Help! Gearbox ECU

Ian3200

Hi All,

I have a problem which may be caused by the gearbox ECU, so I'd like to borrow one, so that we can diagnose whether it is the ECU or not causing the problem. I'm willing to pay rental ;o) but just wanted to save myself the circa £200 buying one without knowing if it's that causing my problem.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It needs to be for a 2001 car, an auto made after Oct 2000...

conaero

Forum Owner
The 3200 has a gearbox ECU, that's a new one on me?

If you run it down to Mike Roberts I am sure he will oblige.

Swedish Paul

Does the CC gearbox have one too? Reason I ask, this new ODB software I bought gives two options on startup, Engine or Gearbox ECU.

CatmanV2

Does the CC gearbox have one too? Reason I ask, this new ODB software I bought gives two options on startup, Engine or Gearbox ECU.

Very much so it has an ECU. Much more complex. I wouldn't expect your OBD software to get anything from it, though

C

conaero

Forum Owner
Must confess I have zero tech of auto boxes and how they work.

Maybe one day I'll get to work on them.

CatmanV2

Must confess I have zero tech of auto boxes and how they work.

Maybe one day I'll get to work on them.

I have some technical manuals for the 6HP that is installed in the GT if you're interested. You can see how complex the ECU's are becoming.

C

Ian3200

The 3200 has a gearbox ECU, that's a new one on me?

If you run it down to Mike Roberts I am sure he will oblige.

HaHa! that's who is looking at the car for me... neither of us want to buy one only to find out it's not the problem ;o) everyone look under your bench/desk/bed... I reckon there must be one out there... and yes, is has a 'slush' box.... as I've said above... needed to check I'd said so, and sure enough I did... come on people... ;o)

alfatwo

HaHa! that's who is looking at the car for me... neither of us want to buy one only to find out it's not the problem ;o) everyone look under your bench/desk/bed... I reckon there must be one out there... and yes, is has a 'slush' box.... as I've said above... needed to check I'd said so, and sure enough I did... come on people... ;o)

The old Australian BTR rock crusher, they never give any problems though.. it may well be the ECU if your having problems with sport mode

Dave

highlander

Can I ask what the problem signs are? Not that I can help being technically inept but interested for future reference.

Ian3200

Mike knows more specifically, but regular repeatable CEL on caused by a speed signal being sent of an unacceptable value from the gearbox to the ABS ECU as I understand it... ABS ECU, which is the flakiest, changed to no avail... so it's either the gearbox ECU or the wiring in between... the gearbox ECU is easy to change, so quick to cancel out if I had one to borrow! It may also be the cause of other errors I get with RCY and ABS lights coming on and stopping the gearbox from working by putting it in 3rd and keeping it there....