Help! Steam / smoke from Granturismo 4.2 have I broken it!?

Wack61

How long have you had the car , I've been driving for 4 decades , over that time even the slightest coolant leak has been really noticeable because of the smell, when it's hot it's like no other engine smell , really sweet so it makes me wonder if yours only had water in it

philw696

Not known one to blow a head gasket.
Oil leaks yes and coolant hoses splitting and the plastic coolant tank.
Coolant should be changed every two years.
When doing clutches we used to change the little coolant hose at the back of the engine as a matter of course.
Good for a Dealer aye :)

perleman

It's on a truck now making it's way to storage for the night before heading to SMDG Performance near Horsham in the morning. I've had it for 5 months and done over 4000 miles in it with no overheating so am sure it had coolant in!
As the water temp meter got hotter towards red but I stopped well short of it getting to red, I am hoping the engine didn't overheat when I was driving...

perleman

So the shop called, a coolant pipe that goes between the 2 cylinder banks at the back of the engine has burst. New pipe on order along with another one in a similarly un-accessible position for good order's sake. Need to come over from Italy which takes 3 days. Bad news is that the inlet manifold needs to come off to access it. Total labor for job, guy is quoting 5-6 hours @ £85+VAT per hour so I'm looking at probably £800 ($800 USD) total including coolant and parts.

Not too bad but quite annoying. They don't think that the engine would have overheated, I'm guessing they'll do a leakdown test once it's all up and running again but I'm less nervous than I was a few days ago.

perleman

To be honest it's a huge relief for a Maserati engine problem
The way I see it is that I saved about £60,000 on depreciation by buying an 8 year old car so I'm still up!!! Man maths at its best!

philw696

Knew it would be that get the bottle checked carefully before the new coolant goes in and whilst the manifold is off if there is any sign of oil around the cam covers u would do them too and then she will be good for a few years.

Ryandoc

This sounds like exact same happened to me, there's a metal piece at rear of the engine, rubber hoses are connected to it and yes manifold off. I have some pics on photobucket I'll see if I can post them without photobucket going into a fit with adverts which it usually does.

Why this metal part failed on a coolant system is anyone's guess all we thought was manufacturing fault which had slowly weakened / corroded

Ryandoc

And it's this bit which is a pic from the net

My indi spoke to Maserati dealer who they know well and they said thy hadn't replaced many / any of these. To be fair I only found a couple posts online relating to it

perleman

That was exactly the part - the short one had burst completely. The long one looked fine but they changed it anyway given the incredible amount of effort to get to it and low cost of the part
It's not as pretty with the inlet manifold off is it

Ryandoc

Bit of a strange part to fail if you ask me but there's 2 of us. I asked for the part back to take a look but never got it so not exactly sure how it failed, definitely cant have burst can only think a hole from corrosion and possibly from outside in?

Wack61

Got it back all fixed! £800. Not too bad!View attachment 41833

It puts into perspective the potential costs involved in running a maserati for anyone looking in from the outside

I bought a 1997 Jaguar XK with a blown gearbox which turned into a blown engine as well

I sourced an engine and block out of an XJ but the only thing the same were the heads and block

My mechanic removed the engine and box, and stripped both down and swapped all the XK parts onto the XJ block, cams, sump,inlet manifolds , exhaust manifolds, changed the chains and tensioner, fitted it all and it fired first time but ran like a pig

This was because we didn't realise the starter ring gear which controlled the timing was different so the gearbox had to come back out .

Once it was swapped it ran like a Swiss watch for the 3 years I owned it until an abs fault killed it

For all that he charged me £1000

philw696

In my 18 months with Maserati I personally did several and they seem to split from the inside out from bursting.
To be honest and why I don't know but mainly affects the QP.

Ryandoc

In my 18 months with Maserati I personally did several and they seem to split from the inside out from bursting.
To be honest and why I don't know but mainly affects the QP.

That's interesting to know, blatantly not been designed right then, material / wall thickness etc

perleman

That's interesting to know, blatantly not been designed right then, material / wall thickness etc

It was split from inside out, looked like it had burst, big hole in it you could easily pass a 5p coin through

Re repair cost... it is all relative. The guy had repaired a NA California engine last week that Ferarri wanted £45k to replace. Cost £13k for the rebuild. Ouch.

philw696

This is what we would see on a regular basis doing a clutch so we would replace it as a precaution and clean the metal pipes up.
As the coolant is changed every 2 years you don't get internal corossion issues.
Really hard to inspect without a hoist.