenger side that you had to fold my door mirror in order to get out of your vehicle ( whatever it was). Special mention must go to the significant dent you left in my passenger side door as you heaved your fat carcass out of your car ( I am assuming you have a weight problem, given the extent of the damage you inflicted) Well done, no really, well done. I shall be speaking to the station security people on tuesday to find out if their CCTV captured your moment of fuckwittery. If it did, expect a visit from the Police.

Anyone know a decent dents away chap in the east midlands?

StuartW

Really sorry to hear that, it's not like they didn't know what they had done by the sounds of it - I hope you get it sorted out

highlander

Sorry to hear this, fraid it is a sign of the times that most people Today only see a car as a means to get from A to B so don't care what happens to theirs or others.
Hope you get it sorted ok.

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Amazingly level of mindless, ignorant stupidity. Sorry to read that. Here's hoping for an easy fix. I used Dent Devils before and was amazed at the miracle they performed. Worth a go.

MAF260

You have my sympathy - I had a similar experience recently with my Ghibli, although the damage was limited to the front bumper. I hope you have better luck than me with regards the CCTV - the Police didn't bother collecting the footage as the time frame I gave them for when the damage happened was too long for them to watch. This was despite the car being parked next to a camera which would have captured the incident and 2 crimes being committed! I've had the damage repaired now and had to accept that justice is out of reach on this occasion.

Wack61

This is the situation where you feel the law has let you down , there is evidence a crime has been committed but they just can't look for it because funds won't allow which is wrong

The only answer is what the guy with the Aston martin had , cameras inside the car covering 360 degrees so you hold the evidence so can insist on a prosecution

6 points and a £500 fine would stop them doing it , as it is they'll probably just drive off if it happens again

my car isn't a daily driver, the thought of parking it in a station car park would worry me that much after spending all this time on it I'd probably go by taxi

They've spent 100s of millions of pounds on CCTV nationwide what's the point if the man in the street can't use it when he needs it

2 of these with wide angle lenses should do it

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...A0.H0.Xmobiu.TRS0&_nkw=mobius+camera&_sacat=0

Andy that is awful
Best wishes for you to get it fixed and get the culprit.
Do not expect much help from the police though

On a similar note I was in a supermarket car park yesterday in my Renault and I could not believe this woman about 30's was driving the massive BMW X6(?) I think and she could not get it into a space no matter how she tried.
So she reversed out and tried a similar place 2 or 3 bays down with the same result (identical bays!)
She persisted but failed miserably. I left before I witnessed any damage that was definitely going to happen
Several thoughts
Cars too big?
Incompetent drivers?
Bays too small?

CatmanV2

In the A8s case the car is too big and the bays are too small. It took me for points to get out of a slot in Epping car park last week. I did manage without hitting anyone, though! Now I just park on the end.

In honesty, it completely fills a 'normal' bay

C

dem maser

This is the situation where you feel the law has let you down , there is evidence a crime has been committed but they just can't look for it because funds won't allow which is wrong

The only answer is what the guy with the Aston martin had , cameras inside the car covering 360 degrees so you hold the evidence so can insist on a prosecution

6 points and a £500 fine would stop them doing it , as it is they'll probably just drive off if it happens again

my car isn't a daily driver, the thought of parking it in a station car park would worry me that much after spending all this time on it I'd probably go by taxi

They've spent 100s of millions of pounds on CCTV nationwide what's the point if the man in the street can't use it when he needs it

2 of these with wide angle lenses should do it

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...A0.H0.Xmobiu.TRS0&_nkw=mobius+camera&_sacat=0

What cameras do you recommend that can record even while car is locked and off, say at a car park for a few hours or overnight

TridentTested

Cars too big?
Incompetent drivers?
Bays too small?

Cars have simply got too big. Today's Polo is bigger than a Mk 1 Golf.

There's a multi-storey in a supermarket near me. To use the exit lane requires negotiating a hairpin bend. In the Alfa 166 I had to do a three point turn at the hairpin. In my Citroën C6 the same turn required a five point manoeuvre. I haven't dared take the QP there.

Wack61

I've had one of these for 2 years now , it starts when it's live and runs on a continuous loop, with a 32gb card in it should do 6 -8 hours, more if you turn the resolution down, it's never crashed

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PRANCE-Nov...ds=e prance&qid=1445508431&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

I bought one that cost more than double from Argos and it's ****, keeps crashing

I do think I'm going to look for one that has a small second camera to put in the back window rather than a 2 separate cameras

Doohickey

Velociraptor
Cars have simply got too big.

A standard parking space is 2.4m x 4.8m so you can see where the problem is. A Golf is 2m x 4.3m so anything bigger than that and you are going to struggle to open the doors. A number of supermarkets are putting 2.5m wide bays in now but it doesn't make that much difference.

The car park I use daily has been refurbished to remove spaces and make the ones that are left much bigger. It's great (a number of spaces where I'll happily leave the Masser with no fear of dings) but must have cost them something in revenue.

TridentTested

but must have cost them something in revenue.

That's the nub of it: money.

Westfield Shopping Centre has decent sized bays. I'll take the QP there without a problem. But then they charge handsomely for the pleasure.

The bigger problem is the congestion these wide cars are causing on the roads. I'm typing this looking out the window at a typical 1930s residential street. When it was built there was plenty of space for cars to be parked on both sides and traffic to pass in both directions. Modern cars are now so fat that the parking on both sides has constricted the road to single flow only; which means drivers have to keep pulling in to let oncoming cars pass. When the inevitable congestion this causes becomes too bad, you can't blame the local council when they have to put double-yellows down one side. We all suffer the loss of parking space because our cars are too big.

I hate to say, as a car lover and the owner of a big car, but they've got too fat and the only way to incentivise manufacturers to start slimming them down is through legislation or taxation.

:(

Wack61

It's EU legislation that's made them so wide , I believe there needs to be a set distance between you and the door for crash protection

I did read the government is thinking of expanding London's no parking on the kerb nationwide with a £70 fine if you do

New estates are being built with a road 10ft wide and 2 parking spaces so not sure how that's going home work apart from being another cash cow

CatmanV2

It's EU legislation that's made them so wide , I believe there needs to be a set distance between you and the door for crash protection

That seems very unlikely. Even if it *is* cearly the Smart must comply, so the A8 is just mad.

C

Doohickey

Velociraptor
New estates are being built with a road 10ft wide and 2 parking spaces so not sure how that's going home work apart from being another cash cow

A lot of planning authorities are restricting the number of parking spaces that you can have with a house to one even on a 3 bed house where most people have two cars. I suppose the idea is to encourage you to not have a car but it just means people park on the road or rip up the garden. We had one recently where the occupants tore up the common landscaping area next to their drive to widen their parking area!

There is a busy body on the street where my parents live who knocks on the door and tells you to move your car if you've parked on the pavement. Trouble is, the bloke who lives opposite parks his van on the road so you can't park near my parents' house if you don't park with a couple of wheels on the pavement.

rockits

I got a ticket a few years back when I had a flat in a block with 1 parking space per flat if that. My flat mate & I had one car each and many others did so obviously there was a large parking issue!

I parked with 2 wheels on the kerb one Friday night so the cars could get by easy & reverse out of adjacent spaces easily. Common sense but obviously not to parking attendant. Came out on Saturday next morning at 8.38am to find a ticket on my windscreen already!

Never parked like that again & constantly caused discussions for people & cars that couldn't get through easy. That is the problem often as councils don't employ any common sense.

The XJ in multi stories is interesting! Just had the wheels refurb'd because of the impossibility to get round tight bends in that.

Contigo

Sponsor
As much as I love cars they have ruined the average residential road / cul-de-sac / housing estate / legoland.