GS Larini back boxes

Contigo

Sponsor
Had a poke around, and the larini rear cans are completely empty, with the twin pipes simply stuck through a short distance into the side, that is it, no perforations, no wadding, no baffles, absolutely nothing!
So would be certainly interested if the valved ones are the same....
If so, you have noisey...2 holes for the exhaust gases to escape, if quieter...1 hole for the gases to escape.
Simple as that?!

Isn't that what I said earlier in thread? The valves simply shut off the inside pipes therefore sound escapes from 2 out of 4 pipes. Crude but simple

Fat Arnie

If the valve bodies are not stainless (mine are not) paint them with POR15 before fitting. Mine were close to end of life, and new ones are very hard to find.

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
At a guess looking at the pictures it looks like they are the same box as the unvalved but the solenoid controls the valves on the innermost pipes.

Isn't that what I said earlier in thread? The valves simply shut off the inside pipes therefore sound escapes from 2 out of 4 pipes. Crude but simple

Yes, just trying to change 'At a guess looking at the pictures it looks like' to 'Yes they are...'!

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
If the valve bodies are not stainless (mine are not) paint them with POR15 before fitting. Mine were close to end of life, and new ones are very hard to find.

Surprised at that!
Looking for valves to retrofit, the pipes measure 1-7/8", just less than 48mm outside diameter.
I am assuming they will have fitted 2" (near enough 51mm) valves and used plenty of wire.
Cast stainless steel valves look to be available.
Out of interest, on the GS, are the valves normally open or normally closed, the state with no vacuum applied?

Fat Arnie

Took me ages to track down where the original valves on mine came from and buy some more. They are an Aston part.

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Took me ages to track down where the original valves on mine came from and buy some more. They are an Aston part.

Do you have a part number? and price, eeek Aston prices!
....are these to replace GS OEM valves (not stainless?)....or larini valves? Not sure what you have fitted.

MAF260

IMO the Larini rear boxes are not very sophisticated. My car had the valved rear boxes fitted when I bought it a few years ago, so probably one of the very first produced. I noticed a terrible buzzing sound from the boxes when not in Sport mode, it sounded awful. ADG supplied my car and dealt with the issue directly with Larini - the manufacturer admitted that the early valves/solenoid weren't great and were prepared to try to sort my car. The boxes were removed; Larini cut them open, replaced the valves and re-welded the boxes. Sadly the issue remains and sounds really buzzy and cr@p on the extremely rare times my car is not in Sport mode. Coupled with the boominess apparent at certain revs/speeds, this experience really made me question the quality an alleged R&D of Larini products. I eventually bought the remainder of the system from Larini (via Noor at Torenno) and am very happy with the quality and fit of the sports cats, h-pipe etc. The car is still boomy and I've learned to accept it (or drive faster!). I have a load of lightweight Dynamat to fit to the entire floor at some point to hopefully improve noise levels in the cabin.

spkennyuk

Larini , tubi, quicksilver i think they all drone to some extent. Its just a matter of at what rev range it appears and how much time your cars spend in that rev range. Dropping a cog to get to increase the revs past the drone spot helps. I have works planned to solve the drone on mine which appears at the worst possible rev range.

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
IMO the Larini rear boxes are not very sophisticated. My car had the valved rear boxes fitted when I bought it a few years ago, so probably one of the very first produced. I noticed a terrible buzzing sound from the boxes when not in Sport mode, it sounded awful. ADG supplied my car and dealt with the issue directly with Larini - the manufacturer admitted that the early valves/solenoid weren't great and were prepared to try to sort my car. The boxes were removed; Larini cut them open, replaced the valves and re-welded the boxes. Sadly the issue remains and sounds really buzzy and cr@p on the extremely rare times my car is not in Sport mode. Coupled with the boominess apparent at certain revs/speeds, this experience really made me question the quality an alleged R&D of Larini products. I eventually bought the remainder of the system from Larini (via Noor at Torenno) and am very happy with the quality and fit of the sports cats, h-pipe etc. The car is still boomy and I've learned to accept it (or drive faster!). I have a load of lightweight Dynamat to fit to the entire floor at some point to hopefully improve noise levels in the cabin.

Don't want any buzziness, that is probably caused by the butterfly stem of the valve rattling in its loose (read that as cheap) bushing at a guess.
Yes like many, I do have a drone at certain low revs, that I live with, either by changing a gear or simply crack opening the window that releases the amplification in the cabin.

safrane

MJ To answer you question re when their is no vacuum (disconnected vacuum pipe) the GS is in loud mode.

Panicracing

Valves are made by helical technology and I would say they are pretty well made. A lot better than the OE on the GS. Easy to find on Google.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Fat Arnie

14374759_1106637712759701_93743818_o.jpg

These are the Helical Tech ones that were on the Larinis on my car. Mild steel. The new ones are the same spec, just without the rust, hence my POR15 comment earlier on this thread.

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
View attachment 40112

These are the Helical Tech ones that were on the Larinis on my car. Mild steel. The new ones are the same spec, just without the rust, hence my POR15 comment earlier on this thread.

Where did you buy your replacements Arne? are they Helical Tech as original and still mild steel?
I phoned Helical Tech yesterday and they said they would ring me back, which they have not as yet, so I also pinged them an email too.

safrane

Was your GS parked on the sea front Arnie?

Looked at mine and they have no sign of rust.

Fat Arnie

Mike,

I had a work appt nr Lytham where they are.

They are a difficult company to work with - they are not geared up for the consumer. I had to get an order raised, pay by bank transfer and go to Lytham to collect. Cost IIRC was £55 ea + VAT

The man who can help is:

Andrew Gravner
Actuator Engineering Manager & Technical Sales
T: +44 (0)1253 530240 (Desk)
M: +44 07720 640059 (Mobile)
E: andy.gravner@helical-technology.co.uk

Peter,

Loz lives in Milton Keynes, so not really near the beach. He fitted the Larinis, so the rust on those actuators must have come since then. It also lived in Glasgow for a year between his and my ownership. Perhaps it was exposed to lots of road slat up there.

Worryingly, that was not the worst corrosion on my car. Fortunately its all on removable/replaceable bits so soon it will be like new again.

Panicracing

These are stainless steel as checked with magnet

7bb0dcb0f89c615cc9f2cc08cb7ed8be.jpg

FIFTY

Have you fitted them yet? I am quite tempted to order a set of the valved back boxes in the new year

Panicracing

Not yet. Just finishing some jobs on the front end then onto the back. Will update when fitted.