Check engine light - codesign P2188 and P2190

Hedgetrimmer

The check engine light is virtually on perminantly on my Granturismo. The fuel cap was loose so I filled up and the duck taped it in place to see if I could get the light to go out. This didn't solve the problem so I bought an OBDII bluetooth device together with the Torque app for my phone and this has identify the following error codes:

P2188 System Too Rich at Idle Bank 1
P2190 System Too Rich at Idle Bank 2

The above may be linked to the fuel cap as fuel pressure may be too low causing poor combustion on idle but I am no mechanic. However can anyone throw more wisdom or experience to the issue?

Thanks

Carl

CatmanV2

Can't see why *low* fuel pressure would cause a rich condition (but no doubt someone can correct me) Rich on both banks is a bit odd, so perhaps the cold star enrichment is stuck on.

I think you might need a diagnostic for this

C

Hedgetrimmer

I thought the same until i had a similar problem on my Caterham R500. Low pressure lowers the amount of fuel delivered to the combustion chamber, insufficent for the fuel to generate a explosion so you end up with a rich mix post combustion.

CatmanV2

I thought the same until i had a similar problem on my Caterham R500. Low pressure lowers the amount of fuel delivered to the combustion chamber, insufficent for the fuel to generate a explosion so you end up with a rich mix post combustion.

Oh, that makes sense! Thanks :)

C

Hedgetrimmer

Spoke to a technician today and he suggested looking at whether there is an air leak after the MAF sensor. I don't think a leak is going to be easy to trace!

CatmanV2

Spoke to a technician today and he suggested looking at whether there is an air leak after the MAF sensor. I don't think a leak is going to be easy to trace!

Erm. Again, going to put my neck out, but an air leak would surely lean it up.....

C

voicey

It's the wrong code for an air leak. However an air leak is easy to trace if you smoke it out.

P2188 and P2190 are codes thrown when the additive fuel correction factor reaches the lower limit. This is slightly different to the multiplication factor - the former is used at idle and the latter during normal running.

What are your high/low load multiplication factors for each bank? Do you have an oscilloscope? If so trace the signal between pins 3 and 5 on the MAF.

Hedgetrimmer

Hi thanks for the advice. It's way beyond my technical expertise buy I will ask the local garage that I use to investigate further. Thanks Carl