GT buying guide on PH

hoyin

Actually Maserati recalled mine to check the variators. I was told everything was fine.

They actually called me and said we want to pickup your car test it and return it to you on the same day ...

bigbob

A few errors on wheel size etc but the main error is that it makes no mention of the GTS Auto.

I was reading this on a phone so may have missed it but a big mistake if true as most GranTurismos sold pre the Sport were the GTS Auto.

Ryandoc

So I'm in the pub yes lazy not researching his before asking but my GTS is a 2009 will it have been at risk from the variator issue ?

It had the full extended 5 year Maserati warranty before I got it so you'd assume / hope it was sorted?

StuartW

2009 is on the cusp, you need to check the engine number to see if the modified component was fitted on your car. The warranty would only have had the variators fixed if there was an issue showing up, it was not a recall

hoyin

2009 is on the cusp, you need to check the engine number to see if the modified component was fitted on your car. The warranty would only have had the variators fixed if there was an issue showing up, it was not a recall

Interesting. Mine is a 2012 but they still called it in for a check.

montravia

Well, that's put the wind up me. Just put a deposit on a 57 Gtourismo with 28k on tbe clock, and the engine number is below the one quoted above. It was serviced at HR Owen, but I've no idea if it's variator was checked/modified.

I've done a search here on 'variator' but there are so many threads that mention it. If someone could point me at a decent thread itd be good.

If it wasn't a recall would it have been checked during it's service regime, or is it a matter of taking it to a main dealer, having it checked, and do Maserati fix it or is it my liability.

Any help chaps would be good.

Thanks

Robin

CatmanV2

You need to get an invoice showing it's been done. Otherwise they need to take a chunk off to see if the caps have been machined. By which time you may as well get the work done :(

Or just leave 4k in your war chest....

C

bigbob

Before you run off screaming has anyone actually gone away and researched how prevalent this is? Forums have a tendency to overstate problems that occur on vehicles but we should know better. Why the collective hysteria?

Contigo

Sponsor
I am informed that there has never been an instance of them causing an engine failure or other catastrophic issue.

StuartW

I wouldn't call it hysteria Bob, it's merely pointing out a known issue which all GT & QP owners should be aware as it is an expensive fix. It's true, it's not like an end float on a 3200 which will eat the block from inside, but nonetheless, it is an issue which Maserati did eventually address and rectify.
I was grateful to this forum for highlighting the issue before I bought mine and I made sure it had been done already. I passed up another car on which the issue had not come to light and sure enough, a year later (after the warranty would have expired had I bought it), that same car had to have the work done.

Be aware, that's all I am saying, in a non-hysteric way of course!

I can only give my experience on a 2007 QP 4.2 Executive GT
Before I bought it there was a knocking sound from the front of the engine block from start and as gears changed (auto box)
This happened at around 45 - 47000 miles.
It was diagnosed as Variator and needed to be replaced. JCT600 Leeds who confirmed the Variator problem, they collected the car, allegedly sent bits away to Italy for replacement and while in the bowels of the engine a couple of hoses were renewed.
The Variator was replaced and all put back together again. The job took about a week (including waiting for Italy) and the car was delivered back to the owner for a total cost of about £4000.
JCT have said it is a common issue on all similar cars up to around 2009 depending on engine number which had to be after 148697.
This QP engine number is 116266.
Not sure if this is the same story for a GT

Ryandoc

Thanks Stuart, think I might drop a quick email to JCT Leeds see if they can check if it's been done or not

Yes JCT will be able to check and get back to you. It may take a day or so because they have different data bases to trawl through to find out.
I speak from experience of tie rod replacement some years ago

Ryandoc

The car was in at JCT this week for a service so I'll follow up with an email see what they say

montravia

JCT have said it is a common issue on all similar cars up to around 2009 depending on engine number which had to be after 148697.
This QP engine number is 116266.
Not sure if this is the same story for a GT

Also Dave said:-
"ENGINE number needs to be higher than 148697 to avoid Variator issues (on a QP at least)
Mine is a 2007 QP and had the variators changed out at about 45000 miles which seems pretty consistent with other posters on here

Completely confused wrt engine number. "common issue on all similar cars up to around 2009 depending on engine number which had to be after 148697"

I presume that the QP and GT share the same engine number series: mine's 126324. So am I at risk?

Robin

CatmanV2

Also Dave said:-
"ENGINE number needs to be higher than 148697 to avoid Variator issues (on a QP at least)
Mine is a 2007 QP and had the variators changed out at about 45000 miles which seems pretty consistent with other posters on here

Completely confused wrt engine number. "common issue on all similar cars up to around 2009 depending on engine number which had to be after 148697"

I presume that the QP and GT share the same engine number series: mine's 126324. So am I at risk?

Robin

Yes. Engine numbers lower than 148697 are at risk

Mine's 126028

C