Question of the day

midlifecrisis

Andy has it, the answer is vivisection.
The president could sanction and perform it in the name of science according to the cruelty to animals act, 1876. The brown dog connection is indeed the statue erected by anti-vivisectionists in 1910. It's amazing to read that there was a lot of contention back in those days and dissimilar groups such as the Swedish feminists infiltrated a medical school to expose it all. The animal liberation front are merely repeating history.

Your question Andy.

zagatoes30

I am going to stop answering questions as I am running out of questions but as I have just bought a road bike here is a related question

When was the longest ever Tour De France (distance not time) and what was the total length?

And no I am not planning to compete ever ;)

midlifecrisis

When you say Road bike, does it have a motor? And if not, why not?
Otherwise please take you lycra fetishism elsewhere.

JonW

I'm okay with a bit of Lycra...

I think the answers here must be in the good old days, when men were men, when shaving your legs was unheard of, and they didn't wear padded shorts to protect their sensitive parts, etc.

So my guess would be 1932, and I reckon the distance would have been about 3,000 miles

Last edited:
What do the following share in common?
Michael Phelps (swimmer), Nicolo Paganini (composer and performer), Abraham Lincoln, Tutankhamun (King of Egypt) and Osama Bin Laden?

JonW

What do the following share in common?
Michael Phelps (swimmer), Nicolo Paganini (composer and performer), Abraham Lincoln, Tutankhamun (King of Egypt) and Osama Bin Laden?

Ooh - I think I know this one! I'm a massive fan, and in awe, or Michael Phelps' achievements, and remember reading this...

Doesn't he have a particular genetic condition that means he has particularly long limbs? As did Abraham Lincoln, and Bin Laden...

Correct, they all share a genetic disorder called Marfan's Syndrome. This is not a disease, but a disorder of connective issue that manifests as long spindly limbs, sleek elongated face and nose, flat feet, overcrowded mouth with teeth, flexible joints and long spindly fingers. For example, Michael Phelps is 6' 4" tall but his arm span is 6' 7"!

Paganini, the virtuoso violinist born Genoa in 1782 had long spindly fingers and the first joint of each finger was double jointed enablung him to bend it with ease to another string in extremely rapid succession. Not surprisingly, the music he composed to show off his dexterity and virtuosity was deemed impossible to play by other virtuossi of the time and people rumoured he had made a pact with the devil to be able to play such challenging music. He could play 3 octaves easily of the violin's 3.5 octave range.

Tutankhamun died young but his remains showed scolios (abnormal curvature of the spine) and other features of Marfan's.

Sergei Rachmaninov the russian composer and pianist also suffered from Marfan's Syndrome that gave him a a huge span of his hands. he could span 11 notes on the piano with each hand - the opening chords of his Piano Concerto #2 in C sharp Minor exploited his span and made it very challenging for other Concert Pianists to play at that time.

Abraham Lincoln had Marfan's. There are others with the condition.

The most serious complications of Marfan's involve the heart and aorta with an increased risk of mitral valve disease and aortic aneurysm. Other commonly affected areas include the lungs, eyes, bones and the covering of the spinal cord. It is an inherited condition.

If you want to see pictures of people with Marfan's:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nationalmarfanfoundation/sets/72157612643340384/

JonW has the answer so his turn to set the question.

zagatoes30

Excellent, not only does forum allow me to share information on one of Italys finest manufacturers it also provides a valuable educational service at the same time.