Insurance for under 18 with full licence

spkennyuk

The good news is my youngest lad passed his test today.
The bad news is its proving to be difficult to find anybody to insure him on a corsa 1.0 53 plate without fitting a black box.
Postcode area is fine it just goes against the grain to fit a black box.

Any suggestions from the forum members of insurance companies to try would be appreciated. He turns 18 in a few months.

conaero

Forum Owner
Buy a new small car from Peugeot with comes with the first years free insurance?

Ok you will have to sell your Corsa and make monthly payments but I bet it works out cheaper plus you have the safety net of manufacturers warranty.

Moz1000

Hi Stuart
We have Admiral Multicar and live in Poole. My daughter was added to this policy with an old Clio when she was 17 and it added 800 to the premium, but no black box. This was 3 years ago.
You could try them, but I don't know what their policy is now.
Thing to do is spend time with them on the phone, playing with named drivers, trying fully comp and TPFT (FC can be cheaper!), playing with the annual mileage and the value of the car, and bumping the excesses up as far as possible (let's face it, she'll never claim!).
Dave

drewf

Not many places will take young inexperienced drivers nowadays without a black box.

My daughter had a policy with InGenie for the first year, with a black box. Still cost a fortune, but without a box it was going to be considerably more than the car cost! Second year and on, she's now on the Admiral multicar policy, without a black box. Personally, I'd just accept that for the first year there's good reason to fit a black box - they provided monthly feedback and recommendations on how the vehicle was being driven, with additional discounts available for smooth driving within the speed limits.

beau

Tried with my cousin, no where does it without the boxes these days, its a good thing anyway, less likely to drive like an idiot and crash

redsonnylee

My 18 yr old son passed his test yesterday, for a laugh I checked the cost for him to drive the 3200.. £11500, so it's going to be a nice 1.0 Corsa for him.

SteveM

Similar situation with my son 4 years ago - We have Admiral multi car with my son through their subsidary Bell with the Black box on a 1.2 Corsa. Still annual insurance double the value of the car initilly but at least not 4 times which was the starting point when it came to renewal with the first company he insured with under a provisional licence. I would like to think having the black box encouraged him to drive safely in those initial months. He still has it installed but after 4 years no longer checks its status but I like to think premiums are still lower because he has it fitted.

Wack61

My 18 yr old son passed his test yesterday, so it's going to be a nice 1.0 Corsa for him.

There's your problem, insurers don't like cars they do chav kits for, wheels,spoilers etc because they assume every 18 year old is going to add bits on without telling them, pick something other than a corsa and I bet it's cheaper

2b1ask1

Special case
Got a big problem finding insurance for Alex on an A2 motorcycle at 20 because he is under a year of experience so far. Mostly though he is being hit by the theft of the cars from our address recently.

DPS20K

Get a Seat mii, vw up or a skoda citigo, all much safer than a corsa, insurance companies like them and only £20 car tax. My daughter's first year with Bell, with a black box, was only £800 and her second year came down to £400, both fully comp. Personally I'm quite happy she has a black box fitted, means she drives sensibly. I lost a cousin when she was 18 and crashed going too fast round a bend.

Needamaser

Marmalade are worth a try but they have issues at times with documentation not getting issued when it should especially at renewal time.

FF1078

What's wrong with a black box?
If he's not going to drive like a lunatic I cant see the problem?

MrMickS

My daughter is insured with Aviva with a black box. It doesn't have an impact on the insurance this year but the incentive is that it will make a difference next year.

The app that goes with it appeals to her too. She's actively driving to make her score better on the app, which should mean that she's driving safer than she would without it.

I'm so glad the black boxes weren't around when I was her age ;)

spkennyuk

What's wrong with a black box?
If he's not going to drive like a lunatic I cant see the problem?

The terms and conditions of the black box vary from insurance company to insurance company. Many are limited to 2k miles and many are limited to driving certain time of day. 10pm curfews are common. Its not the black box ive got an issue with as such. Its the clauses that restrict when and where he can drive.

He sometimes has to work unsociable hours so time curfews are a no go. Mileage wise 2k would not cover him driving too and from work.

beau

My cousin is 18, with a fiat Punto sporting 1.4 16v, it's £2400, with black box with 6k miles, no time curfew

spkennyuk

Thanks for all the input. Sorted now with admiral. The final choices in the end were £2500 with a black box and restricted mileage or £3100 with plenty of miles and no time restrictions.

In real terms thats £48 per week for 38 miles per week or
or £59 per week for 133 miles per week. So £1.26 a mile to insure or £0.44 per mile to insure.

I probably should have said at the start of the thread that my eldest lad has a medical condition that has resulted in several emergency trips to hospital or ambulances at work or the house.

Considering the amount of time the my two lads are together then there is every possibility that my eldest has a serious seizure while a passenger in youngest lads car.

Its not a pleasant thought but if that scenario arises i want the youngest lad to be able to drive straight to the hospital quickly and safely without having to worry about a black box which has no idea of who is driving or circumstances that would require a change of driving style in order get urgent medical attention.

The likely result of said scenario with a black box would be an increased insurance premium. Yes i know thats an extreme set of circumstances but its also one i have to consider as similar events have already happened.

hoyin

What is wrong with insuring the car yourself and then having your son as a named driver? That is how my parents did it when I was 18 and it didn't cost much.

Sure you don't build up no claims. But to be honest by the time I got my first car I was a lot older and no claims didn't really have much of an impact on the yearly premiums.