flat battery?

JonW

Hi all,

For some reason my GTS won't start this evening, despite it starting earlier fthis afternoon.

When I turn the key, it clicks, but the engine doesn't fire, and it's as though the battery doesn't have enough power. It also has flashed up with various warnings, and the clock and sat nav has reset...

I'm figuring this is a flat battery, due to a week of short journeys and the cold weather...

Does that sound sensible?

Annoyingly the car is not in the garage, so not all that easy to connect my trickle charger to it. Suspect I may need to buy a booster battery....

allandwf

It does sound like the battery, or a poor connection, check them first. Has it been extra cold? That will highlight any battery issue.

Wack61

if it started this morning it may have a dead cell, how old is it , i'd take it off and get it tested before spending any money, and whatever you do don't jump start it from another car

conaero

Forum Owner
Mine did the same on Wednesday. Started it no problem and idle for 5 mins then tried it again half an hour later and dead as a donut.

It's been in the garage unused for ages.

Apparently it takes something like half an hours driving to replace the charge of you starting it.

The cold weather doesn't help.

JonW

Apparently it takes something like half an hours driving to replace the charge of you starting it.

The cold weather doesn't help.

If this is true, I need to get into the habit of trickle charging overnight. My car is my daily driver, and most days all it does is 15 mins down to station and 15 mins back....

conaero

Forum Owner
If this is true, I need to get into the habit of trickle charging overnight. My car is my daily driver, and most days all it does is 15 mins down to station and 15 mins back....

Put it in trickle overnight once a week will probably be enough.

iainw

Put it in trickle overnight once a week will probably be enough.

I have used mine 2-3 times a week and never had a problem - but now is in the garage probably for most of the winter.

Is it easy to plug in a trickle charger myself or should I get a charging point professionally fitted in a garage?

conaero

Forum Owner
Yes it is. You can hard wire the terminal leads to the battery and leave them in place, then there is a simple plug half way down the leads to plug/unplug.

IMG_4420.JPG

JonW

Is the CTEK charger better than the Maserati branded ones?

I've just hard wired my trickle charger using the little round connectors, and through use of several extension leads the car is now plugged in overnight...

Have had the alarm go off, and all sorts of fun and games...

spkennyuk

The branded Maserati one is a CTEK. You just pay more money for the Masersti or Ferrari ones for exactly the same model you get from Ctek.

safrane

I read this on the internet as well - why is this?

There are dyoids in the wiring harness that can be damaged and unfortunately they are not placed in a marked location so replacement is hard and costs £££.

philw696

If any of you still have a tracker on the car get it taken off.
Not had a flat battery in over a year now since I removed mine.
My car lives outside and not used everyday too.

JonW

Have bought a new Bosch battery now and will fit tomorrow. Also went for a decent drive this afternoon to see if I can get some juice back into the old one.

How can I tell if I have a tracker installed? Isn't there something about beebs when the car starts?

JonW

Have bought a new Bosch battery now and will fit tomorrow. Also went for a decent drive this afternoon to see if I can get some juice back into the old one.

How can I tell if I have a tracker installed? Isn't there something about beebs when the car starts?

Just realised it was a stupid question - I know I do as it's in the paperwork and I have the fobs...

RobinL

Yes it is. You can hard wire the terminal leads to the battery and leave them in place, then there is a simple plug half way down the leads to plug/unplug.

View attachment 40551
CTEK is the one to go for. Used on my Bentley which have to be the worst for batteries. Bentley's come with a charger and advise charging if you plan to leave more than a couple of days. So by comparison Maserati seem quite tolerant :)

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

drewf

Just had to rescue mine, having parked it up a few days ago intending to use later that day, but didn't, nor did I pop back into the barn to put the charger on. A few very cold days, and the (not very old) Bosch battery was dead. The charger wouldn't even touch it, as the voltage was too low. I paired it up with a fully charged spare battery via jump leads, and charged the pair of them, since the charger could see sufficient volts there to fire up. Seems to have done the trick... :)

Time will tell - hopefully there isn't a duff cell. It's still inside the warranty period though, I imagine.

Wack61

I read this on the internet as well - why is this?

it's something to do with the alternator on the (usually) running car causing voltage spikes which can cause diodes to blow as Peter already said

a new battery at this time of year is never a bad thing though