Considering a Maserati - 3200, 4200 or Gransport

Andyk

A big warm welcome and I see you have had lots of great advice already. You can get a GS of under 30k with under 50k on the clock and to be honest I wouldn't worry about miles and what is more important is history and condition more than miles. As with all cars they will be miles sensitive but if you buy a GS for 26/28k I really do not think you will lose money. EVO said the GS was the car the 4200 should always have been and a true 911 rival at the time which the 4200 never was so you should drive both and we what you think.

I would also no dismiss a manual 4200 as currently they are cheaper than the CC but I do not think that will always be the case. Have already seem a few manual prices start to push closer to CC so this could possibly be a good bet for the future as people want that more engaging drive. Porsche and Aston Martin realise this on there top models and have started to offer manual again so we no reason why the 4200 manual will not be more desirable with time. Again best way for you to find out which suits your needs is to get out there and test drive a few. Dicky Grace is always a good place to start and you will get a cracking car from him.

highlander

Welcome along, and enjoy the search!
If I was picking between a late 42 and a GS for driving pleasure then it is a no brainier as far as I'm concerned, a late 42 will perform as well as a GS for maximum 2/3rds the outlay. Like Andy, I would not rule out the manual box either, those that have them swear by them and they are rare so will IMO become more desirable as time goes by. Out of the "3 sister" the 42 is the undervalued one at the moment. A good 32 will be priced at the top of 42 pricing or above and a good GS about 10k above the 42, again like Andy, I don't think this can last, the 42 is too good a car to stay so undervalued. Your Porsche gives you turbo thrills and kicks so you are probably right to discount a 32, even though they are different animals to their two younger sisters and definently more "feral" than your Porsche.
Unlike some on here, I don't however see any of these cars achieving value rises similar to Ferrari, if you get a good one of any of them and take care of it I doubt you will lose money though if that is an important factor for you.

beau

If you can afford it I'd get a Granturismo, having owned a 3200, 4200 then a Granturismo I much much prefer the granturismo, and I feel it handles better than the other 2, well it certainly feels far more stable anyway, I'd go for a good test drive in each personally, it's the only way for you to have your own say, after all you're going to be the owner, not us :)

m1980k

Get out and see some cars in the metal and sit in them. That's a big part of their appeal. Photos often don't do them justice. And different models look better in different colours.

For me, it has to be the GranSport. But I'm a fan of cars like the Integrale and 288 GTO - I like 'enhanced', aggressive bodywork. I also prefer the sportier interior with the carbon fibre.

DaveT

Not had a 3200 but like some others on here I've had 2 x 4200's, two Gransports and a Granturismo S.

Manual v CC - CC for me. Had a 4200 facelift manual which I liked (had CC before and after) but definitely found the CC easier to live with. If you are not doing much mileage in her (as you may not be) then less of an issue.

4200 v Gransport - 4200, especially facelift is a great car but I think the GS is worth every penny and I've come back to one out of the Granturismo which is a great car, but for me - not as raw and sporty an experience as the GS. Not the same sense of occasion, even though it looks great.

Don't see any of them making your fortune for you though.

Whatever you do, a chat with Dicky or Nareman is a great starting point.

Good luck.

Andyk

I certainly wouldn't dismiss Dickys blue Gransport. Yes the interior may not be for everyone but it will be a great car and a decent price.

beau

I certainly wouldn't dismiss Dickys blue Gransport. Yes the interior may not be for everyone but it will be a great car and a decent price.

That does look a great buy, i expect that will sell quickly

DaveT

I'd get in there quickly as he's had it a couple of weeks and would be surprised if there wasn't already some serious interest.

urquattrogus

Hunt out an Asetto Corsa and you may have a hidden gem.

They are late build 2001 Cars and have improved steering and sharper handling.

There hasn't been one for sale for a while now though.

Feels special to me (yes I'm biased) and less obvious than the gransport as a choice, yet at less money at the moment.

Arguably the last true Maserati engine, boomerangs, more leather and less plastic....

allandwf

Mine was the last for sale I believe and I bought it back! I think finding one may be the hard bit, there are around three or four for sale in Europe at the moment but at GS prices.

Thanks for all the great advice. I need to make a call to Dicky and go see some examples and try out 4200 & Gran Sport.
The blue one he has doesn't have the best interior. I prefer the light coloured (crema?) interior with blue.

Ianed0

I assume by your profile your based in Cheshire, Were about may I ask, I could pop along with my GS if you like

spkennyuk

I assume by your profile your based in Cheshire, Were about may I ask, I could pop along with my GS if you like

If you can tie that in with a date that suits me and cheshire then we can get a 4200 facelift and a GS side by side for cheshire to look at. Maybe lymm services or somewhere round there depending on where is close for cheshire.

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
If Chesire comes along to Oulton on Monday he can see a decent selection of Maseratis finest.

I normally attend Oulton Park with the Porsche crowd. This year I am currently in the US West Coast at this time so I won't be there.

I will reach out to Dicky once I get back and go over to see him.
I have a couple of offers from forum members to see a 4200 facelift and Gran Sport and will follow through with them by PM.

Thanks for a lovely welcome and all the advice. Keep it coming please.

I won't rush into purchase. First home in on the car (4200 v GS), then spec if I can get it. The blue example at Dickys looks nice but the interior turns me off. So respecting that choice of stock is limited, I'll have to be realistic in terms of making son compromises somewhere to avoid seeking the ideal car that may not cone for sale for a long time.

Ianed0

If you can tie that in with a date that suits me and cheshire then we can get a 4200 facelift and a GS side by side for cheshire to look at. Maybe lymm services or somewhere round there depending on where is close for cheshire.

No problem there, always look for excuses to get and drive

Corranga

I wonder if the 4200 will ever catch up in value with the 3200GT and the GS. It's such a strange thing, especially given the similarities with the face lift 4200.

I think people should look at it differently, so am going to start trying to spread the word ;)
Reviews say the GS is what the 4200 should have been - but the face lift 4200 is virtually identical from a driving perspective. Same suspension, same ant-roll bars, same engine.
Sure, it sits higher, but it also sits on adjustable dampers. Mine is currently in to be lowered and set up as a GS.
It's 10hp down - probably something a more free flowing exhaust would solve, and it looks different - nicer (imo) interior, smaller wheels and a no surfboards.

I bought my face lift earlier this year, it was cheap as it's a higher mileage car, but comparing to that blue GS Richard Grace has...
Same year.
20k more miles.
Service history etc.
Very, very close to half the price.
Plus, being a manual face lift 4200, I have one of the last Maserati's with a manual box! (although I appreciate, it's not the best feeling manual in the world..)

(It was a private sale, and I'm sure isn't to the standard of the Richard Grace car, but even still..)

As for investment potential, if a like for like GS is £6-10k over a 4200 at the moment, do we really see that gap being retained?
Personally, I'd see the 4200 catching up, surely demand pushes the price up and it goes like this:
The 3200 and GS go up as the early one / last Maserati engined one, and the sport desirable one.
The gap increases to a point that more people either can't afford one, or look for alternatives. This switches demand over to the 4200 which then starts to catch up.

So... my manual 4200 would stand out as the least desirable variant for now, but may well be the best investment, and, from my perspective, has got me very, very close the a GS for a substantial fraction of the cost (high mileage aside..)

Chris

Rwc13

I think that proposition makes sense and could be how values evolve over time. Of course it may also help if people didn't keep on shouting down the value of 4200s every time somebody puts one up for sale at a value closer to GSs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk