Wishbone torque

Gp79

I'm in the final stages of putting my rear subframe back together.

Could anyone tell me the torque settings for the wishbone fixings? (The bolts that goes through the flanbloc into the forks) as already advised I'll only torque when the suspension is loaded with weight of the car on.

I have copies of the manuals but can't find that torque.

Cheers Greg

voicey

98 Nm. Mark the position of the nuts relative to the bolt with a little paint so the next person underneath the car can see if they've moved.

Gp79

Great, thanks.

One more! should I grease (a rubber compatible lube) the anti roll bar bushes or leave dry? seems strong arguments on the web either way.

Don't want any squeaks, as you know they're a real pain to dismantle when it's all back on!

voicey

I put red rubber grease on all rubber components I handle - new or old. Keeps them as fresh as possible.

Fat Arnie

98 Nm. Mark the position of the nuts relative to the bolt with a little paint so the next person underneath the car can see if they've moved.

You can't really get a torque wrench on all of them when the subframe is fitted to the car. Esp the upper one nearest the back. Suffice to say 98Nm is flipping tight if using normal length 22mm spanners. You need to load the suspension to ensure the fanblocks are not in sheer at rest.

voicey

Suffice to say 98Nm is flipping tight if using normal length 22mm spanners.

I disagree. A snap on 22mm spanner is over a foot long so you only need to apply about 30 kgs of force to reach 100 Nm.

I use a speed brace on wheel bolts and with it can easily reach the 40 Nm required for the first torque up. It is incredibly easy to over-tighten fasteners!

Fat Arnie

You must go to the gym more than me Voicey! My spanners are only about 200m from nut centre to moment of torque if you put your hand on the shank. I still say you will grunt getting them tight!

My point was though, that with normal tools you will struggle to get a socket on the rear upper bolt.

conaero

Forum Owner
If you tighten your wheels to 98nm then with your 22mm spanner you can get an idea of force required to tighten them.

Or just on another 22mm nut under the car?

Get one of those luggage scales to get an accurate force reading.

luggage-scales-by-design-go-1290-p.jpg

Get one that goes up to 50kg to cover your shorter length, spanner, not you :)

voicey

Undoing and doing up fasteners is a critical part of how I make my living - although I probably obsess about it more than I should!

philw696

Several torque wrenches in today's automotive world is a necessity.
What annoys me are the people that work to the FT theory.

Fat Arnie

The FT theory is not ideal, but having just refitted the rear wishbones to my car, I can confirm you cannot get a socket on the upper rear bolt when the subframe is fitted to the car. It is far more important to clamp the metalastic bush in the correct position, which you cannot do off the car unless you have the jigs used when the subframe was built.

Were you tightening smaller bolts or those on parts with more critical tolerances, I would agree a decent TW is esssential.