New Pirelli P-Zero

Ryandoc

They say that .....

1. An unusually rigid rubber compound transferred directly from Pirelli’s Formula 1 tires gives the P Zero a stiffer bead area for improved steering response.

2. Additional tread pattern grooves and channels that are both deeper and wider deliver a 10-percent improvement in this tire’s ability to flush water out of the contact patch. Reducing the chance of aquaplaning yields safer and more stable wet braking.

3. A greater emphasis on making sure the tire footprint is perfectly flat helps the tread area wear evenly while also improving wet and dry braking. Asked exactly how this was achieved, a Pirelli engineer listed three priorities: the profile used to mold the tread, making sure that belt cords are perfectly oriented at zero degrees, and using a rim width and bead-seat shape that position the tread square with the pavement.

4. Using additional silica in the tread, lighter construction materials, and improved molding techniques have cut rolling resistance by 15 percent.

5. Tread grooves spaced in a random pattern reduce the sound generated as the tire moves through the air and spreads that disruption over a broad range of frequencies, significantly reducing cabin noise.

MrMickS

I'd be interested to know how much better in the wet it is. My experience with them on past cars has always been that they can be a bit hairy once there's water on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FF1078

Mine have always been great in the wet but I dont drive mine much in bad weather, although saying that I dont think P Zero's are that good when you think I only get 5000 miles from a rear set and I dont drive mad!
I would also be interested to see what the new ones are like.
Please keep us informed Ryandoc

Ryandoc

I need to change in next 4-6 weeks on the front so I'll keep you'd posted, not going to be any real life online data worth anything if they only came out in April so going to be almost a toss of the coin.

I can change fronts just this time then probably all 4 together next time.

Ryandoc

I would dare I've ran Michelins the last 8-9 years before getting my GT and this is my first experience of Pirelli

Malcolm H

For what it is worth: I just fitted PZero Rosso N4 all round on The Spyder yesterday, replacing the previous PZeroes. Obviously very happy with them. I did consider the latest Goodyear F1 but they weren't readily available. Found the Michelins to be spectacularly wanting on the Ghibli years ago!

StuartW

I personally wouldn't even consider P Zeros, I have just fitted Contis on the front and the car is transformed.
Tyres are a very personal choice but for me, the old P Zeros were poor in the cold and wet, and also have a short life so I was not impressed and I am looking forward to when it's time to change my rears!

bigbob

Glad I switched to Contis to get away from the P Zero. I still use the Sotto Zero in the winter and they are great but that's another story.

Ryandoc

I have no clue what to do here, 50/50 between new P-Zero's or super sports, can't make my mind up. Never experienced super sports was always pilot sports but I know that the PSS's are an amazing tyre

drewf

Couldn't someone loan him their wheels for a direct on-car test for 30 minutes? Seems to me an easy thing for SM members to organise - a tyre test!!

CatmanV2

Couldn't someone loan him their wheels for a direct on-car test for 30 minutes? Seems to me an easy thing for SM members to organise - a tyre test!!

And the only time people won't be comparing old with new ;)

I'm certainly up for anyone trying my Talon Triangles :)

C

Ryandoc

Yeah but I need to compare new Pirelli against super sports and I have old crappy pirellis on lol. Wasn't his hard choosing my children's names :frusty6:

spkennyuk

Hopefully the new pzeros have improved cold weather handling. They may work great in warmer climates but in this country they are cr*p for 4 months a year regardless of tread depth.

Ryandoc

I'm still undecided what to do, zero's or super sports. Someone make the call for me please

StuartW

Are there any online reviews of the new pzeros? I have had the old ones and wouldn't recommend them to an enemy but that's not to say the new ones are excellent.
That said, there are many people happy with super sports which I did consider but I am very happy with the contis that I went for - I'm probably not helping!

Ryandoc

You actually are, only online reviews for the new p-zero's I could find are by organisations that were invited to the swanky launch a couple months back and no doubt they are limited probably biased reviews given all the free drink and gifts they'll have had.

I have same feelings with my current p-zero's as you, would like to stay with them being the official tyre but I'll **** myself right off if I got them and they are rubbish.

I think super sports might be the way to go

Mr.Cambio

I still believe, for those who were disappointed by p zeros, maybe try p zero rosso. Older tyre, but it sticks better and last longer than p zero.