MCV suspension re-set

Ewan

Last summer I had the suspension refreshed on the MCV, including new springs all round. Since then it has a sat a little too high, but we wanted to give it time to settle. Having waited the appropriate bedding-in period, I returned the car to Emblem to be re-set.

The factory couldn't provide specific settings for an MCV, so using general GS info we ended up lowering the car until it looked right and was level. They then fitted all new tyres (Michelin Pilot Super Sports, as my preferred Pirellis are not currently available in the right sizes) and re-set the geometry to their own preferred bespoke settings. All is good again. It can now be put away again until Spring arrives properly.

MCV front - lowered.jpg MCV side 2 - lowered.jpg

Ewan

Just Perfection.

Indeed. Why can't Maserati make cars like this anymore?

Currently their cars are like a chain coffee shop. It's the same car in three sizes. Regular (Ghibli), Tall (Levante) and Long (QP). Roll on the GT replacement, and let's hope it's more GS sized.

Mr.Cambio

Lovely car and condition Ewan. I do not believe that the MCV has different setting than the GS, as well as i don"t believe that the 4200 has different springs, brakes etc. In my point of view it's all a matter of marketing.
It would be nice to let us know the difference between the tyres, Pirelli and Michelin.

philw696

That's why I no longer work for Maserati Ewan. Sales and Service only want to sell.
I was told I was a Dinosaur and probably am as I was so excited working on the 4200, QP V and the GT range the new stuff didn't float my boat.
My next move for living and work will involve more Classics which I'm having so much fun with.

Ewan

It would be nice to let us know the difference between the tyres, Pirelli and Michelin.

I'm told that the Michelins will work in the cold/wet. But where's the fun in that? I quite like the fact that Pirellis have "personality" in the wet and are "quirky" in the cold. I wouldn't be on my 17th Maserati if I liked predictable. But anyway, the Italian tyre option wasn't available, so I had to go French.

Andyk

Indeed. Why can't Maserati make cars like this anymore?

Currently their cars are like a chain coffee shop. It's the same car in three sizes. Regular (Ghibli), Tall (Levante) and Long (QP). Roll on the GT replacement, and let's hope it's more GS sized.

We can but dream...one day maybe they will Ewan....

She is looking amazing Ewan....

Gp79

Your MCV looks stunning.

What was the charge for alignment? Do you have a report on the settings used you could share?

Need my GS done this year, spoke to centre of gravity in atherstone, mentioned corner weighting as well as basic alignment but not sure for a road car all of this it is worthwhile??

Mr.Cambio

I'm told that the Michelins will work in the cold/wet. But where's the fun in that? I quite like the fact that Pirellis have "personality" in the wet and are "quirky" in the cold. I wouldn't be on my 17th Maserati if I liked predictable. But anyway, the Italian tyre option wasn't available, so I had to go French.

In a theoretical way, yes. Personally, i never had any trouble with my rossos in wet. Only if they are worn out they can be dangerous, but until this point, i am satisfied. Please drop a line if you have any serious drive in the Michelins. I am quite insterested in hearing some reviews on a Maser.

Ewan

What was the charge for alignment? Do you have a report on the settings used you could share?

The invoice is back in my office. The total bill was £1900 but the alignment bit was probably a couple of hundred or so. I have the read-out so can easily provide the settings.

Apparently the factory changed their recommendation virtually every year for the GS, depending on whether they wanted to boast of a fast track time or, conversely, longer tyre life. Emblem have their own settings which are a sensible compromise for fast road car set up.

Ewan

. I do not believe that the MCV has different setting than the GS, as well as i don"t believe that the 4200 has different springs, brakes etc. In my point of view it's all a matter of marketing.

I'm not sure that the MCV had settings different to a regular GS. But it was interesting to ask the factory to discover that they appeared not to be sure either.

But I can say that the MCV is quite different to drive to a normal GS, let alone a normal 4200. Of course, the different steering rack and seats make the biggest difference to the feel of the car. But also, I understand that although the factory didn't make a play of it, certain engine components are changed in the MCV (according to a Maserati mechanic that has rebuilt one).

adam01

Ewan

Any clues as to what are the differences in engine components? The parts dia.dont distinguish

( I have heard the clutch plate is different, again have tried to trak down but no joy)

Ewan

Sorry - it was a conversation I had a while ago and I can't now recall the details. Plus I'm not particularly mechanically minded!

Team GCR

Ewan I would be interested to know what you now think of the Michelin tyres having driven the car home. Having had both Pirelli and Michelin on my various Gransports I would not shod my MCV with Pirelli.