Indicator problem

maverick

Solve the problem and start on the next .

I have a intermittent right turn indicator problem ,when I indicate to turn right some times its OK but mostly it struggles as if some thing was shorting out like a arking sound .

Any thoughts on what it might be ?

maverick

Just checked hazards are ok so wiggled the stalk about and now there are ok , so probably a bad connection in the stalk ?

Wack61

are the indicator connections anything to do with the clock spring in the steering column

Wack61

it's just that I'm getting electrical issues due to this including the indicators not working at all at times

CatmanV2

it's just that I'm getting electrical issues due to this including the indicators not working at all at times

Clockspring only takes signals from the bits on the steering wheel (so airbag and horn in your case) to the rest of the car. I can't see that it would have any impact on any other systems unless it's butting junk on the CAN from a bad connection. Even that shouldn't be on the same bus AFAIK.

Start a thread with your symptoms?

C

Wack61

It's been that long since I went near it I may be confusing clock spring with the ignition switch, I've got the part to fix it in the car, jiggling the key used to cure it but that's stopped now, A/C is dead , there was a period when the indicators didn't work which was connected to the key jiggling

CatmanV2

Clock spring is located in the steering column, just forward of the steering wheel. Ignition switch is located... ;) You've previously posted about your ignition switch woes :)

C

Wack61

Should I be wary when removing the wheel , I assume it's power off , wait an hour , screws out of the back of the wheel, disconnect airbag and hooter , undo big nut

Is that it, is a spring going bdoiiinngg when I take it off

Clocks have changed , I'm gaining enthusuiasm :D

CatmanV2

You can wait an hour if you like. Personally I wouldn't bother, until someone can explain the myth of 'residual current' ;)

Screws on the back are dotted torx. If I recall they are size 6. A small ratchet is useful. Disconnect. Release nut. Leave screwed on. Tug ineffectually at wheel :) You may need a puller but the Edd China way of bracing your knees behind the wheel is often effective. Make sure you're straight ahead and / or mark the position of the wheel on the bolt.

Nothing should go sproing.

Having said that, I'm not entirely sure you need to take the wheel off to change the ignition switch. Can't you just remove the shroud? You may still need to remove the outside of the wheel, but you can do that with allen bolts that attach it to the hub.

C

maverick

Update . I took the indicator stalk off and checked it and everything seems to be ok , located the relay and gave it a wiggle and it seemed to work than not work so I have another one on its way , I checked it today and the fuse had blown so I changed it and now I have no indicators even if I wiggle the relay but the hazards still work , Iam hoping the new relay will fix it but it's a Maserati so Iam not holding my breath is there anything else I should check ?