Question of the day

JonW

I think it might be more... my guess would be 52,000, with 30,000 being fighters (a lot of bombers were also lost)

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
Stab away Gentlemen, I'll reveal all in the morning if no one gets it. One decent shout so far.

spkennyuk

Im sure the split between fighter and other aircraft lost was about 2/3rds the total being fighters and 1/3 being other aircraft as Andy has said. I had an idea it was well over 40000.

On the basis that Andy has snagged 42k and 45k im going to guess in the middle at 43500 aircraft lost in total. The split being roughly 29500 fighters and 14000 other aircraft.

RSM Masser

Not this time boys; how many aircraft, to the nearest 1000, did the British Empire lose during WW2? And how many were fighters?

Hopefully we didn't 'lose' any - shot down maybe, lost I hope not, if any were misplaced they could normally be found outside a nice hotel.
Sadly I couldn't resist google first so I wont spoil it - I was amazed at the answer

midlifecrisis

I think Zag is close, I'm sure I read it was about 40,000 when they did a bit on WW2 before Armistice day. I'm guessing most were fighters because of the Battle of Britain, and when we were bombing Europe, we had the Yanks to do that.
So I'll go with 35,000
You've watched too many Hollywood films, the RAF bombed mainly during the night and the yanks during the day. Not heard of the 1000 bomber raid, Dresden or the dambuster raids? I know you live in Kent but Lincolnshire, Norfolk and Suffolk was bomber country.

GeoffCapes

You've watched too many Hollywood films, the RAF bombed mainly during the night and the yanks during the day. Not heard of the 1000 bomber raid, Dresden or the dambuster raids? I know you live in Kent but Lincolnshire, Norfolk and Suffolk was bomber country.

I kinda knew that. The yanks losses were huge as the bombed by day, whereas us 'smart' Brits bombed by night.
Losses were enevitably lower.

zagatoes30

Sorry busy day

OK what have the following got in common

Sir Christopher Wren
Samuel Peeps
Sir Isaac Newton
The Marquess of Northampton
The Lord Rayleigh
Patrick Blackett

midlifecrisis

Thank you Andy,

Leading on from your question, what connects the President of the Royal Society and a 'Brown Dog'. A one word answer would suffice, but an essay of no shorter that 1000 words would also be accepted.

spkennyuk

Thank you Andy,

Leading on from your question, what connects the President of the Royal Society and a 'Brown Dog'. A one word answer would suffice, but an essay of no shorter that 1000 words would also be accepted.

Ive no idea really Martin but is it something to do with the brown dog statue.

zagatoes30

I have no idea either although there was a Brown Dog scandal back in the early 1900s to do with Vivisection (is that how it's spelt - looks wrong) but no idea if that had anything to do with the Royal Society

spkennyuk

I have no idea either although there was a Brown Dog scandal back in the early 1900s to do with Vivisection (is that how it's spelt - looks wrong) but no idea if that had anything to do with the Royal Society

Thats my line of thought Andy. The brown dog statue was was a memorial to the dog that was operated on whilst still conscious in a public medical display. I have no idea on a connection between that and the current president of the Royal society.