Wishbone Wednesday

midlifecrisis

Supercar performance do kits for the whole car but I'd ask your mechanic to tell you which bushes are bad, Upper or lower, balljoint or tie rod end. You can find out what to order on their website, Upper and lower may be the same part, I can't remember.

OGAJOE

Thanks my car is 105 000 miles (and in virgin condition) , maybe I could change them all...

Zep

I can confirm it is a lot of work to change them all. Pressing the bush out is not simple as you will need to remove the lip from the old bush before you can use a (big) press to push them out.

Front upper is 186493

Front lower is 186494

Rear upper is 186496

Rear lower is 186494

This is for a 4200 from assembly 7732. 3200s share some parts, but not all of them so check carefully!

OGAJOE

So finally it is not about wishbone bushes but differential support... Which is crazily expensive, can't find any rear diff support less than 1210€ !
+ 3x side supports...

Zep

Err. What part numbers are you talking about? Are you sure of your diagnosis?

OGAJOE

Err. What part numbers are you talking about? Are you sure of your diagnosis?

Part No. 386200169
Part No. 386200165
Part No. 97771

Since few months there is a noisec "clong" each time clutch is engaged or on heavy throttle.
Mecanics is affirmative, these pieces are loose and needs replacement

Sounds like an early Xmas gift budget is about to be spent !

Zep

Ah, I thought you had a 4200. You could always try and get a low mileage used one from the usual sources...

Fat Arnie

To overcome the issue of the flange preventing use of a hydraulic press, use a bush removal kit. About £100 on ebay. I've taken all mine out and will be replacing them with Eracetal bushes of my own design. Cost me £400 to have the full set made.

Zep

To overcome the issue of the flange preventing use of a hydraulic press, use a bush removal kit. About £100 on ebay. I've taken all mine out and will be replacing them with Ertacetal bushes of my own design. Cost me £400 to have the full set made.

I congratulate you, my local Ferrari garage broke their specific removal tool trying to get my bushes out before I removed them using a press and modifying the bush flange. If you did it with a threaded tool mine must have been particularly tight.

I'll be interested in your results with a poly bush, the flan block design means a lubricated (at least at first) spindle around which the arm rotates. I imagine rubber in shear might introduce some stiction into the arm movement and make suspension set up a little tricky.

Fat Arnie

Zep,

My design is not poly bushes which are soft but using Eracetal is a harder plastic designed for high load bearings. It gets used a lot by the Elise/Exige community who have done all the donkey work of identifying the best grade. Once mounted the wishbone will have totally free movement with none of the rubber shear binding issues you get with a metalastic or Flanblock. I got mine out but I confess, I did leave the wishbones stacked in large plastic container with the bush ends all dipped in a couple of litres of paraffin in the bottom, to provide some lubrication. And I am not saying they were not tight!

Zep

I read about it in the Exige/Elise & VX220 scene. Will you still have the washers at either end of the bush and will the plastic rotating around the fixed inner section? Given that there is less then 5mm of rubber in the flan block and some compliance is necessary, I always considered this a solution looking for a problem, but the saving of £ is certainly worthwhile.

Are you not concerned about the extra 800kg of Maserati over the Elise/Exige application?