Droning at 2000-2300 RPM (only automatic versions)

Robman

Hi,

the GranCabrio (Normal/Sport/MC) are very loud / droning at ~ 2.000 - 2.300 (in my opinion).

My garage says "J-Pipes" can be the solution (it works for a Camaro for example).

Is anybody here who has made his exhaust / muffler quieter? ;)

Best

edit: I removed the GT(S).

Robman

Maybe I'm more sensitive than you. The louder sounds at 2000 - 2300 RPM (NOT F1-Model) not disturb you. Many people like that.
Or your GT is more silent, mh.

I drove several models:
- my Maserati GranCabrio (Automatic)
- a new Maserati GranCabrio MC (Automatic)
- a new Maserati GranTurismo MC Stradale (F1)

My car / GranCabrio is ok (because the new MC Cabrio is also affected). Maybe only Cabrios drone... I don`t drove a GT(S).
With open claps it is more "terrible".

I test custom J-Pipes in the next week...

GeoffCapes

I think you need a H pipe.

Message Contigo. A couple of hundred quid and you'll never hear a drone again. :)

jluis

There is a simple solution for the droning problem.
Just drive it like you stole it, always above 4000RPM
Problem solved :)

Contigo

Sponsor
Drone? I think your car has a fault. Mine in normal mode is too quiet, I honestly wish it were louder and less raspy. However, in SPORT mode it is like waking THOR! The rumble, rasp, pops and crackles are just amazing and there is no drone in any mode. You need to seriously check that no one has messed with your exhaust system if there is any sort of drone.

Here is mine, valves closed then open with Custom H pipe.

[video]https://youtu.be/wbLVTkmaVvM[/video]

Contigo

Sponsor
There is a simple solution for the droning problem.
Just drive it like you stole it, always above 4000RPM
Problem solved :)

Or this :D

If you are driving at 2k rpm then even in top gear on the motorway you are not at a proper Maserati speed. Try the outside lane every now and then :D

AaronE

I'm with you... 2200-2500 in Sport mode isnt a happy place for my convertible either.

I think the cab is just as loud as the coupe, but I think you just hear it more!

Almichie

We acknowledge X-pipes, H-pipes and even straight pipes but what is this witchcraft J-pipe which you refer to?

A J pipe cancels a targeted frquency by adding a tuned length of pipe into the exhaust, normally at or prior to the exit

Robman

I think you need a H pipe.
The sound is good for me with a H-Pipe (i heared the video from Contigo), but I don`t think that solves my problem. The stock X with silencer is the quitest part for this car.

Drone? I think your car has a fault.
No, my GranCabrio is ok:
- no faults found
- other GranCabrio (also new) are also effected

I'm with you... 2200-2500 in Sport mode isnt a happy place for my convertible either.

I think the cab is just as loud as the coupe, but I think you just hear it more!

Yes, I think it (meanwhile), too. Maybe we should insulate the car (top compartment, luggage compartment...)
This could be the solution. I will now first try anyway the J-Pipe, because it is fast and easy to make.

Best

Contigo

Sponsor
Took mine out again and in non sport mode at 2-2.5k revs in all gears even at cruising speed with light throttle there is not a whisper from the exhaust in the cabin. I know what exhaust drone is! I love any exhaust noise so I tend to drop the window all the time and drive it in SPORT mode 99% of the time. Even in sport mode there is little cabin noise with windows up.

CatmanV2

Got to say, sensitive or not, there's more noise from my triangles than the exhaust at that engine revs

C

AaronE

ps. for me it's only when in Sport mode (and in Manual, otherwise the exhaust is closed). I imagine that's why Maserati designed it to be closed at those RPMs since it's the resonant frequency of the exhaust.

Robman

Yes, it is especially in Sport Mode / open flaps. But if the car/exhaust is hot, it is (imho) also in Normal Mode / close flaps. Only with many gas, for example you must drive up a mountain (and you will hold the performance). Only at the named RPM range. After some time annoying. But everyone has here a different opinion. With Sport mode it is dramatically more worse, yes, definitely.