Starter motor - click

CatmanV2

Air leaks are going to make it hard to start. Is that jubilee before or after the actual sensor bit?

I think the 3200s have a reputation of leaking around those plenum gaskets, don't they?

C

Contigo

Sponsor
That throttle body one needs two jubilee clip done near TB and one where it goes into the single piece. Make sure it is super tight otherwise it will whoosh and run low boost plus cause starting issues.

NickP

Ok that part is on order, will update once I've got that. Any ideas on the missing pipe at the back right hand side of the plenum?

I only have 3 :-(

NickP

The four small pipes at the back of the plenum, two go to the pop off unit. I seem to have one missing but I seem to recall that one is just a breather and didnt go anywhere anyway,

RSM Masser

There is also a short on under the plenum, difficult to get at easy to forget
Phil is right about the 'spare' under the TB, that had me perplexed for ages.

Incidentally where did you get the starter, I need a new one as well

NickP

Ok so I am struggling to get the car to start.... Turns over ok I have replaced the TB clip that was loose but I still have a missing pipe at REAR of the plenum, its the bottom right hand pipe thats not there see photos below, if anyone knows where i might find that pipe without having to take the plenum back off then I will happily buy a beer!

IMG_0974.jpg

IMG_0972.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0973.jpg
    IMG_0973.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 15

NickP

ok found that its the pop off valve connection, if this was off would it make starting hard?

Almichie

No, it should start ugh or without that connected - the 3200's don't have air flow meters so it knows no different. Mine struggles to start if the battery is low, is yours charged? Have you reconnected the throttle body and inlet temp sensor electrically? Easily missed...

You need three things to start; spark (battery low?), fuel (injector connected?) and air (nothing left in the inlet pipe work?). With all three and correct timing it will start

NickP

So bought a new pipe and fed it over the plenum and it started first go.... So I think on mine at least these are pretty crucial.

RSM Masser

Just ordered the new starter from MAES - found them on internet after searching for the Valeo number 6DRA64, they use the Bosch number 0986016530-93N

https://www.maes-group.co.uk/shop/s...1-6-1-8-2-0-various-88-present-starter-motor/

Very helpful and part is on its way, delivery tomorrow. I had already taken the old one off as they say its an exchange part, but because these are a cheap OEM part used on 100's of cars they don't need the exchange item!

redsonnylee

Just ordered the new starter from MAES - found them on internet after searching for the Valeo number 6DRA64, they use the Bosch number 0986016530-93N

https://www.maes-group.co.uk/shop/s...1-6-1-8-2-0-various-88-present-starter-motor/

Very helpful and part is on its way, delivery tomorrow. I had already taken the old one off as they say its an exchange part, but because these are a cheap OEM part used on 100's of cars they don't need the exchange item!

Wow that is much cheaper than I expected. Can't go wrong with that price.

GeoffCapes

When I lived in Essex, I never bought a new start motor for any of my cars. If one went, we used to take it to a bloke in Rayleigh who would simply take your old one apart and refurbish it.
He used to charge peanuts as (apparently) he was minted and just liked to mess around with bits of cars.
His shop was like something from Steptoe & Son.

Always did a great job though. I think he refurbished the starter for my Alfa 155 for about 24 quid as he repainted it as well!
If not it would have been about 12 quid.

Mott The Hoople

So that's a Bosch part? It looks slightly different around the mounting points to the old Valeo one that I just happen to have sitting in the corner of my living room. I can't even remember why it's there now!
Steve.