3200 noisy starter

Lusso916

Any ideas, rough noise when engaging starter, flywheel ring or starter motor gear ? Looks like gear box off anyway.

Almichie

Mine was noises forabout a year before it stopped working. Starter is changed from above, gearbox remove not required

Lusso916

Mine was noises forabout a year before it stopped working. Starter is changed from above, gearbox remove not required

Thanks for that, noise just started, very harsh metallic grind that's why mechanic thinks it could be crown gear on flywheel / steel starter plate (auto)

redsonnylee

I'm on 84,000 and am replacing this now as a preventative measure. Ive heard they just go without warning hence the reason. Will be interested to know if yours is on its way out.

MUC3200GT

they also go out, when coolant is in the V. Typically this can be seen when attempting to watch under the V form the direction of the splashboard, not easy to see but doable. Saves also knock sensors

davy83

Starter motor failure is fairly common, not many on here with high mileage starters. ring gear i have never heard of problems. I would have a look at the starter first the heat in that VEE under the plenum does not do them any good, and as mentioned the water hoses under there perish with the heat and the water leaks take out the starter and the knock sensors. removal of the plenum is not uncommon and most people when in there replace the hoses for silicon high temp ones, replace the starter with another brand (i used Bosch) replace the knock sensors and also put a new gasket on the plenum under cover and replace the screws with plenty of loctite. But if you really want to remove the gearbox feel free!