Rosberg Retires

iainw

There is a lot of sense in what you say. He will know deep down that Lewis is faster and he was lucky this year to get what he got. Also, though, I think Merc have peaked. The new aero next year makes me put my money on Red Bull.

Agreed Bob - Could be very exciting for Red Bull - Fantastic Drivers and as you suggest - the best techs out there.

iainw

I think "Well done, Nico!" Not many people are brave enough to make the call for their family over a glitter career. His wife and daughter are his world, and he wants it revolving around them. Yes, I do think Lewis is the better driver, but Nico did well and is a World Champion. I hope he goes to something where his technical excellence can really be used. You can't take the racer out of his heart.
As for his seat... exciting times for someone! I'd love JB to go for it thinking he's back in with a chance!

Agreed in an ideal world... Just hope the family bliss lasts. There is no climbing back into that seat at 40 and thinking what could have been

Needamaser

I don't think he was "lucky" to win this year.
He could have won a championship before if "luck" had gone his way.
For a big chunk of this season he out qualified Hamilton and out performed him in the race. That wasn't luck.
He won 9 races. That wasn't luck.
Perhaps his mind set when he realised he was in with a real chance of winning meant he backed off slightly and played the percentages and was why Hamilton was stronger again at the end. Especially if he had thought about going out at the top.
The two of them at the top of their game and I wouldn't have thought there was a cigarette paper between them.
Good luck to him. If he wasn't 100% committed for another year and you achieve your life ambition then fair play to him.

TridentTested

Bravo Nico. A great decision. Go out on a high.

As Damon Hill has put it today: there is more to life than driving around in circles. As Nico has a young family I can readily see how his priorities might have changed of late. He certainly doesn't want for money. He has regrets not going to university, maybe he'll out this to right.

There so much more to life.

I hope Jenson has Toto's phone number.

Doohickey

Velociraptor
I don't think that Verstappen will move. Red Bull have made massive strides next year and are kings of the aero package which will be even more important next year. Werhlein seems to be the best bet - young and fast and part of the Mercedes young driver scheme.

FIFTY

My other half called it a day after he won the championship... wish she would predict some winning lotto numbers

**** poor show of you ask me, not willing to defend your championship after a year with some questionable overtakes/defending maneuvers from Rosberg.

Then again it could not be easy for him, this really does confirm that Lewis broke him in the end.

I'm not a MB fan boy (granted I religiously follow hamilton) but they will still be the team to beat next year, perhaps less dominant but the regulation change will not undo the advantages they have with their combined engine and chassis package. Red Bull has lost their works status with their engine manufacturer so they are behind Renault F1 team in these developments.

Ferrari is the team with the potential resources like MB to marry up their engine with the chassis in the most efficient way but they don't seem to have the brain power and when they look like they are going to get ahead they fall over themselves. I have said this for a while but perhaps ferrari is in trouble because the Italian economy is not doing too great? Having money pour in from other markets is one thing but the massive brain drain and the likelihood of various suppliers being in trouble cannot be good for them in the long run.

zagatoes30

Where we live there are quite a few F1 employees and this was the consensus of opinion some weeks ago, so no real surprise here.

The other rumour is that an ex World Champion is favourite for the seat assuming he can clear his contractual obligations.

D Walker

Where we live there are quite a few F1 employees and this was the consensus of opinion some weeks ago, so no real surprise here.

The other rumour is that an ex World Champion is favourite for the seat assuming he can clear his contractual obligations.

JB - No way!!

alfatwo

My other half called it a day after he won the championship... wish she would predict some winning lotto numbers

**** poor show of you ask me, not willing to defend your championship after a year with some questionable overtakes/defending maneuvers from Rosberg.

Then again it could not be easy for him, this really does confirm that Lewis broke him in the end.

I'm not a MB fan boy (granted I religiously follow hamilton) but they will still be the team to beat next year, perhaps less dominant but the regulation change will not undo the advantages they have with their combined engine and chassis package. Red Bull has lost their works status with their engine manufacturer so they are behind Renault F1 team in these developments.

Ferrari is the team with the potential resources like MB to marry up their engine with the chassis in the most efficient way but they don't seem to have the brain power and when they look like they are going to get ahead they fall over themselves. I have said this for a while but perhaps ferrari is in trouble because the Italian economy is not doing too great? Having money pour in from other markets is one thing but the massive brain drain and the likelihood of various suppliers being in trouble cannot be good for them in the long run.

Lets just wait for the Italian referendum results on Sunday, the sh.ts going to hit the fan!

Dave

conaero

Forum Owner
Lets just wait for the Italian referendum results on Sunday, the sh.ts going to hit the fan!

Dave

I had no idea about the turmoil in Italy looks like they are self harming.

Italy next out of Europe, it's not inconceivable from what I have just read.

jasst

Well, I didn't see that one coming, lets face it Rosberg was only about 5th best driver in F1 at the moment, so knew he stood virtually no chance of repeating the feat again, so quitting while on the top, or ducking out of the challenge, we all have our own opinions. He only one it this year because of Hamiltons misfortune, as to his replacement? this is a German team, I think they will want a German driver, Hulkenberg?

FIFTY

Hulkenberg just signed up to Renault. It is more likely they will pull someone from their Mercedes driver program at this stage.

It's a bad time of year to be shopping for drivers I don't expect it but I won't be surprised if Wehrlein takes the seat

MrMickS

Mercedes can have any driver they want. If they take someone who has a contract with another team it will cost them. How much will depend on the driver's contract.

There's no point hanging onto a driver that doesn't want to be there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zagatoes30

Mercedes will want to win the constructors championship again which means both drivers need to score points, that will shut out all the new hopefuls coming from other minor teams or lower formulas. That means they will be looking for a proven points scorer.

Both red BUll drivers have long contracts and as they now seem to have a car that is ready to race it is unlikely they will release either from their contracts regardless of how much Mercedes offer.

Alsono & Vettel both have relatively short contracts, both can be moody and can make it really difficult for their teams if they try to block them leaving but both drivers have proven problems with Hamilton which will this years public fallouts look like a walk in the park.

Tha leaves a group of experienced drivers that Mercedes could influence, Bottas, Hulkenberg, Grosjon etc.

IMO Mercedes will go for winning and they will take Alonso or Vettel and deal with the fireworks later but that is only my opinion and this year has been the year for me getting everything wrong

bigbob

You have identified the right runners and riders as far as I am concerned. Personally I expect Red Bull to challenge for the constructors title next year so I doubt either of their drivers will leave. Alonso or Vettel would be fireworks as you imply. Much of the media is focusing on Bottas, good choice as far as I am concerned.

FIFTY

FerrarI have the BHP but not the aero while Red Bull have the aero but not the BHP

The new rule have not changed much in the engine configuration department I think Mercedes AMG will retain an advantage still but I hope I'm wrong.

outrun

It will be Bottas. Williams will sell his contract out and it will be much cheaper than Vettel. The other left field choice could be Paul Di Resta. Quick driver, already contracted to Mercedes AMG for German touring cars. He's one of the family.