4200 CC Pipe from AC Condenser to drier fractured

GraemeA

Hi Guys

My AC isn't working and the cause is the pipe from the dryer/filter to the condenser is fractured at the condenser joint.

Does anyone know what I need to remove to get at these pieces? It will need a replacement pipe and a new filter/dryer.

Also the part numbers for the pipe are different for US versus other versions. It's an ex Singapore car so it would be helpful to know the difference as parts are easiest ex the US.

Many thanks and a brilliant forum!

Graeme

New Maserati lover in NZ.

conaero

Forum Owner
Welcome Graeme.

I would say this is a bumper off job as it sounds like the ac condenser is going to need to come out too.

There is a guide I did for the bumper removal on here if you search for it.

I don't know about the parts I am afraid

The bumper removal is quite a big job.

philw696

Welcome Graeme whereabouts are you in NZ I'm Lower North Island in Wanganui of of any help.

2b1ask1

Special case
Yep, bumper off is way easier, the US cars have a bigger condenser and more gas. Also replace the moisture trap cartridge whilst you are in there.

Knuckle protection is optional but allow for clearing skin and blood off parts if you don't.

Navcorr

Yep, bumper off is way easier, the US cars have a bigger condenser and more gas. Also replace the moisture trap cartridge whilst you are in there.

Knuckle protection is optional but allow for clearing skin and blood off parts if you don't.

Morning - could I ask if you know if the larger condenser can be fitted to Euro spec. models. Presumeably there is advantage to having a bigger unit? (Insert your own rude jokes here _______). Or is it a case of bigger is better like many things State side.

We'd be using the car quite a bit in v.hot weather and am wondering if:
1. It would be a useful upgrade on the smaller condenser.
2. The existing condenser ever needs changing why not change size at that point.
3. The size difference is so small 1. & 2. are just not worth bothering about.

Many thanks in advance. Love the advise about knuckle protection and consequences . Never used to see that level of guidance in a Haynes manual. :)

GraemeA

Thanks for the speedy replies guys.

I was hoping it wouldn't need bumper removal but c'est la vie. I'd found the help for that earlier thanks.

I've already done the cruise control upgrade with help from these pages, so many thanks. It was a bit of a shock to find it wasn't a standard feature and came across the forum when checking out options. Very useful if you want to avoid tickets through inattention.

The bigger condenser for the US makes sense but doesn't explain why the pipe would be a different part number. I'll pull the broken one out and see if it can be repaired, rather than buy a used one from Ebay and find it has a different fitting.

Thanks for the offer of help Phil but I'm in Hamilton.

Cheers

Graeme

philw696

No worries Graeme just back from Rotorua so wasn't far from Hamilton.
Did you buy the blue one that was forsale on Trademe a while back ?

GraemeA

No, it's the grey one (Grigori Alfieri) from Turners.

It had only done 3k on a new clutch and lots of older service history. Great so far, but needs the buttons done and the ac fixed. I've done an oil change 5-40 Helix Ultra (though I see the old services all mention 10-60w racing oil) and ordered some new spark plugs - Denso Iridium IU24 5362.

Just noticed I seem to have a coolant leak from the tee joint just below the coolant top up reservoir. Another thing to sort.

Cheers

Graeme

philw696

5W40 is the normal oil Graeme but in the hotter climate we use the Shell 10W60 in the dry sump engine not easy to get hold of here unless you know different.
I remember seeing yours on Turner's a bargain if I remember for New Zealand.
Love mine for long road trips out in the country.